OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 02:12:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Time is destined to go the way of Newsweek  (Read 1767 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2013, 01:37:38 AM »

for one, the likes of JesusisIam.
What on earth are you talking about? YiM doesn't even live in the world, let a lone has student loan debt.

You sure you are reading what I'm writing because your responses are so off the mark.

When you quoted me saying extreme frugality was how you successfully take care of children in the working-middle-class, I specifically had YIM in mind.  Most people cannot live like that.  Personally, I find the guy inspiring, but most people I am inspired by I doubt I will ever imitate, nor hold anyone else up to their standard.
He's hardly inspiring except for the reactionary Westerners who want something that resembles their pretensions to living a "monastic" life while having a family.

YiM's life is a complete and total fantasy.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2013, 01:37:38 AM »

I also am unmarried and have no children, and probably will not in the near future, if at all depending on the state of the economy.  The possibility of debt plays a major role in this decision.
Now what would Isa say here?

Selfish?

And it's only going to get worse from here. Sad part is I'm in a very well paying job that is completely expendable at any moment in time.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »

What on earth are you talking about? YiM doesn't even live in the world, let a lone has student loan debt.

You sure you are reading what I'm writing because your responses are so off the mark.

When you quoted me saying extreme frugality was how you successfully take care of children in the working-middle-class, I specifically had YIM in mind.  Most people cannot live like that.  Personally, I find the guy inspiring, but most people I am inspired by I doubt I will ever imitate, nor hold anyone else up to their standard.
He's hardly inspiring except for the reactionary Westerners who want something that resembles their pretensions to living a "monastic" life while having a family.

Not sure what you mean by that.  Is he not telling us the truth about his life and lifestyle?  How do you know this?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »

Having debt is not necessarily a bad thing.  It is what you do with that debt that can be good or bad.  If you take a loan out to invest to buy a house or invest in your business, it can be a very good thing albeit with some risk.  If you take a loan out to go on vacation, that is bad debt.  Loans are a tool and can be used or misused.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »

Did I miss something? What's YiM's lifestyle?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »

I also am unmarried and have no children, and probably will not in the near future, if at all depending on the state of the economy.  The possibility of debt plays a major role in this decision.

Selfish?
Is he going into debt to lie on the beach?
And it's only going to get worse from here. Sad part is I'm in a very well paying job that is completely expendable at any moment in time.
Thank the B schools.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »

I've actually known a number of people like JesusisIam, though not as extreme (he mentions something having a chicken coup. I don't know-does he live on a farm).  A lot of them had careers in high tech, and decided to put that to use in the service of their families rather than conforming their family to that lifestyle (e.g. working from home or with their own business, etc.).

I don't watch the Dugers (spelling?-the ones with the 19 kids), but my mother does.  The clips I've seen (she records it, which I find odd, since she supports not only contraception but abortion as well, and doesn't care for having children-though we never knew that growing up (nor do our own children know now)-and she had four). I wouldn't say 21 was my ideal family size, but they're the ones raising them (I only question it now because the 19th seems to have problems related from the pregnancy, perhaps signaling that the production line should be calling it quits).  They don't live in poverty (even before the show), even with such extreme numbers.  They don't, however, try to keep up with the Joneses (even in number of children, from what I've seen.  But again, I don't watch the show).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »

Selfish?

He said about what I expected. 

Nope, I have been to a beach a couple times in my life, but in nearly 29 years I don't think twice is all that extravagant. 

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »

Selfish?

Nope, I have been to a beach a couple times in my life, but in nearly 29 years I don't think twice is all that extravagant. 

But how much debt did you accrue to do it?? Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »

There's a little magazine in Greece, a publication of a support organisation for large families, that I used to pick up when I saw it in church. 8 kids was the smallest family I remember seeing featured there; there was always someone with over 12 in each issue, usually a priest (go figure). Last weekend, I was going through an archive of sermons from the diocese of Florina, where having two kids was repeatedly considered 'demonic influence'. As much as I respect the bishop, I believe he's greatly exaggerating. Greece doesn't have anything like the support for every family and child that the UK has; if two is all one can manage, then that will have to do. Guilt-tripping just doesn't work.

I have one, who will remain the one, and if anyone tries to give me lip about it, I reply that, if God wanted me to have more kids, he would have sent me the right man at 20, not at 35.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »

Selfish?

None.  The first time I was in 3rd Grade or thereabouts and the second I had sufficient money saved up over a couple months to do it.   Wink

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »

Selfish?

None.  The first time I was in 3rd Grade or thereabouts and the second I had sufficient money saved up over a couple months to do it.   Wink

Grin

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »

There's a little magazine in Greece, a publication of a support organisation for large families, that I used to pick up when I saw it in church. 8 kids was the smallest family I remember seeing featured there; there was always someone with over 12 in each issue, usually a priest (go figure). Last weekend, I was going through an archive of sermons from the diocese of Florina, where having two kids was repeatedly considered 'demonic influence'. As much as I respect the bishop, I believe he's greatly exaggerating. Greece doesn't have anything like the support for every family and child that the UK has; if two is all one can manage, then that will have to do. Guilt-tripping just doesn't work.

I have one, who will remain the one, and if anyone tries to give me lip about it, I reply that, if God wanted me to have more kids, he would have sent me the right man at 20, not at 35.

Two is good enough for replacement.  If people would die earlier or work longer replacement would be more than sufficient.  Then again, we probably have enough mechanization to get enough output to support the old with basic replacement.  The problem is when you have declining populations.  Then it might be time to incentiveize having children.  Back in "the good old days of your" people had more kids because they were useful farm labour and also due to high childhood mortality.  A woman might have 8 kids and see two of them to adulthood - or a man might have 14 kids and see 2 or 3 into adulthood and 1 of 3 wives into old age.

As for your last line, if we wanted to have more childrearing families we would let out parents pick a good enough man/woman at 18.   Cheesy

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 04:48:56 PM »

As for your last line, if we wanted to have more childrearing families we would let out parents pick a good enough man/woman at 18.   Cheesy

As soon as I was done with university, my aunts (on one strain of the family only Huh) started mentioning matching me up with one of their other nephews on every visit. Creeped the bejaysus out of me. They didn't even stop when I found a boyfriend of my own, at 28. My family was not exactly the kind I'd trust on matching recommendations...

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »

As soon as I was done with university, my aunts (on one strain of the family only Huh) started mentioning matching me up with one of their other nephews on every visit. Creeped the bejaysus out of me. They didn't even stop when I found a boyfriend of my own, at 28. My family was not exactly the kind I'd trust on matching recommendations...

Modified:  If we wanted to have more childrearing families we would let our non-interbreeding parents pick a good enough man/woman at 18.  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:56:15 PM by vamrat » Logged

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: