OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 07:50:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breastfeeding  (Read 10459 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #720 on: August 17, 2013, 11:31:38 PM »

Seeing another woman's fully exposed breasts is something I try to avoid. I'm talking fully exposed since the baby was not attached. When trying to practice custody of the eyes it doesn't help to be presented with bare-chested women. Again....just a little discretion. That's not a lot to ask for.

It isn't, but you would think we were asking them to shut up and make breakfast barefoot.  

Besides, why are you looking at her bare breasts, you pervert. (Sarcasm)

I would also think a woman might be somewhat uncomfortable showing a strange man her breasts as well.

Not in todays world.  There is no shame or decency any longer.  They don't care about anyone else, just themselves.  Not just in this matter, but in pretty much everything.  Its a societal sickness.  They want you to give into their wants and bend over backward, yet they give nothing and continue to demand more.  Then they pretend, we who ask for women to be ladies, have something wrong with us.  Its pathetic really.

Who are "they?"

That depends on what you mean by "are".

Well, that was asinine.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #721 on: August 17, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »

Seeing another woman's fully exposed breasts is something I try to avoid. I'm talking fully exposed since the baby was not attached. When trying to practice custody of the eyes it doesn't help to be presented with bare-chested women. Again....just a little discretion. That's not a lot to ask for.

It isn't, but you would think we were asking them to shut up and make breakfast barefoot.  

I would also think a woman might be somewhat uncomfortable showing a strange man her breasts as well.

Not in todays world.  There is no shame or decency any longer.  They don't care about anyone else, just themselves.  Not just in this matter, but in pretty much everything.  Its a societal sickness.  They want you to give into their wants and bend over backward, yet they give nothing and continue to demand more.  Then they pretend, we who ask for women to be ladies, have something wrong with us.  Its pathetic really.

Who are "they?"

Well, that was asinine.

As was yours.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #722 on: August 17, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »

Who are "they?"

Bill Clinton .... is that you?   Huh  This forum has Bishops, Priests and now ex-Presidents.  I'm so glad to be a member of this forum.   Grin  Roll Eyes  Grin

Bill Clinton did ask what is "is" and now Kerdy asks what are "are."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:36:52 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #723 on: August 17, 2013, 11:38:24 PM »

If a woman is just sitting there with her breast hanging out and holding a baby (that isn't latched or in the process of being latched or unlatched) she isn't breastfeeding. That is just sitting there with your breast hanging out.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #724 on: August 17, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »

Why don't you just restate the question in a brand new quote-free post, Kerdy? I think a lot of us are having trouble sorting out which question you're actually referring to.  Cool

No.

That isn't my concern.  Perhaps if people would read first and then post instead of skimming and posting on something that was not being discussed, this would not be a habitual problem. police

Then stop saying no one's answering your question, if you're not willing to restate/repost it.  Roll Eyes

Or, you could actually put forth the effort by going back a page or two and actually read.  Or not, either way.  So far in this thread, you haven't so I suspect you will continue on the same path.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:41:46 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #725 on: August 17, 2013, 11:41:37 PM »

Who are "they?"

Well, that was asinine.

As was yours.

No. I was really wondering. But thank you for immediately assuming the worst. That's going to play well for you. Have a blessed Sunday.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #726 on: August 17, 2013, 11:42:33 PM »

If a woman is just sitting there with her breast hanging out and holding a baby (that isn't latched or in the process of being latched or unlatched) she isn't breastfeeding. That is just sitting there with your breast hanging out.

Please, people!  I have to commune tomorrow! 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #727 on: August 17, 2013, 11:45:25 PM »

No. I was really wondering. But thank you for immediately assuming the worst. That's going to play well for you. Have a blessed Sunday.

Here is the rub, bub.  I have been repeating myself this entire thread, I have been providing answer after answer, this entire thread, I have been clarifying over and over this entire thread.  No more.

People will have to actually use their brains from this point forward.  They will have to address what is being discussed and not some asinine interpretation of what they think is being said.  They will be required to use a little critical thinking.  They will actually have to read posts in their entirety.  For instance, “they” is obvious.  

If you have a sincere interest in understating what I post, just PM me and I will do my best to clarify, but not here for those who are purposely obtuse.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:46:59 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #728 on: August 17, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »

You are first Kerdy; HOW exactly would you ensure a woman would never breastfeed indiscreetly again? Because I have shown you where you either were ranting about fantasizing about assaulting a woman, or are threatening to assault a woman you deem immodestly breastfeeding in this thread. Until you state exactly HOW you would prevent a woman from ever breastfeeding in public in a manner you deem unfitting, it is safe to assume your threat is one of violence.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:55:11 PM by Quinault » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #729 on: August 17, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »

You are first Kerdy
No
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #730 on: August 17, 2013, 11:53:16 PM »

Ok, so you refuse to answer my question (and that of ZZ as well). Man, I wish a mod would make you answer the question. Because I really wonder just how off your rocker you are.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:54:15 PM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #731 on: August 18, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »

private message removed - MK

Being rude via PM doesn't help your case Kerdy.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:51:04 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #732 on: August 18, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »

private message removed - MK

Being rude via PM doesn't help your case Kerdy.
Interesting...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:51:18 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #733 on: August 18, 2013, 01:50:12 AM »

I adhere to the Welborn Protocol. Wink
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #734 on: August 18, 2013, 01:52:41 AM »

Contents of private message removed from post

For future reference, you are asked not to post to this forum the contents of private messages sent to you. This is both inappropriate and against forum rules. You are not receiving a warning for it this time, but do be careful not to do this again.

Thank you.

- PtA

The moderation team, after much deliberation on this subject, has come to the agreement that as a board we would request that ANY and ALL posters NOT publish Private Message material, unless they ask for the other person's consent to publish said material in a public manner. 

We would also like to point out that in the Message system there is an "ignore" button/feature which works very well to mitigate getting messages from unwanted posters.  This is always an option, for everyone. 

-  Serb1389. General Fora Moderator. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:06:46 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #735 on: August 18, 2013, 01:54:50 AM »

I adhere to the Welborn Protocol. Wink
You continue to reveal your true colors and contemptibility.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #736 on: August 18, 2013, 01:55:08 AM »

I am not under the impression that quoting rude PM's is lacking in respect. In fact, I believe it is you that needs to clarify what exactly you mean when you say you will be sure an immodest breastfeeding woman will NEVER do it again. That sounds like a threat to me. If it isn't a threat, if it is just bluster; please make that clear. Because it sounds like a threat of violence to me.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #737 on: August 18, 2013, 01:56:04 AM »

Thread locked pending moderator review
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #738 on: October 13, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »

Thread now unlocked, but with the following conditions placed on Kerdy, whose work to hijack this thread with his hostility prompted me to lock it:

1. In this post, http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52905.675.html, you are quoted as claiming that the state of California protected a contractor's rights to renovate a woman's house naked, with the woman inside her house, and against her objections. When Arachne asked you for proof of your claim, you attempted to shift the burden of proof onto Arachne by telling her that she could find the proof herself. You made the claim, which places on you alone the burden to prove your claim. If you wish to continue pressing that claim, then I charge you and you alone with the task of proving that claim. You are formally forbidden from shifting the burden of proof onto anyone else.

2. You have refused to answer others' request for basic definitions of terms central to the discussion, terms such as "sexual organ" (particularly how female breasts qualify as sex organs). If you wish to continue posting on this thread, you are to define exactly how a woman's breast is a sex organ.

3. You have been asked repeatedly to clarify what question you want answered, but you refuse to give the clarification requested of you. To wit, I refer you to the subthread that started here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52905.msg972463.html#msg972463. If you wish to continue posting on this thread, you are to state clearly what question you want to have answered.

4. You flat out refuse to answer this question from Quinault:

You are first Kerdy; HOW exactly would you ensure a woman would never breastfeed indiscreetly again? Because I have shown you where you either were ranting about fantasizing about assaulting a woman, or are threatening to assault a woman you deem immodestly breastfeeding in this thread. Until you state exactly HOW you would prevent a woman from ever breastfeeding in public in a manner you deem unfitting, it is safe to assume your threat is one of violence.
If you wish to continue posting on this thread, you are to answer this question.

Kerdy, as you can see, there are some things you need to do to curb your hostility on this thread if you wish to post here again. You have hijacked this thread and made it a battleground where you strike back at all who disagree with you, and at the same time you refuse to engage any questioning or criticism of your point of view. This is not how debate is to work on this forum. You can choose to not post on this thread again if you wish. If you choose to post on this thread again, though, you are formally directed to comply with the instructions I have posted above. Failure to comply will incur formal disciplinary measures against you.

To everyone else, I make the simple request that you avoid the use of any polemics (i.e., personal attacks) in your discussion and debate of this subject of breastfeeding.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #739 on: October 14, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »

We are famous: http://www.soundingblog.com/index.php/home-and-family/breastfeeding-without-shame.html

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #740 on: October 14, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »

Fixed it for you.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #741 on: October 14, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »

That proved my point that this forum is REFLECTIVE of what we are as a Church and how we package ourselves , yes that marketing term is appropriate - don't collectively pass out now - to others. We can deny that reality until the cows come home, but it is what it is.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #742 on: October 14, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »

That proved my point that this forum is REFLECTIVE of what we are as a Church and how we package ourselves , yes that marketing term is appropriate - don't collectively pass out now - to others. We can deny that reality until the cows come home, but it is what it is.

This place is more reflective of internet forums. Don't worry yourself too much. Really, you are entirely too sane to do so.

And packaging might matter for new wine but not for the whine contained in this thread and I ain't talking about hungry babies..
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:17:42 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #743 on: October 14, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »

If the banner and name of the site were to change, that might actually help avoid the impression to others that this was a serious place. It kinda looks serious, especially in Lent......

Then again, the Iranians thought the Onion was a real newspaper, so what the heck..... go for it.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #744 on: October 14, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »

If the banner and name of the site were to change, that might actually help avoid the impression to others that this was a serious place. It kinda looks serious, especially in Lent......

Then again, the Iranians thought the Onion was a real newspaper, so what the heck..... go for it.

Frankly, the guy who was so *shocked* by this thread I would bet is hamming it up. Look at his "work" and the rest of his "writing".  Unless you are waiting for the AOL 2.1 upgrade in the mail, you can't claim to be offended by anything on the internet while claiming to make any informed comment on it.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #745 on: October 14, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »

Frankly, the guy who was so *shocked* by this thread I would bet is hamming it up. Look at his "work" and the rest of his "writing".  Unless you are waiting for the AOL 2.1 upgrade in the mail, you can't claim to be offended by anything on the internet while claiming to make any informed comment on it.

I agree. 

I haven't studied the work of that article's author, but just reading the piece, I got the sense that he definitely didn't follow this whole thread (I don't blame him entirely, it's long, tedious, and makes you slightly disappointed to be a human being).  He probably found a controversial post or three, followed some of the posts before and after them, and "hammed up" the rest to make his article (and himself) come off as more reasonable.  Many of the things he says he did not see in the thread were actually there in the thread, repeatedly stated by many different posters.  Unless he completely missed that, I think it was easier for him to ignore that: his would've been a pretty stupid article if it was a long version of "A few people made inane comments about breastfeeding, others tried to respond reasonably, but eventually they divided into two camps and disagreed with one another."  Brilliant freaking observation.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #746 on: October 14, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »

Unless you are waiting for the AOL 2.1 upgrade in the mail...

LOL.  That made me feel old. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

« Reply #747 on: October 14, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »

When is the last time you got a DVD or CD in the mail?  I can't even remember when...

Now I DO feel old.  Undecided

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #748 on: October 14, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »

I just added a comment there, defending the fact that the vast majority of posters within this thread were NOT on the "breastfeeding is whoredom" side of the aisle, as seemed to be implied in the blog post.  Roll Eyes

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #749 on: October 14, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »

I just added a comment there, defending the fact that the vast majority of posters within this thread were NOT on the "breastfeeding is whoredom" side of the aisle, as seemed to be implied in the blog post.  Roll Eyes

Yeah, I cannot believe the lack of decency toward the female sex on this thread. Who do you think bore and nursed you, or better yet, bore and nursed Christ?

Nursing your child who has no other way to get food but wailing and sucking on it's mother's breast isn't public nudity. There are feminists who say women gave a right to be naked in public, but that has nothing to do with feeding a needy babe.

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #750 on: October 14, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »

I just added a comment there, defending the fact that the vast majority of posters within this thread were NOT on the "breastfeeding is whoredom" side of the aisle, as seemed to be implied in the blog post.  Roll Eyes

If I have not already posted, I breastfed my son for 3.5 years.
He did not want to wean, but I got bitten by a black widow spider and was forced to wean him.

I tried to use modest coverings, but sometimes my son's hand motions exposed me.  laugh  I can still see the prudish man at a local fabric store who stood there threatening and telling me to stop nursing, and then my son abruptly pushed aside the covering because the man's rude voice had awakened him from a peaceful sleep. That rude man got what was coming.  So, all around me saw my huge milk laden jugs.  angel
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:55:22 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #751 on: October 14, 2013, 09:12:59 PM »

There are feminists who say women gave a right to be naked in public, but that has nothing to do with feeding a needy babe.

And there are non-feminist men who say women have an obligation to be naked in public - as long as they are the public!

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #752 on: October 14, 2013, 09:14:26 PM »

I haven't read every post on this thread, but it seems to me that like many of the offending posts in this thread would be better off on orthodoxkerdanity.net than here.

Maybe that is the place where the "better board" can begin.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #753 on: October 14, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »

y?

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #754 on: October 15, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »

When is the last time you got a DVD or CD in the mail?  I can't even remember when...

Hey now, I have 50 FREE hours of AOL on a floppy just waiting to be used.  I can't wait to try out those new chat rooms.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #755 on: October 15, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »

Hey now, I have 50 FREE hours of AOL on a floppy just waiting to be used.  I can't wait to try out those new chat rooms.

Don't.  They are full of virusses and sexual predators like Edward Cullen.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #756 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10:16 AM »

Don't.  They are full of virusses and sexual predators like Edward Cullen.

I've had this disk since 1998.  I think it's evil, since it has followed me during several moves.  Edward Cullen may be inside there.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #757 on: October 19, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »

Indeed. No need for shock. It's just blog fodder. (I remember the days when Orthodox blogs were mostly written by single convert men whining about how sinful they were and how no woman was interested in them. But those days of innocence have passed on and now we are left with ego-enhancing exercises in self-affirmation thinly disguised as news.)

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #758 on: October 19, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »

There are feminists who say women gave a right to be naked in public, but that has nothing to do with feeding a needy babe.

And there are non-feminist men who say women have an obligation to be naked in public - as long as they are the public!

That would be distracting at first, but I suppose one would get used to it after awhile.

Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #759 on: October 19, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »

I'm sorry, what exactly was the topic of this breastfeeding thread? It's too much to look up, enlighten me. Just curious.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #760 on: October 19, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »

I'm sorry, what exactly was the topic of this breastfeeding thread? It's too much to look up, enlighten me. Just curious.

No, my friend, it's really not worth your trouble.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #761 on: October 19, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »

Don't worry about it.  Curiosity killed viciously slaughtered the cat.  But if you want to waste a few hours... Smiley

Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #762 on: October 19, 2013, 07:12:47 PM »

I trust you both Smiley Plus, what's another person's opinion anyway  Wink
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #763 on: October 19, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »

Plus, what's another person's opinion anyway  Wink

If everyone had that feeling, no one would ever post and this place would be boring.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #764 on: October 19, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »

Plus, what's another person's opinion anyway  Wink

If everyone had that feeling, no one would ever post and this place would be boring.  Tongue

True. I was kidding  Grin
Tags: breastfeeding 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: