OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:18:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breastfeeding  (Read 10807 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2012, 09:25:59 AM »

I don't care if it is "artful" or "natural". There are certain parts of our bodies which are reserved for our spouses eyes only (and our doctors).
So you are okay with breasts, just as long as they aren't used for their primary... ministry, shall we say?

Rather silly.

I thinks it's silly that you missed the whole point of what I said... Either your mother or your wife. Why do you automatically jumped to conclusions with your mind in the gutter.

Like I said, one shouldn't see another woman's breasts unless they are a doctor or the woman is their mother or wife (or daughter).

The whole stupid culture we live in had deadened too many people to such exposure and has led so many people to automatically think with their mind in the gutter. That's going to continue getting worse the more we let liberals have their way with our society.
The problem is, in the Middle East, not exactly a hotbed of liberalism, this "exposure" you are rallying against is the norm.  As a matter of fact, those who lived no where else were amused/perplexed by my prudishness about it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »

You're no better than the Papists who bashed my ancestors heads against the trees after Baptising them so they wouldn't grow up worshipping the Aztec gods.
From what I've heard, there were actually many Catholic priests killed trying to prevent their newly baptized flock from being enslaved/abused.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »

You're no better than the Papists who bashed my ancestors heads against the trees after Baptising them so they wouldn't grow up worshipping the Aztec gods.
From what I've heard, there were actually many Catholic priests killed trying to prevent their newly baptized flock from being enslaved/abused.
The Mission

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:30 AM »

So what culture would you have a model? Older European? Because they don't traditionally require covering either. Up until the Victorian era, they didn't cover. The Victorian era is when only the poor breastfed. But men also had their penis' pierced so they could get into certain styles of pants Roll Eyes

My native culture certainly didn't cover given the fact that no one wore *any* clothing whatsoever the majority of the time. African cultures? Nope, that don't cover either.

TBH I exclude barbarian cultures from being good examples for much.

We have different definition of barbarism.

I am really starting to understand why Constantinople thinks 28th canon of Chalcedon applies to the USA.
Speaking of a guy showing his "junk," in Istanbul they have mass public circumcisions now.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »

Barbarians are people's who aren't civilized, like the Franks, Goths, Celts and many others. Christianity is whT helped make the Celts more civilized.

LOL! More civilized?!?! Christianity--at least Roman Catholicism--is what caused them to become MORE barbaric. If it weren't for Roman Catholicism then so many of my ancestors in Central and South America wouldn't have been murdered, enslaved at labour plantations and stripped of their pre-Colombian culture. I don't see non-Christian "barbarians" (except maybe Muslims) doing that to people on such a large scale.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »

Barbarians are people's who aren't civilized, like the Franks, Goths, Celts and many others. Christianity is whT helped make the Celts more civilized.

LOL! More civilized?!?! Christianity--at least Roman Catholicism--is what caused them to become MORE barbaric. If it weren't for Roman Catholicism then so many of my ancestors in Central and South America wouldn't have been murdered, enslaved at labour plantations and stripped of their pre-Colombian culture. I don't see non-Christian "barbarians" (except maybe Muslims) doing that to people on such a large scale.

Except pretty much everybody, you mean? Sadly, since the fall it has been taken as a part of "human nature" (whatever that means) to enslave and do all those other bad things to other people pretty much because they are other people and you want their land, resources, etc. The Europeans are singled out, oddly enough, due to their own ignorance of other peoples' histories of doing the same thing and the fact that their version of the world and how it works has been so long taken as normative...but you know, the whole romantic "noble savage" myth is a quintessentially European/Enlightenment kind of idea. Turns out the Mayans, for instance, were not actually the peaceful stargazers some early researchers wanted them to be. Same could be said of basically every people, "barbarians" or not.
Ironic, isn't it?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »

The Europeans are singled out, oddly enough, due to their own ignorance of other peoples' histories of doing the same thing...

No, the Europeans are singled out because they did it MORE than anyone else in history. Most other cultures didn't go from continent to continent unleashing terror on a scale affecting millions of people. For them, it was mostly limited to just their own region, whereas Europeans extended misery and evil across the entire world.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »

The Europeans are singled out, oddly enough, due to their own ignorance of other peoples' histories of doing the same thing...

No, the Europeans are singled out because they did it MORE than anyone else in history. Most other cultures didn't go from continent to continent unleashing terror on a scale affecting millions of people. For them, it was mostly limited to just their own region, whereas Europeans extended misery and evil across the entire world.

Um, the Mongol Empire was the single largest contiguous empire in human history and was created by misery and domination across the entire world.  In its time, in held more than 1/4 of the world's population, something even the British Empire at its height failed to achieve and its landmass was slightly less than that the British maintained.  (source http://jwsr.ucr.edu/archive/vol12/number2/pdf/jwsr-v12n2-tah.pdf)

The Yuan and Qing dynasties are also in the top six, where the latter had a whopping 36% of the world's population under its thumb and it certainly wasn't a culturally homogeneous empire.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:19:21 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »

Barbarians are people's who aren't civilized, like the Franks, Goths, Celts and many others. Christianity is whT helped make the Celts more civilized. The savage Gothic barbarians destroyed Christianity in the west and the barbarians there led directly to the schism. Charlemagne, William the Bastard and others were nothing more than worthless barbarian scum.

They and their influence on western culture cannot be used as guides.

Being a 'barbarian' is in the eye of the beholder.

Actually, the etymology of the word 'barbarian' is sort of instructive, as it originally did not mean 'uncivilized' per se, but rather it connoted 'different.' Now of course to the Greeks 'different' meant 'inferior' to their culture but that is probably not unique to the ancient Greeks.

Wiki tells us: "The term originates from the ancient Greek word βάρβαρος barbaros. Hence the Greek idiom "πᾶς μὴ Ἕλλην βάρβαρος" (pas mē Hellēn barbaros) which literally means "whoever is not Greek is a Barbarian". In ancient times, Greeks used it for the people of the Persian Empire; in the early modern period and sometimes later, they used it for the Turks, in a clearly pejorative way. Comparable notions are found in non-European civilizations. In the Roman empire, Romans used the word barbarian for the Germans, Celts, Iberians, Thracians, and Persians....The Ancient Greek word βάρβαρος barbaros, "barbarian", was an antonym for πολίτης politis, "citizen", from polis "city-state". The sound of barbaros onomatopoetically evokes the image of babbling (a person speaking a non-Greek language). The earliest attested form of the word is the Mycenaean Greek pa-pa-ro, written in Linear B syllabic script.The Greeks used the term as they encountered scores of different foreign cultures, including the Egyptians, Persians, Medes, Celts, Germanic peoples, Phoenicians, Etruscans and Carthaginians. In fact, it became a common term to refer to all foreigners"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbarian
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:25:16 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »

Don't tell Robert Lentz about this.
Though he has also painted Sts Felicity and Perpetua with lesbian intent ...

That's horrible. I suggest we go to his monastery and make him eat all his paint brushes.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »

Barbarians are people's who aren't civilized, like the Franks, Goths, Celts and many others. Christianity is whT helped make the Celts more civilized. The savage Gothic barbarians destroyed Christianity in the west and the barbarians there led directly to the schism. Charlemagne, William the Bastard and others were nothing more than worthless barbarian scum.

Actually, the etymology of the word 'barbarian' is sort of instructive, as it originally did not mean 'uncivilized' per se, but rather it connoted 'different.' Now of course to the Greeks 'different' meant 'inferior' to their culture but that is probably not unique to the ancient Greeks.

Wiki tells us: "The term originates from the ancient Greek word βάρβαρος barbaros. Hence the Greek idiom "πᾶς μὴ Ἕλλην βάρβαρος" (pas mē Hellēn barbaros) which literally means "whoever is not Greek is a Barbarian". In ancient times, Greeks used it for the people of the Persian Empire; in the early modern period and sometimes later, they used it for the Turks, in a clearly pejorative way. Comparable notions are found in non-European civilizations. In the Roman empire, Romans used the word barbarian for the Germans, Celts, Iberians, Thracians, and Persians....The Ancient Greek word βάρβαρος barbaros, "barbarian", was an antonym for πολίτης politis, "citizen", from polis "city-state". The sound of barbaros onomatopoetically evokes the image of babbling (a person speaking a non-Greek language). The earliest attested form of the word is the Mycenaean Greek pa-pa-ro, written in Linear B syllabic script.The Greeks used the term as they encountered scores of different foreign cultures, including the Egyptians, Persians, Medes, Celts, Germanic peoples, Phoenicians, Etruscans and Carthaginians. In fact, it became a common term to refer to all foreigners"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbarian

To add to the above, barbarian originally meant foreigner (i.e. not Greek), and the word reflected the perceived harshness of foreign languages to Greek ears. It was only in much later centuries AD where barbarian took the meaning of uncouth, uncivilized, violent, cruel that we know today.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »

Don't tell Robert Lentz about this.
Though he has also painted Sts Felicity and Perpetua with lesbian intent ...

That's horrible. I suggest we go to his monastery and make him eat all his paint brushes.

Not sure if he's attached to any particular monastery ...  Tongue  Roll Eyes But getting him to eat his brushes? Naaah.  A start, but nowhere near enough. I've some ideas of my own, but most of them are unprintable.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:32:45 AM by LBK » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »

Um, the Mongol Empire was the single largest contiguous empire in human history and was created by misery and domination across the entire world.  In its time, in held more than 1/4 of the world's population, something even the British Empire at its height failed to achieve and its landmass was slightly less than that the British maintained.  (source http://jwsr.ucr.edu/archive/vol12/number2/pdf/jwsr-v12n2-tah.pdf)

The Yuan and Qing dynasties are also in the top six, where the latter had a whopping 36% of the world's population under its thumb and it certainly wasn't a culturally homogeneous empire.
With an even bigger part of the population pie, the Mauryan Empire had 44% of the world population under Asoka

who, besides his empire, sent Buddhist missionaries to spread the state religion

and whose multi-lingual inscriptions of his edicts throughout his empire show the heterogeneous nature of his subjects.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »

At the time of the Mycenaeans, the "barbarians" (at least the Egyptians) were the more civilized, as the Greeks frankly admitted at the time.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »

TBH I exclude barbarian cultures from being good examples for much. Yes I do realize I exclude my own ancestry. (Celtic and Native American)
O no you didn't.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »

You're welcome.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »

All of them are evil barbarians that need to be converted to WASP ethics right? You're no better than the Papists who bashed my ancestors heads against the trees after Baptising them so they wouldn't grow up worshipping the Aztec gods.

Criticising "WASP"s and using the word "Papist" in the same paragraph... Roll Eyes
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »

The Catholic church explicitly said enslaving natives was wrong. It was secular authorities who did it. All this made up history of Nav'i Native protecting the environment and evil whitey is pretty lame. Actually read some history and not AZTLAN pamphlets geez.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:13:36 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »

Jason- Nope, it isn't all wrong. Ask St. Peter the Aleut, and all the NW indians that grew up in "re-education centers."

I suppose you will say it wasn't enslavement to take children and "civilize" them. I have to disagree. Taking children away from their parents, forcing them to abandon culture, language, and family, is enslavement of the worst kind. Most native languages don't exist in the NW anymore. The last living speaker of the Quinault dialect died almost 20 years ago. The only reason the Lushootseed Salish language still remains is because of the work of one woman; Vi Hilbert.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:56:12 PM by Quinault » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »

You have to be careful when judging a culture based off of a single image being interpreted by our own perspective. That may seem barbaric to us and seem to suggest sacrifice, but what if it did not to them? What if it meant something else? As far as I am concerned, I see no good reason to assume that the Aztecs practiced human sacrifice--at least not on a grand scale. Most of the documents we use to support this claim were written by Europeans with a motive who may have purposely demonized them in order to gain permission to enslave them and exploit the land. Most of the native inhabitants of the region to this very day deny that human sacrifice ever happened, whereas others state that it wasn't on as large of a scale as Europe would make us believe.

One could easily misinterpret this image as being brutal, violent and an indicator or barbarism....

Are you also forgetting the fact that many other people throughout history have thought that WE were evil barbarians who drank blood and ate human flesh? Worshipping a Cross--the ultimate symbol of pain and punishment. I'm just saying, be careful with how you judge a culture.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:12:59 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »

You have to be careful when judging a culture based off of a single image being interpreted by our own perspective. That may seem barbaric to us and seem to suggest sacrifice, but what if it did not to them? What if it meant something else? As far as I am concerned, I see no good reason to assume that the Aztecs practiced human sacrifice--at least not on a grand scale. Most of the documents we use to support this claim were written by Europeans with a motive who may have purposely demonized them in order to gain permission to enslave them and exploit the land. Most of the native inhabitants of the region to this very day deny that human sacrifice ever happened, whereas others state that it wasn't on as large of a scale as Europe would make us believe.

One could easily misinterpret this image as being brutal, violent and an indicator or barbarism....

Are you also forgetting the fact that many other people throughout history have thought that WE were evil barbarians who drank blood and ate human flesh? Worshipping a Cross--the ultimate symbol of pain and punishment. I'm just saying, be careful with how you judge a culture.

The Aztecs did commit mass human sacrifice, and their entire civilization was built off of slavery. These are not merely claims by "Europeans with a motive" attempting to demonize them. Archaeology, along with, IIRC, the sizable amount of Aztec writings, verify this. The images depicted on the walls of their buildings show scenes of mass human sacrifice. They had no qualms about it.

I don't know of any reputable scholar today that thinks the Aztecs didn't commit mass human sacrifice, even if not to the degree as sometimes portrayed.

So your parallel is horribly inaccurate.

EDIT: There's a MesoAmerican history person on this forum, I can't remember who...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:29:45 PM by Nephi » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »

Remember when this thread was about icons of the Theotokos nursing the Christ Child?

Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2012, 06:27:46 PM »

liberaltards

Wow, you kiss your mother with that mouth?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »

Wow, you kiss your mother with that mouth?

He doesn't touch his mother with his lips. It's liberal (or babraric).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:29:20 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »

Breast feeding isn't a big deal, but most I know have a cover for themselves since its inappropriate to expose yourself. I have to say that the Theotokos' exposure in those icons is wrong. At least cover her up, you can convey the same message in a better fashion.

I agree with Devin.  There is nothing wrong with feeding you child, but show a little respect for others around you.  I have heard, "Its natural," but so it urinating and sexual activity; however, we aren’t allowed (and should not be) to do those in public.  Use a blanket, just thick enough to cover yourself.  Feeding is not only for nourishment, but also a special bonding between child and mother, not something I feel should be on public display.  In turn, I find these icons disturbing, to be put it in a pleasant way.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »

Breast feeding isn't a big deal, but most I know have a cover for themselves since its inappropriate to expose yourself. I have to say that the Theotokos' exposure in those icons is wrong. At least cover her up, you can convey the same message in a better fashion.
That's the point, they didn't cover themselves. Not those I saw at least.
Have to say, this is how it is still done in the Middle East. And if Muslims don't freak out at the sight of feeding breast, the Americans can get over it (btw, I still haven't. Comes from growing up in the US).

Or not, and people can practice some of the respect they demand from others.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »

It is only considered innapropriate in modern WASPy american culture.

This.

If folks are so squeamish about women breastfeeding, even if they do so discreetly, then perhaps they should sanitize this passage which is part of the standard Gospel reading during the Divine Liturgy on feasts of the Mother of God:

As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, “Blessed is the womb that bore You, and the breasts at which You nursed!”

There are also a good number of Theotokia which refer to her suckling Christ - should these be edited as well so as not to offend their delicate sensibilities?   Roll Eyes
Or you could simply respect those "delicate sensibilities" rather than ignore their concerns.

It's sort of like smoking in public.  If I am enjoying a nice cigar and someone asks me politely to enjoy it where the smoke doesn’t bother them, I respect that and move, unless it’s my porch.  In fact, you can’t smoke in most public places any longer.  (And this has nothing to do with health concerns, so please don’t try to mention that, thanks). 

If this analogy doesn’t work, I will simply say, when the time comes for some personal “adjustment” and I find myself in public, I try to take care of my business discreetly so as not to offend others.  This is about respecting other people.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:43:48 PM by Kerdy » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2012, 07:44:24 PM »

Or you could simply respect those "delicate sensibilities" rather than ignore their concerns.

Only 13-year-olds associate everything with sex. One should grow out of that.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »

Not everyone that finds it unsettling associates it with sex. One shouldn't make generalizations like that. Wink
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2012, 08:08:08 PM »

I believe it is safe to say if our actions cause another person to fall, that action is wrong.  So, if a lady breast feed in public, knowing it is a stumbling block for someone, it is wrong, period, regardless of her personal opinions on the matter.  Let’s imagine she is at the mall, her child needs feeding, and instead of moving to a discreet area and using a blanket, she decides, because she is a modern and strong woman, she will conduct her private business within the view of everyone at the mall.  Then, teenage boys are walking by, with their hormones fully engaged, and see this take place.  Do you REALLY expect them to think, “Good for her!  That baby needs to eat and no one should tell her not to feed her baby!”  ooor… do we expect them to think, “BOOB!”  If you vote for the first, you are naive at best.  If you realize the second, cover your breasts and stop causing others to sin. 

BTW – This doesn’t stop with young men.  Its men of all ages and in our “modern society” its women as well.  In relation to the, “You don’t have breasts” comment, that is true, but my wife has them, as did my mother, grandmother, sister, cousins, friends, co-workers, daughters, niece, etc., and I can tell you, I don’t know any of them who WANT people staring at their clothes breasts, much less exposed breasts, regardless of the situation.  So that silly comment holds no weight. 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »

Early Christians would have breastfed publicly without any cover.

