OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 08:57:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope meets with Oriental Orthodox leaders, prays for real unity  (Read 1089 times) Average Rating: 0
Thomas Daniel (Reji)
Chevalier
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Archdiocese of Syriac Orthodox Church

Proud to say belongs to Syriac Orthodox Church

« on: February 01, 2005, 03:55:07 AM »

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Pope John Paul II, meeting representatives of the Oriental Orthodox churches, prayed that "the real bonds of communion between us may be further strengthened." Members of the official dialogue between the Vatican and the Oriental Orthodox churches were meeting in Rome Jan. 27-30 to discuss "The
Church as Communion." Meeting the dialogue members Jan. 28, the pope said the ties between the churches must be strengthened "through a spirituality of communion, which contemplates the mystery of the Trinity dwelling in us and sees what is positive in others, to welcome it and prize it as a gift from God." The January session marked the second meeting of the dialogue commission, sponsored by the Vatican and by the Coptic Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic, Ethiopian Orthodox, Eritrean Orthodox and Malankara Orthodox Syrian churches.
Source: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOCM-FORUM/message/5797

Oh.. Morth Mariam Yoldath Aloho (Mother Of God)Pray For Us
twf

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 03:18:44 PM »

I am very pleased that this dialogue continues. I feel that the Catholic Church and the Oriental Orthodox Churches, for various reasons, will be reconciled before the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Churches. Sure, we (Catholics) have about 10 times as many ecumenical councils as Oriental Orthodoxy recognizes...but relations between us, from what I have heard/read, seem less tense than they often are between the Catholic Communion and the Byzantine Orthodox Churches.
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 12:46:19 AM »

I am very pleased that this dialogue continues. I feel that the Catholic Church and the Oriental Orthodox Churches, for various reasons, will be reconciled before the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Churches. Sure, we (Catholics) have about 10 times as many ecumenical councils as Oriental Orthodoxy recognizes...but relations between us, from what I have heard/read, seem less tense than they often are between the Catholic Communion and the Byzantine Orthodox Churches.
Unity is a great goal, but it has to be approached in truth. With all respect, I do not share your view. This unity will not take place soon for many reasons:
- Theological differences that cannot be reconciled, among them the Filioque, Immaculate Conception, Purgatory,...
- Papal Infallability (rejected by OO)
- Roman Supremacy (rejected by OO)
- Doctrinal development

Rome will never back down on their Papal claims conerning Supremacy and Infallability, and it will never be conceded (I hope never) on the part of OO. In addition, Rome takes a different approach to faith than OO. We believe that the faith is delivered once and for all to the apostles (Jude 3), yet it seems that Rome tends to develop new doctrines, and this is very hard to reconcile or to be even taught. It is a way of life. For the sake of argument, let us assume Rome denounces the Filioque tomorrow, that will still not create an orthodox heart in the RC church. 

Also, the RC church have taken a more liberal trend since the 60's, and actions such allowing Protestants or non believers to partake in the Holy Communion and in sacraments (such as the sacrament of matrimony) do not advance the unity talks. OO will not allow non believers into communion, nor will they be happy if their children in the West (specially in the West) marry non-Orthodox in a Catholic church, if the churches are united.

EO and OO unity might be easier, as difficult as it is.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
SaintShenouti

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 10:44:33 AM »

May the Lord keep the life and standing of our honored fathers, the patriarchs of Alexandria, Antioch, Armenia, India, Ethiopia, and Eriteria.

May the Lord heal and bless the honored father, the Roman patriarch Pope Jean-Paul II.

May the Lord preserve their lives.
Tags: ecumenism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: