Author Topic: Question about other Orthodox Christians  (Read 1843 times)

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Ancient Chinese Monk
Question about other Orthodox Christians
« on: August 04, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »
Why do other posters on this board always reference to theology, dogma, or councils and church traditions instead of the Bible? ... Is it because the Orthodox Study bible is oriented to the Calendar approach for the Liturgical year? wondering, thanks.

The Lectionary Approach to the Bible in the Format of A Calendar Year
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:58:15 PM by WPM »
The current President of America is Donald J. Trump.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
Re: Question about other Orthodox Christians
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »
There is no opposition between Scripture and theology, dogma, liturgics, and tradition. Scripture is part of the written tradition.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
Why do other posters on this board always reference to theology, dogma, or councils and church traditions instead of the Bible? ... Is it because the Orthodox Study bible is oriented to the Calendar approach for the Liturgical year? wondering, thanks.

This is a VERY good question.  Is the first part of your question referring to the Orthodox STUDY bible only, or the scriptures/bible in general?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:25:05 PM »
Why do other posters on this board always reference to theology, dogma, or councils and church traditions instead of the Bible?

We all like what we like, most likely.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 03:18:16 AM »
My answer is that people are not really rooted in The Gospel, but entered "through The Church". To me, this means that people are not so oriented towards a life in Christ, but in practicing a religion (the way they understand it) with heavy emphasis on external rules (dogmas, what The Fathers said about anything and everything). As Fr. Thomas Hopko would put it: people debate about the roof without having a foundation. It's an illness and alienation from life in The Spirit and we all inherit it more or less.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:18:51 AM by IoanC »

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 05:34:46 AM »

Why are you asking? Does it bother you?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:34:55 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline john_mo

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:20:22 AM »

This is a VERY good question.  Is the first part of your question referring to the Orthodox STUDY bible only, or the scriptures/bible in general?

No, it's not.  IMO you just like the question because it fits in nicely with your other non-Orthodox views.  I frequently see people here quoting from the Bible.  I would say it's about 50/50, and like others have said, the Bible is not separate from other sources of Tradition.

Also, the majority of Orthodox do not use any sort of Orthodox Study Bible.

If the OP's general observation is that the Orthodox don't understand the Gospel as much as they understand the Fathers, this is still a false dichotomy.  Have you considered that the theology, dogma, or councils and church traditions that we refer to might be about the Gospels?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:41:52 AM by john_mo »
Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »

Why are you asking? Does it bother you?

I am wanting to know why Orthodox Christians do not make references to the Bible...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:20:12 PM by WPM »

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
I am wanting to know why Orthodox Christians do not make references to the Bible...

They do, all the time.

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 01:42:07 PM »

This is a VERY good question.  Is the first part of your question referring to the Orthodox STUDY bible only, or the scriptures/bible in general?

No, it's not.  IMO you just like the question because it fits in nicely with your other non-Orthodox views.  I frequently see people here quoting from the Bible.  I would say it's about 50/50, and like others have said, the Bible is not separate from other sources of Tradition.

Also, the majority of Orthodox do not use any sort of Orthodox Study Bible.

If the OP's general observation is that the Orthodox don't understand the Gospel as much as they understand the Fathers, this is still a false dichotomy.  Have you considered that the theology, dogma, or councils and church traditions that we refer to might be about the Gospels?

It is a learning experience.

On this board OC.net it sounds more like a pontification of councils and church traditions.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:43:20 PM by WPM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »
Try this thread. You're welcome :)