Times change.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »

I don't care if it is "artful" or "natural". There are certain parts of our bodies which are reserved for our spouses eyes only (and our doctors).
So you are okay with breasts, just as long as they aren't used for their primary... ministry, shall we say?

Rather silly.

I thinks it's silly that you missed the whole point of what I said... Either your mother or your wife. Why do you automatically jumped to conclusions with your mind in the gutter.

Like I said, one shouldn't see another woman's breasts unless they are a doctor or the woman is their mother or wife (or daughter).

The whole stupid culture we live in had deadened too many people to such exposure and has led so many people to automatically think with their mind in the gutter. That's going to continue getting worse the more we let liberals have their way with our society.
The problem is, in the Middle East, not exactly a hotbed of liberalism, this "exposure" you are rallying against is the norm.  As a matter of fact, those who lived no where else were amused/perplexed by my prudishness about it.

We don't live in the Middle East.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »

I suppose this explains why pornography is the highest grossing business on the planet.  All those 13 year olds with credit cards.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »

I believe it is safe to say if our actions cause another person to fall, that action is wrong.

And such puritan, misogynistic, and immature opinions make me fall. You should stop posting them here.

Let’s imagine she is at the mall, her child needs feeding, and instead of moving to a discreet area and using a blanket, she decides, because she is a modern and strong woman, she will conduct her private business within the view of everyone at the mall.

Discreet area in a mall? Do you mean toilet? Do you tell women to feed babies in toilets?

Then, teenage boys are walking by, with their hormones fully engaged, and see this take place.  Do you REALLY expect them to think, “Good for her!  That baby needs to eat and no one should tell her not to feed her baby!”  ooor… do we expect them to think, “BOOB!”  If you vote for the first, you are naive at best.  If you realize the second, cover your breasts and stop causing others to sin. 

Have you ever seen a women breastfeeding? Do you really consider it erogenous? If yes, you really need to see a doctor.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »

Quote from: Kerdy

I suppose this explains why pornography is the highest grossing business on the planet.  All those 13 year olds with credit cards.

What does pornography have to do with breastfeeding?  Huh

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »

I suppose this explains why pornography is the highest grossing business on the planet.  All those 13 year olds with credit cards.

What does pornography have to do with breastfeeding?  Huh

I didn't bring it up, but I did respond to this:

I made the post to show people of ALL ages, 13-93, think of things in a sexual way even when they shouldn't.  His view is incorrect.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:31:36 PM by Kerdy » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2012, 08:30:15 PM »

I suppose this explains why pornography is the highest grossing business on the planet.  All those 13 year olds with credit cards.

What does pornography have to do with breastfeeding?  Huh

It shouldn't. But some contributors to this thread seem to think it does.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »

I believe it is safe to say if our actions cause another person to fall, that action is wrong.

And such puritan, misogynistic, and immature opinions make me fall. You should stop posting them here.

Let’s imagine she is at the mall, her child needs feeding, and instead of moving to a discreet area and using a blanket, she decides, because she is a modern and strong woman, she will conduct her private business within the view of everyone at the mall.

Discreet area in a mall? Do you mean toilet? Do you tell women to feed babies in toilets?

Then, teenage boys are walking by, with their hormones fully engaged, and see this take place.  Do you REALLY expect them to think, “Good for her!  That baby needs to eat and no one should tell her not to feed her baby!”  ooor… do we expect them to think, “BOOB!”  If you vote for the first, you are naive at best.  If you realize the second, cover your breasts and stop causing others to sin. 

Have you ever seen a women breastfeeding? Do you really consider it erogenous? If yes, you really need to see a doctor.

You really should start thinking a little further past your limited expose to the world.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »

Kerdy's avatar turns me on- I mean it's kinda androgynous etc
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »

Just think of it. Entire hospital wards where breastfeeding goes on day and night!  Shocked

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »

I see.  You think Holy Scripture is "puritan, misogynistic, and immature".  Good to know.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »

Just think of it. Entire hospital wards where breastfeeding goes on day and night!  Shocked

And?  I am sure there is some point you are attempting to make hidden in your post.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »

And?  I am sure there is some point you are attempting to make hidden in your post.

Maternity wards. Oh no! How will we live?

Once word gets out, people will be flinging off their shirts and trying to feed anything that passes by!

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »

If you are unable to contribute in a mature way, please do not contribute.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »

From 50 years ago, when beach inspectors patrolled the shores, paying quite some attention to female swimwear:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:41:00 PM by LBK » Logged
Tags: breastfeeding 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: