OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 09:50:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truth Or Irish Folk Lore? - Happy Saint Bridget's Day!  (Read 1602 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: February 01, 2005, 10:40:16 AM »

From a post by Fr Ambrose in 'Catholic Answers" -

Saint Brigid Bishopess
Happy and Blessed Saint Brigid's Day - 1 February

Due to my great age stretching back into dim forgotten ages, I was blessed to be educated in Catholic parochial schools at a time when they were staffed by good Irish sisters. These sisters were walking compendiums (compendia, if you like) of Irish oral tradition. They functioned for us kids as apocryphal Gospels, and they knew everything, whether within or without the Deposit of Faith. These holy nuns taught us that St. Brigid was a bishop of the Church.

In catechism classes we learnt how Bishop Saint Mael came to Kildare to install Brigid as abbess. Before the ceremony he was treated to the hospitality for which she is so justly renowned and loved. Her liberal provision of strong drink confused the bishop so that he mistakenly consecrated her as bishop instead of abbess. And thereupon a great debate arose though all Ireland. The decision was agreed that the power of an episcopal consecration was irresistible, irremediable, irretractable, even when administered in error and under the influence. Brigid had become a bishop, but she was placed under a forbidding against the using
of her powers. Possibly at that period the Church had not expounded theories of matter and form, of licit and valid and legal, and the opinion of the day could be expressed thus: her consecration was illicit but valid. All they knew in Ireland was that Brigid had been mistakenly turned into a bishop -mistakenly, yes, - but a bishop she had been made.

The story affirms that Brigid was obedient in not exercising her
episcopal faculties, although she slipped up once or twice in ordaining a priest or two, when the bishop was tardy. Saint Mael was remorseful of his error, and undertook a pilgrimage of
expiation, to Jerusalem, and there at the grave of Mary he was
reproached by her for administering to Brigid an honour which even the Queen of Heaven had neither sought nor received. She forgave him however and laid upon him the penance of never touching strong drink until the day when he would drink the new wine in the Kingdom of her Son. This makes Saint Mael Ireland's first (and possibly only) teetotaller. 

The good nuns at school delighted in this naughty tradition, this
breakdown of normal church order, although it was never recounted in the presence of any priest. Nonetheless, it is part of the oral tradition of the Irish Catholic Church, transmitted to me as a boy and with a fond place in my heart even now.

The chapel in the convent of Anglican sisters in Christchurch, NZ,
contains a fine stained glass window of St.Brigid, a window they say is over 80 years old, and which shows the Saint clothed in the vestments of a bishop.

=================

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 11:52:54 AM »

True or not, it's a very cool story.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 01:16:23 PM »

From the responses I've been getting back from my Irish Roman Catholic friends it's true!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 02:05:58 PM »

so what you are saying now is that I can quote when I go to Met. Lavr with my request to become a bishop.  :-D

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 02:27:26 PM »

There are so many stories surrounding St. Brigid that the only thing I believe about her is that she existed, she was a friend of St. Patrick, and she helped convert thousands to Christianity.

Anything other than that I look upon as a nice pious story.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 02:59:47 PM »

Personally,

I miss the Sunday hell and brimstone homilies from the older Irish priests, they preached about sin in marriage, children's behavior, friendship etc, they actually talked about sin & the narrow path, not this huggy smoochie new age bs.

No problem in lifting a pint to those who really did there appointed shepherding!

JB

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 05:56:18 PM »

There are so many stories surrounding St. Brigid that the only thing I believe about her is that she existed, she was a friend of St. Patrick, and she helped convert thousands to Christianity.

Anything other than that I look upon as a nice pious story.

Ditto Schultz.  Not only are there SO many stories about her, but, emotionally speaking, she's one of the most fanatically loved, venerated and called-upon saints in Ireland...a real cult of Brigid, there.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 09:44:51 PM »

I know it's been a while, but thought I should share the Brigid in my life with y'all....

Ain't she cute?   Grin

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags: saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: