Author Topic: Breastfeeding  (Read 13735 times)

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
Re: Breastfeeding
« Reply #765 on: October 19, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »
Just happened on this multi-vehicle pile up.

As a father, and grandfather of girls I became very aware that breast feed babies need feeding frequently and are not particular as to place. Just as getting a bottle to one hungry child satisfies it's needs another needs Mum's breast. Seeing a contented baby being feed is one of life's better moments. As for exhibitionism I've never seen such in relation to breast feeding.

In terms of the tasteless display of too much flesh there are sadly many examples but breast feeding is not one of them, in my book. Women do not always find breast feeding easy and harassment from those who ought to know better helps neither child nor parent.

Mums, carry on. Your baby's needs outweigh the outrage of your critics.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Can you stand on your head?
  • Faith: ✓
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #766 on: October 19, 2013, 08:19:20 PM »
Oh, this thread... This glorious, glorious thread. It introduced me to my favorite .gif, so I count it as a win.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #767 on: October 19, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »
What gif was that?
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
« Reply #768 on: October 19, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
What gif was that?

This:

Posted by the incomparable Quinault. To see it in context, check out the bottom of page 6.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #769 on: October 19, 2013, 08:24:16 PM »
That is a good one...sometimes, I wish we had sound.  :)

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
« Reply #770 on: October 19, 2013, 08:25:51 PM »
That one is appropriate for so many threads. It's the gif that keeps on giving!  ;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #771 on: October 19, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
I'm sorry, what exactly was the topic of this breastfeeding thread? It's too much to look up, enlighten me. Just curious.
To summarize, some people here apparently believe that a woman breastfeeding is a sex act that automatically makes her a slut.  Everyone else thinks that is a stupid idea.  Endless argumentation ensued resulting the the thread getting locked and reopened a few times. Good times were had. We laughed, we cried, and we insulted each other.

The end.
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #772 on: October 19, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »
I'm sorry, what exactly was the topic of this breastfeeding thread? It's too much to look up, enlighten me. Just curious.
To summarize, some people here apparently believe that a woman breastfeeding is a sex act that automatically makes her a slut.  Everyone else thinks that is a stupid idea.  Endless argumentation ensued resulting the the thread getting locked and reopened a few times. Good times were had. We laughed, we cried, and we insulted each other.

The end.

Excellent summary.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Merarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #773 on: October 19, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »
Just happened on this multi-vehicle pile up.

As a father, and grandfather of girls I became very aware that breast feed babies need feeding frequently and are not particular as to place. Just as getting a bottle to one hungry child satisfies it's needs another needs Mum's breast. Seeing a contented baby being feed is one of life's better moments. As for exhibitionism I've never seen such in relation to breast feeding.

In terms of the tasteless display of too much flesh there are sadly many examples but breast feeding is not one of them, in my book. Women do not always find breast feeding easy and harassment from those who ought to know better helps neither child nor parent.

Mums, carry on. Your baby's needs outweigh the outrage of your critics.

Thanks. A truly wise response.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Faith2545

• Elder
« Reply #774 on: October 19, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
  Endless argumentation ensued resulting the the thread getting locked and reopened a few times. Good times were had. We laughed, we cried, and we insulted each other.

The end.

I see. Thanks for the update. In other words, the basics...just like all threads  :P

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #775 on: January 12, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
We are famous: http://www.soundingblog.com/index.php/home-and-family/breastfeeding-without-shame.html

OK, I completely missed this. And now the link isn't working. What was the gist of it?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #776 on: January 12, 2014, 07:14:14 PM »
LOL, I was thinking of bumping this thread last night!!

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #777 on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:45 PM »
We are famous: http://www.soundingblog.com/index.php/home-and-family/breastfeeding-without-shame.html

OK, I completely missed this. And now the link isn't working. What was the gist of it?

Author was bashing the forum because it allowed Kerdy and co. express their nonsensical beliefs freely.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #778 on: January 12, 2014, 07:36:40 PM »
I was going to add the article about the Pope encouraging women to breast feed in the Sistine chapel. But now that seems sort of silly.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #779 on: January 12, 2014, 07:37:20 PM »
I was going to add the article about the Pope encouraging women to breast feed in the Sistine chapel. But now that seems sort of silly.
Yet another reason we should hate breastfeeding.  ;)
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #780 on: January 12, 2014, 07:41:16 PM »
I read thru this thread, and I certainly had my sarcastic hat on at times. ::) I have been working hard on reining that part of my personality in. So it is weird to read it when I give it a little lead on the leash. (yes, I only gave it a little lead in this thread, what I think is far worse than what I type/say most of the time).

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #781 on: January 13, 2014, 08:09:10 AM »

It depends on the age of the infant so fed.  ;)
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
« Reply #782 on: January 17, 2014, 09:17:32 PM »
You're brave, Quinault. I'm afraid to go back and re-read myself in this one.  :D

Offline wainscottbl

• Aspie weirdo of the forum
  • Archon
« Reply #783 on: January 18, 2014, 12:55:29 AM »
Gee, this guy will tell you all about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oISfHJNgToQ

Or better yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAVEqND_Ns

Tell me, Senator: Did you breast feed your daughter...toughened your nipples didn't it....
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life." --Gebre Menfes Kidus

I once said to my father, when I was a boy, 'Dad we need a third political party.' He said to me, 'I'll settle for a second.' --Ralph Nader, America's Cato

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #784 on: May 14, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »
they can set up one of those pictures that started this whole thing, and they can congregate there.  Far from the Kerdy section.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #785 on: May 15, 2014, 10:22:44 AM »
nvm
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:06:00 PM by LizaSymonenko »
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #786 on: May 15, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
nvm

Best response of the whole thread!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #787 on: May 18, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »
This thread has run its course. Move along, move along, nothing to see here, citizens.

~Arachne (Section Moderator)
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox