OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 09:02:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Son is poopy...a lot  (Read 563 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: August 07, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »

OK, this probably should be filed in the TMI file, but for all of you parents, orthodox and non-orthodox alike, out there, what is the best way to "stop up" my little boy's colon?  for the past few days, we've had to change a dirty diaper about three or four times a day and with that, much of the time, an outfit.  It's not diarrhea, he's just going a lot more than usual.  I've been told that certain fruits, e.g. applesauce and bananas can help turn off the spigot and we've fed him those with no change.  It may also well be a little stomach bug, but I'm afraid that  if this continues, he may not be allowed at daycare.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Again, sorry for the TMI.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:10:41 PM »

OK, this probably should be filed in the TMI file, but for all of you parents, orthodox and non-orthodox alike, out there, what is the best way to "stop up" my little boy's colon?  for the past few days, we've had to change a dirty diaper about three or four times a day and with that, much of the time, an outfit.  It's not diarrhea, he's just going a lot more than usual.  I've been told that certain fruits, e.g. applesauce and bananas can help turn off the spigot and we've fed him those with no change.  It may also well be a little stomach bug, but I'm afraid that  if this continues, he may not be allowed at daycare.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Again, sorry for the TMI.

Ask your doctor, but it sounds like he is normal. You do not want to overmedicate the little one. Drugs do terrible things.

When my son was little, pooping three to four times a day was normal. He was a breastfed baby. Thank God that he was not constipated. Otherwise, he could have cried and had other problems like gas and colic.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:11:47 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:57:24 PM »

Sounds normal to me. Is he still nursing? Did you recently start solids or heavier foods? I've worked in preschools and daycares and as long as it isn't diarrhea versus normal poo they won't send him home.

Does kiddo like cheese and is he old enough to eat it? If so give him 1-2oz. of it, that works better than the fruits for some.

If he is breastfed maybe mom ate something that is upsetting his digestive system; had it happen a few times with my boys.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:21:11 PM by rebecca.ann » Logged

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:16:49 PM »

have you checked with the pediatrician?  my one son had a virus once that gave his diarrhea for nearly a month.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 12:42:49 AM »

Sounds normal to me. Is he still nursing? Did you recently start solids or heavier foods? I've worked in preschools and daycares and as long as it isn't diarrhea versus normal poo they won't send him home.

Does kiddo like cheese and is he old enough to eat it? If so give him 1-2oz. of it, that works better than the fruits for some.

If he is breastfed maybe mom ate something that is upsetting his digestive system; had it happen a few times with my boys.

He's 13 months old and we switched him from formula to whole milk a month go.  He pretty much eats what we eat though we haven't given him cheese.

have you checked with the pediatrician?  my one son had a virus once that gave his diarrhea for nearly a month.

It's only been a few days. It's not diarrhea; he just seems to go #2 more than usual and there's lots of it. He may have a stomach bug, but i don't know for sure.  But what foods are best to stuff him up?  That's what u would like to try first.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 01:56:05 AM »

He's 13 months old and we switched him from formula to whole milk a month go.  He pretty much eats what we eat though we haven't given him cheese.

It's only been a few days. It's not diarrhea; he just seems to go #2 more than usual and there's lots of it. He may have a stomach bug, but i don't know for sure.  But what foods are best to stuff him up?  That's what u would like to try first.

Give the cheese a try. Besides the fruits you mentioned, I found that toast/bread or soft rice works good for slowing down all that as well. If he drinks fruit juices then maybe ease off those til #2 slows down a bit because most fruits are natural laxatives.

If he is fine besides going a lot, just wait a few more days and try the other foods.....you're his parent, you will know if he is sick and needing a doctor's appointment versus something that can be gotten over with time and home care.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:00:08 AM by rebecca.ann » Logged

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 03:25:51 AM »

Don't try and stop him up. There is no need. Pooping multiple times a day is better than once a day for little colons as long as it isn't odd in consistency/content. Kids seem to be stopped up, or unstoppable, there isn't normally much of anything inbetween.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:27:12 AM »

The BRAT diet is for diarrhea; Bananas, Rice, Applesause, Toast.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 04:47:27 AM »

It may be the milk doing it. You could try goat's milk for a couple of days. I had to do that with my son, for another reason, but I don't think it was a coincidence that his poo went solid instantly on it.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: