Author Topic: Divisions in the Orthodox Church are holding up ecumenical dialogue  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
Vatican Insider has written an article with that title. The money paragraph:

"The current adversities in theological dialogue are largely a side-effect of underlying conflicts that have always existed in the Orthodox Church. The politically and numerically preponderant Patriarchate of Moscow has persistently encouraged an alliance with the Catholic Church on ethical issues but has shown little interest in engaging in dialogue over theological questions. According to the Russians, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, would like to play Orthodox “pope”, gaining jurisdictional powers that are not in line with the ecclesiological concept of Eastern Christianity. Meanwhile, Russia’s revival as a super power is reigniting “imperialist” sentiment in the Patriarchate of Moscow."
http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/world-news/detail/articolo/ecumenismo-ecumenism-ecumenismo-27006/

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: Divisions in the Orthodox Church are holding up ecumenical dialogue
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »
Yeah, expect something reliable about inter-Orthodox affairs from a RC blog...
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »
After reading the entire article, it seems like a rather accurate assessment - regardless of the source. There is nothing new, or particularly controversial, in the paragraph Carl posted.

Offline converted viking

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 11:23:43 PM »
Vatican Insider has written an article with that title. The money paragraph:

"The current adversities in theological dialogue are largely a side-effect of underlying conflicts that have always existed in the Orthodox Church. The politically and numerically preponderant Patriarchate of Moscow has persistently encouraged an alliance with the Catholic Church on ethical issues but has shown little interest in engaging in dialogue over theological questions. According to the Russians, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, would like to play Orthodox “pope”, gaining jurisdictional powers that are not in line with the ecclesiological concept of Eastern Christianity. Meanwhile, Russia’s revival as a super power is reigniting “imperialist” sentiment in the Patriarchate of Moscow."
http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/world-news/detail/articolo/ecumenismo-ecumenism-ecumenismo-27006/

Actually I think one has to give the Russians some credit to standing up to Rome.   I really don't see anyone else saying it like it is.

Viking

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:35:43 PM »
They are having to open their eyes to the pastoral conversion suggested by Pope Francis

It is becoming increasingly clear that the reason why dialogue between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches has been proceeding at baby step pace with long stand-by phases is to be found in the Orthodox playing field, characterised by reservations and divisions...

Metropolitan Hilarion is the top representative of the Patriarchate of Moscow in the commission and yet the tone of distance he has got across in some statements, has not gone unnoticed. “We are wrong to try to present the theological traditions of our Churches as united at the highest level,” he said. Theological dialogue must not conceal but highlight the differences between Christian denominations.
It seems to ignore the truth itself experessed: "The politically and numerically preponderant Patriarchate of Moscow has persistently encouraged an alliance with the Catholic Church on ethical issues but has shown little interest in engaging in dialogue over theological questions."

And that doesn't have anything to do with "imperialist sentiment."  Just adherence to Orthodoxy, then same adherence demonstrated at the return of Met. Isidore the Apostate from Florence to Moscow.

No need, as is suggested, for a "supreme pontiff."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:37:06 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Peter J

• still a CAF poster
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »
I can understand how the tone -- or spin, or whatever you want to call it -- of that article could bother people. Nevertheless, I think there is some truth to it. I don't know about other Catholic posters like Papist, The Young Fogey, biro etc (hopefully they'll weigh in here) but speaking for myself I often feel like a pawn or token in a big game of Orthodox-ecumenist-vs-Orthodox-antiecumenist.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:53:02 PM by Peter J »
- Peter Jericho