OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 07:25:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Francis on Orthodox Liturgy  (Read 5067 times) Average Rating: 0
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »

Exactly but not with compromise on our part.  They are welcome home but not to change us.   Sorry, I do not trust them.

Viking

We (Catholics) have heard this come-on-home message an innumerable number of times. Which is not to say that there's any harm in hearing it again from you, but on the other hand one more time isn't going to "do the trick".

Why are you camping on our door step on this forum?  Just hanging around in the hood?

I don't think it's fair to question Peter J's reasons for posting here. Those are between God and him.

Of course, if you want the real reason, it's to convert us all to his horribly heretical brand of "Papal" Orthodoxy with idle words and empty promises.  Wink

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
peacenprayer

Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »

I always enjoy it when I see some shown from one side to the other Smiley

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »

That wasn't all he had to say about the Orthodox in that onboard interview. Re: giving sacraments to those with "second marriages".
http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/gmg-26831//pag/2/

Specifically citing "mercy" and "economia" and opposition to "clericalism".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:21:49 PM by John Larocque » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »

Exactly but not with compromise on our part.  They are welcome home but not to change us.   Sorry, I do not trust them.

Viking

We (Catholics) have heard this come-on-home message an innumerable number of times. Which is not to say that there's any harm in hearing it again from you, but on the other hand one more time isn't going to "do the trick".

Why are you camping on our door step on this forum?  Just hanging around in the hood?

I don't think it's fair to question Peter J's reasons for posting here. Those are between God and him.

Of course, if you want the real reason, it's to convert us all to his horribly heretical brand of "Papal" Orthodoxy with idle words and empty promises.  Wink

Not always! Sometimes I just grind their bones to make some bread. Smiley

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »

Maybe, but not all hierarchy in the RC have eastern rite parishes and are pastorally responsible fOr them. Was Benedict XVI ever cardinal archbishop for any eastern rite congregations?  I'm sure that as prefect of the congregation of the doctrine of the faith, he had to involve himself with the hierarchy of the eastern rite, but this was not done in any pastoral manner.

I'm not sure if Benedict XVI ever had pastoral responsibility over Eastern Catholic communities while he was a diocesan bishop, and as I said before, I don't think it matters either way.  Neither he nor Francis were elected based on their experience or lack thereof with the Christian East. 

It was simply my observation that, in the immediate aftermath of the election and the rush of journalists and bloggers to find out more about Jorge Bergoglio, one of the "facts" presented was that he was bishop for the Eastern Catholics, and so he had "experience" with the Christian East.  That pastoral responsibility, on its own, means very little in terms of familiarity.  Supposedly he would visit the Russians on Old Calendar Christmas, is good friends with the new Ukrainian Catholic primate, etc., so there's obviously more to it than just an "on paper" arrangement.  But I don't know if it's everything that many RC commentators would have us believe.  I don't believe there's a hidden agenda there, I think it's just assigned more importance than it has. 

Personally, I think a positive comment about the liturgy is a first, "knee jerk" response to any question regarding Orthodoxy, and given that these were off-the-cuff remarks, so be it (they were beautiful remarks, after all).  Perhaps there were "political" or "diplomatic" reasons why he couldn't go beyond that, but I can't help thinking that, in what is increasingly becoming a "post-Christian" Europe, his response to a question about the 1025th anniversary of the Christianisation of a good part of Europe could've been more than, in essence, "They have a cool liturgy, we need that". 

That he can say this about the Orthodox liturgy while at the same time allowing his own Church's liturgy to run the gamut, even in his own celebrations, is another matter, but the irony is not lost on liturgically minded RC's. 

Along with your question I would ask: what of the Western credentials of Patriarch Bartholew or the other patriarchs?

Since I don't believe "Eastern credentials" are "necessary" for a Pope of Rome, I don't think "Western credentials" are "necessary" for the Orthodox primates.  They should know how to do their job at least satisfactorily. 

Good post.  Cool

Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »

Those who believe in the Pope can change. God always calls them as He calls us. If they listen or not is their choice. We cannot change others but we can change us.
If we find a chance we try to aid them see where the Truth is.
P.S. In our churches there is another feeling, we feel better the presence of God.  Grin

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »

P.S. In our churches there is another feeling, we feel better the presence of God.  Grin
The faith is not about what one "feels" but about how one lives in union with Christ. There have been times where I thought I better "felt" the presence of God at charismatic rock masses. But as I grew up, I realized that what I feel, and what is are not one and the same. I know that God is present wherever the liturgy is celebrated, but I also know that God is better honored when the liturgy is reverent and not watered down.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2013, 04:03:20 AM »

Faith of course hasn't have to do with what you feel. I just said that there is another atmosphere, there is soemthign different in the Eastern orthodox Churches. You feel that this is the Truth. No because that feeling but because of the call. It is hard to explain. I was an old calendarist( a heretic group in Greece which has this name) The churches are the same as the Eastern orthodox ones. But to whoever Old calendarist ''church'' I went there was not that feelign that I feel in all the Eastern orthodox churches.  Cheesy

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »

Faith is an experiential reality that transcends intellectual comprehension, and that is why St. Gregory of Nyssa said that one must "unknow" (i.e., intellectually / discursively) God in order to really "know" (i.e., experience) Him (see St. Gregory's Commentaries on the Canticle of Canticles).

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 07:52:45 AM »

Faith is an experiential reality that transcends intellectual comprehension, and that is why St. Gregory of Nyssa said that one must "unknow" (i.e., intellectually / discursively) God in order to really "know" (i.e., experience) Him (see St. Gregory's Commentaries on the Canticle of Canticles).

Smiley

You didn't happen to go to a Western liturgy yesterday? (The 2nd Reading was Hebrews 11:1-2, 8-12. "Faith is the hypostasis of things hoped for" etc.)

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »

Smiley

You didn't happen to go to a Western liturgy yesterday? (The 2nd Reading was Hebrews 11:1-2, 8-12. "Faith is the hypostasis of things hoped for" etc.)
No, I didn't.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »

You feel that this is the Truth.
This is the part I disagree with. You don't feel truth. You know, love, and live it.

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »

Wasn't Pope Francis, when he was still Cardinal in Argentina, the prefect of the Eastern Rite Congregations in South America?  I'm not surprised by his comments especially if he was actively involved in governing them which would (I would think) require him to know a great deal of the Eastern Rite Liturgy as well as its praxis.

This keeps getting brought up from time to time to accentuate Pope Francis' "Eastern credentials", but it's not uncommon for the Latin bishop to have pastoral oversight over Eastern Catholics in his territory whose Churches don't have a hierarchy in that particular place.  Beyond having friends, visiting once in a while, etc., can he really be said to have the Eastern credentials some want us to believe?  Personally, I don't think it really matters much, but I am curious.

Shortly after the pope’s election, Patriarch Sviatoslav wrote:

The newly elected Pope Francis was mentored by one of our priests, Stepan Chmil who is now buried in the basilica of St. Sophia in Rome. Today’s Pope, during his time as a student of the Salesian school, awoke many hours before his classmates to concelebrate at our Divine Liturgy with Fr. Stepan. He knows our Tradition very well, as well as our Liturgy.

The last time I had an opportunity to see him was as I was preparing to leave Argentina for Ukraine. I asked him to bear witness to the process of beatifying Fr. Stepan Chmil, to which, he gladly agreed. The Holy Father very well knows not only of our Church, but also our liturgy, our rites, and our spirituality.

Apart from this, Pope Francis, as archbishop of Buenos Aires, was assigned as ordinary for Eastern Catholics, specifically those who at the time did not have members of their own hierarchy. Our Eparchy in Argentina is, let’s say, suffragan to the Archbishop’s seat of Buenos Aires.  In this way, Cardinal Bergoglio, always took care of our Church in Argentina; and as a young bishop, I took my first steps in episcopal ministry under his watchful eyes and help.  Because of this, I am positive that the Holy Father will be a great help to our Church, and I expect that great things await our Church with this Pope.
http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/catholics/ugcc/51592/

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »

Wasn't Pope Francis, when he was still Cardinal in Argentina, the prefect of the Eastern Rite Congregations in South America?  I'm not surprised by his comments especially if he was actively involved in governing them which would (I would think) require him to know a great deal of the Eastern Rite Liturgy as well as its praxis.

This keeps getting brought up from time to time to accentuate Pope Francis' "Eastern credentials", but it's not uncommon for the Latin bishop to have pastoral oversight over Eastern Catholics in his territory whose Churches don't have a hierarchy in that particular place.  Beyond having friends, visiting once in a while, etc., can he really be said to have the Eastern credentials some want us to believe?  Personally, I don't think it really matters much, but I am curious.

The newly elected Pope Francis was mentored by one of our priests, Stepan Chmil who is now buried in the basilica of St. Sophia in Rome. Today’s Pope, during his time as a student of the Salesian school, awoke many hours before his classmates to concelebrate at our Divine Liturgy with Fr. Stepan. He knows our Tradition very well, as well as our Liturgy.

The last time I had an opportunity to see him was as I was preparing to leave Argentina for Ukraine. I asked him to bear witness to the process of beatifying Fr. Stepan Chmil, to which, he gladly agreed. The Holy Father very well knows not only of our Church, but also our liturgy, our rites, and our spirituality.

Apart from this, Pope Francis, as archbishop of Buenos Aires, was assigned as ordinary for Eastern Catholics, specifically those who at the time did not have members of their own hierarchy. Our Eparchy in Argentina is, let’s say, suffragan to the Archbishop’s seat of Buenos Aires.  In this way, Cardinal Bergoglio, always took care of our Church in Argentina; and as a young bishop, I took my first steps in episcopal ministry under his watchful eyes and help.  Because of this, I am positive that the Holy Father will be a great help to our Church, and I expect that great things await our Church with this Pope.
Cool. I hope its all two. This Pope has me torn in half. I love his humble nature, care for the poor, and emphasis on a real love of Jesus. On the other hand, his disregard for liturgical traditions concerns me.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2013, 01:45:01 AM »

This is the part I disagree with. You don't feel truth. You know, love, and live it.

Maybe you know, love, live, and feel it.

"Who feels it knows it Lord." ~ Bob Marley (Berhane Selassie) ~

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
VarangianGuard

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2013, 01:52:46 AM »

Yea sure, Francis has such nice things about the OL while he's out to crush the TLM in his own.

Empty words again from Mr. Humility. Angry

Excellent comment from that article here;

"Encouraging? No i am very sorry. The last 4 popes have spoken beautiful words regarding the liturgy but at the same time they did nothing to drag us out of the mess THEY made. They say this and do the opposite. The liturgy has been destroyed in 90% of the catholic world and the current pope is not going to stop that. Look at his celebrations, they are a disgrace, even for the novus ordo. We are soooo getting tired with this. What is the meaning of these words he said about the Orthodox liturgy??? Nothing, they are empty because he acts in the opposite way. But hey, there are a lot of you cheering and saying: Ohhh thank you holy father! But the ordinary catholic man/woman in the street can do nothing with these words. They have to survive in former catholic countries (like Belgium) where the Mass has been completely raped and destroyed. We see the modernist forces grow even stronger and stronger today. It's a total wasteland here. We are at the end of our rope here...but ohhhh thank you holy father for the beautiful words..."

No doubt, the Pope likes our Divine Liturgy (DL) because it is ancient.
And like the reformers who wrote the ICEL liturgy, he and his liturgists would cannibalize our DL and do horrible things with it. That is the fear that a lot of Eastern Catholics shared with me when I was in the Melkite Eastern Catholic Church. And frankly, that is why a lot of Melkites have gone East to the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

Exactly. Judging from very recent history, they are standing in the shadows just waiting to devour and novusordoize the DL.
Instead of the Divine Liturgy, there would be Novus Liturgy, or something like that.
The comment you quoted is spot on. Words doesn't mean a thing. Action does. Judging from his "liturgies", Pope Francis is even worse than JPII and Paul VI.
VarangianGuard

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2013, 02:04:49 AM »

When, after a papal election, did they NOT write such things? Everyone was sure about great things from Paul VI, JPII, Benedict XVI and now Pope Francis.
When a Pope is elected, it seems that there is a competition to make noses as brown as possible, hailing the popes.
They all claim the Pope for themselves. You'll find Call to Action, the Neo-Catechumenal Way, Fraternity of St. Peter and ICKSP all write about how great the Pope is and how much good will come from his papacy blah, blah, blah, in spite the extreme difference of these communities I mentioned. So, which is it? They can't all be right.
In my opinion, it is hubris and wishful thinking.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »

When, after a papal election, did they NOT write such things? Everyone was sure about great things from Paul VI, JPII, Benedict XVI and now Pope Francis.
When a Pope is elected, it seems that there is a competition to make noses as brown as possible, hailing the popes.
They all claim the Pope for themselves. You'll find Call to Action, the Neo-Catechumenal Way, Fraternity of St. Peter and ICKSP all write about how great the Pope is and how much good will come from his papacy blah, blah, blah, in spite the extreme difference of these communities I mentioned. So, which is it? They can't all be right.

I would say that a hierarch who has personal experience with the Pope can be given more weight than the wishful thinking of this or that group with no actual connection.

Pope Francis was mentored by a Greek Catholic priest.  Pope Francis made the effort to get up early to concelebrate the Divine Liturgy.  He has a level of experience with th Byzantine tradition previous popes have simply not had.

converted viking

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »

Wasn't Pope Francis, when he was still Cardinal in Argentina, the prefect of the Eastern Rite Congregations in South America?  I'm not surprised by his comments especially if he was actively involved in governing them which would (I would think) require him to know a great deal of the Eastern Rite Liturgy as well as its praxis.

This keeps getting brought up from time to time to accentuate Pope Francis' "Eastern credentials", but it's not uncommon for the Latin bishop to have pastoral oversight over Eastern Catholics in his territory whose Churches don't have a hierarchy in that particular place.  Beyond having friends, visiting once in a while, etc., can he really be said to have the Eastern credentials some want us to believe?  Personally, I don't think it really matters much, but I am curious.

I would say that a hierarch who has personal experience with the Pope can be given more weight than the wishful thinking of this or that group with no actual connection.

Pope Francis was mentored by a Greek Catholic priest.  Pope Francis made the effort to get up early to concelebrate the Divine Liturgy.  He has a level of experience with th Byzantine tradition previous popes have simply not had.
[/quote

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:46:50 AM by converted viking » Logged
converted viking

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2013, 07:47:37 AM »

Well good luck to you when the pope forces liturgical innovations on you and please don't tell me how you are a particular church and have your own rules.  You have your own rules if Rome finds them to be suitable to their way of thinking. You are in union with the papacy and are subservient to it.  Looks like to me the fox is in the hen house, oh wait it has already been there for a long time.

Viking
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2013, 08:01:35 AM »

To be fair, since he capitalized Truth, maybe he meant Christ?  If so, you'll agree with me that you can feel Truth?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »

Well good luck to you when the pope forces liturgical innovations on you and please don't tell me how you are a particular church and have your own rules. 

The result of that would probably be a lot more converts to Orthodoxy.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
converted viking

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2013, 08:19:22 AM »

[/quote]

I don't know.  I switched my canonical jurisdiction from Rome to the UGCC and the impression I got from most of the members in my parish is they would rather be Roman than Orthodox if push came to shove.  That being said we had a fair number of folks that could be called disenfranchised RCC members and were using the Greek Catholic Church as a life boat.  My opinion not any one else's.   I saw the light, looked at the history and left. 

Viking

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »

I don't know.  I switched my canonical jurisdiction from Rome to the UGCC and the impression I got from most of the members in my parish is they would rather be Roman than Orthodox if push came to shove.  That being said we had a fair number of folks that could be called disenfranchised RCC members and were using the Greek Catholic Church as a life boat.  My opinion not any one else's.   I saw the light, looked at the history and left.  

Viking

[/quote]

What leads me to a question:  If they feel this way, why not just move over to Rome?   And if this is a widespread feeling, what is the reason for an ECC?  Having one foot on the Rome side and the other foot in the ECC side sort of causes a parallel mentality.  I would not know how to deal with the duality of conflicting theologies.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:12:51 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
converted viking

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2013, 09:23:20 AM »

[/quote]

What leads me to a question:  If they feel this way, why not just move over to Rome?   And if this is a widespread feeling, what is the reason for an ECC?  Having one foot on the Rome side and the other foot in the ECC side sort of causes a parallel mentality.  I would not know how to deal with the duality of conflicting theologies.
[/quote]

Joe.  I do not know how they deal with it but I was no longer able to straddle the fence as I was becoming spiritually dysfunctional trying to resolve theological and historical issues. As soon as  left the RCC <was there 30+years>and changed jurisdiction to the UGCC my whole world blew up and that is when I punched out and left for Orthodoxy.   Hard thing to do in light of the fact my wife is still RC.

Viking
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:25:28 AM by converted viking » Logged
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »

I like the quotation below, because it is very patristic:

Our religion is founded on spiritual experience, seen and heard as sure as any physical fact in this world. Not theory, not philosophy, not human emotion, but experience.

+ St. Nikolai Velimirovic

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2013, 03:06:49 PM »

Well good luck to you when the pope forces liturgical innovations on you and please don't tell me how you are a particular church and have your own rules.  You have your own rules if Rome finds them to be suitable to their way of thinking. You are in union with the papacy and are subservient to it.  Looks like to me the fox is in the hen house, oh wait it has already been there for a long time.

Viking

I've only been going to a Melkite parish since 2002. But, for what my experience is worth, yes it can be difficult. Of course, a part of that is having Orthodox constantly analyzing us to judge us on our Eastern-ness.

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2013, 05:16:59 PM »

Viking

You can keep your ex-Catholic convert with an ax to grind commentary to yourself.  It is wasted on me.  I've been hearing it for 41 years and it is nonsense.  Who are you trying to convince me or yourself?

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »

I'm a convert from an RC background as well, Viking, but I don't know that that's a good way to go about analyzing thing. From what Eastern Catholic friends have told me, most of what goes on that has warped/degraded the praxis of the Eastern churches in union with Rome is self-imposed these days (i.e., from their own Melkite, Maronite, Syro-Malabar, etc. priests or bishops, not Rome), and this has been the case for a while. Granted, it can be argued (and certain Eastern Catholic friends of mine definitely have argued this) that Rome has done nothing to help these situations, calls for returns to "Eastern tradition" notwithstanding, but still...it is important to recognize how many of these issues can be seen as very local, rather than a direct result of the ecclesiology of that communion (some could say it's a manifestation of the problems that come with it, but it's a little simplistic to say "Rome did it", if in fact Bishop so-and-so or your local priest is really the one to blame).

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »

I'm a convert from an RC background as well, Viking, but I don't know that that's a good way to go about analyzing thing. From what Eastern Catholic friends have told me, most of what goes on that has warped/degraded the praxis of the Eastern churches in union with Rome is self-imposed these days (i.e., from their own Melkite, Maronite, Syro-Malabar, etc. priests or bishops, not Rome), and this has been the case for a while. Granted, it can be argued (and certain Eastern Catholic friends of mine definitely have argued this) that Rome has done nothing to help these situations, calls for returns to "Eastern tradition" notwithstanding, but still...it is important to recognize how many of these issues can be seen as very local, rather than a direct result of the ecclesiology of that communion (some could say it's a manifestation of the problems that come with it, but it's a little simplistic to say "Rome did it", if in fact Bishop so-and-so or your local priest is really the one to blame).

So, what you are saying is that, it may be the local ECC bishops that could be compromising praxis and beliefs in favor of a more Roman way, and that Rome is purposely ignoring this trend? 
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »

None of my Eastern Catholic friends have said that Rome was purposely ignoring the trend, but the rest seems pretty accurate from what they say.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2013, 06:22:11 PM »

None of my Eastern Catholic friends have said that Rome was purposely ignoring the trend, but the rest seems pretty accurate from what they say.

One has to wonder why these bishops would be doing this considering that they were once Orthodox in practice.  Maybe they are looking to be placed in a more favorable light by Rome.  Heaven knows this there were decenters on both sides when the ECC came into communion with Rome.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »

To be fair, since he capitalized Truth, maybe he meant Christ?  If so, you'll agree with me that you can feel Truth?
Nope. I don't. I don't think one feels Christ. He's not an emotion. We love and experience him, but I don't see how feelings fit into it. I'm not trying to be difficult. Sorry if it comes off that way.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:23:09 PM by Papist » Logged

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »

To be fair, since he capitalized Truth, maybe he meant Christ?  If so, you'll agree with me that you can feel Truth?
Nope. I don't. I don't think one feels Christ. He's not an emotion. We love and experience him, but I don't see how feelings fit into it. I'm not trying to be difficult. Sorry if it comes off that way.  Embarrassed

Lord knows we have had more than enough feelings during the Charismatic movement.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »

Lord knows we have had more than enough feelings during the Charismatic movement.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

converted viking

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »

Viking

You can keep your ex-Catholic convert with an ax to grind commentary to yourself.  It is wasted on me.  I've been hearing it for 41 years and it is nonsense.  Who are you trying to convince me or yourself? 

Well Hello Deacon Lance.  Hope you are well.    Nah it isn't nonsense and to be sure I am trying to convince you.  I was convinced awhile back.  Ax to grind?  Nope, just check out the facts, you can start with the Ustashi and the Vatican and there are a lot of other goodies as well.

Viking
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2013, 10:22:58 PM »

Viking

Well Hello Deacon Lance.  Hope you are well.    Nah it isn't nonsense and to be sure I am trying to convince you.  I was convinced awhile back.  Ax to grind?  Nope, just check out the facts, you can start with the Ustashi and the Vatican and there are a lot of other goodies as well.

Viking
But there's an ax in your avatar.  Smiley

converted viking

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »

Well good luck to you when the pope forces liturgical innovations on you and please don't tell me how you are a particular church and have your own rules.  You have your own rules if Rome finds them to be suitable to their way of thinking. You are in union with the papacy and are subservient to it.  Looks like to me the fox is in the hen house, oh wait it has already been there for a long time.

Viking

You can keep your ex-Catholic convert with an ax to grind commentary to yourself.  It is wasted on me.  I've been hearing it for 41 years and it is nonsense.  Who are you trying to convince me or yourself?  

Well Hello Deacon Lance.  Hope you are well.    Nah it isn't nonsense and to be sure I am trying to convince you.  I was convinced awhile back.  Ax to grind?  Nope, just check out the facts, you can start with the Ustashi and the Vatican and there are a lot of other goodies as well.

Viking
But there's an ax in your avatar.  Smiley

True.  I forgot about that.  It does look a wee bit worn Grin

Viking
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:28:25 PM by converted viking » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »

Well Hello Deacon Lance.  Hope you are well.    Nah it isn't nonsense and to be sure I am trying to convince you.  I was convinced awhile back.  Ax to grind?  Nope, just check out the facts, you can start with the Ustashi and the Vatican and there are a lot of other goodies as well.

Viking

Papist I am shocked to hear you stereotyping this way! Just because someone has an ax doesn't mean that it is to be ground.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »

Viking

Papist I am shocked to hear you stereotyping this way! Just because someone has an ax doesn't mean that it is to be ground.
What is an ax for, if not to be ground?

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2013, 03:21:58 AM »

Viking
But there's an ax in your avatar.  Smiley

What is an ax for, if not to be ground?
Beheading heretics.  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:22:24 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2013, 04:45:04 AM »

It's both amazing and a political thing to impress people. I generally focus on the good part, and I still do in this case, but in these days the political campaign of the Catholic Church (ecumenism would be included) is a bit too ridiculous and circus-like for my taste.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: