OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 02:15:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious Question  (Read 5116 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« on: August 03, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »

Ok guys (and gals), here is a question for everyone which has been really bothering me lately.  I would insert a poll, but with all of the different jurisdictions I thought it would be useless.  When you answer, please do not pontificate .  If you must explain, please keep it as pithy as possible.  I am more interested in a yes and no answer.  If you start to argue and debate, I ask the moderators to lock this thread, even if the debate is within the same jurisdiction.  Additionally, prior to your answer, please list your jurisdiction. 

For example:
“Greek Orthodox – No”
“Antiochian Orthodox – Yes”
“Melikite Catholic - Yes”
“Roman Catholic – No”

Here is the question.  According to your jurisdictions doctrine, dogma, Tradition, etc., if a person is not in communion with your Church or the Church yours is in communion with, is that person by default destined to hell (or whatever you believe is the end result of not being in heaven). 

I realize there is a lot of stuff which could be discussed; however, with it already being spoken of in multiple threads, this is not the place.  I would just like your clear, short, and concise answers.  Thank you!

(Moderator:  If this is the wrong place for this thread, please move it in the correct place.  I was not sure where it should be posted.)
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »

Coptic Orthodox - No.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »

Orthodox - No

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »

Antiochian Orthodox - No
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »

Ok guys (and gals), here is a question for everyone which has been really bothering me lately.  I would insert a poll, but with all of the different jurisdictions I thought it would be useless.  When you answer, please do not pontificate .  If you must explain, please keep it as pithy as possible.  I am more interested in a yes and no answer.  If you start to argue and debate, I ask the moderators to lock this thread, even if the debate is within the same jurisdiction.  Additionally, prior to your answer, please list your jurisdiction. 

For example:
“Greek Orthodox – No”
“Roman Catholic – No”

Here is the question.  According to your jurisdictions doctrine, dogma, Tradition, etc., if a person is not in communion with your Church or the Church yours is in communion with, is that person by default destined to hell (or whatever you believe is the end result of not being in heaven). 

I realize there is a lot of stuff which could be discussed; however, with it already being spoken of in multiple threads, this is not the place.  I would just like your clear, short, and concise answers.  Thank you!

(Moderator:  If this is the wrong place for this thread, please move it in the correct place.  I was not sure where it should be posted.)

Are we Catholics allowed to answer, or will that break forum rules? I want to be sure that I am in compliance.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 09:59:05 PM »

Greek Orthodox -- No.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »

For example:
“Greek Orthodox – No”
“Roman Catholic – No”

Are we Catholics allowed to answer, or will that break forum rules? I want to be sure that I am in compliance.

You're in the example, I'd say you're clear. Smiley
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »

Roman Catholic - No

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »

No.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »

No.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »

No.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 10:54:05 PM »

For example:
“Greek Orthodox – No”
“Roman Catholic – No”

As far as I am concerned you are allowed.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »

Orthodox-No

I look forward to see where you are going with this Kerdy.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 12:56:35 AM »

No.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 06:09:32 AM »

Antioch: no

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Luka

Jurisdiction: Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 07:11:09 AM »

Orthodox - No (although it depends on how broadly we understand "communion")
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »

OCA - No
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 08:28:03 AM »

No.

This is kind of a weird question actually. You need to have a definition of hell first. To quote our priest:

"The light of God's love shines equally on all people. It is our ability to accept that love that determines if that love brings either pleasure or pain."
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:31:49 AM by Quinault » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »

If you start to argue and debate, I ask the moderators to lock this thread, even if the debate is within the same jurisdiction.

You are not the one who dictates how people should respond here. Posters are allowed  to post however they want, unless it breaks the forum rules and your will is not a forum rule. If you do not like people responding to your questions, do not ask them.

No. But it's not your  fault Kerdy started this thread in the wrong section.

Moving it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:55:12 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »

Yes, but I need to explain.

You can have a church, but if it's not in communion with the Church, then there is no salvation. I reject branch theory, ecumenism and I am a strict adherent of no salvation outside the Church.

I think this it is pretty clear from the teachings and doctrines of the Orthodox Church. Only through Christ do we come to the Father, and the Church being His Body, and we are united to Him by the Church, so anything outside of that is not in union with Him.

But I feel that is begging the question, who makes up the Church? How is one received into the Church? Who is visibly and invisibly part of the Church? Don't know until Judgement Day.

What interests me more is the unresolved paradox the Scriptures say about salvation. On the one hand Christ says there is no salvation if you are not baptized, communed, etc. yet on the other hand salvation is possible without these sacraments.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »

Forgot to add the jurisdiction, but I will say Orthodox but I am not appealing to any specific jurisdictional doctrine/dogma.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 06:15:40 PM »

If you start to argue and debate, I ask the moderators to lock this thread, even if the debate is within the same jurisdiction.

You are not the one who dictates how people should respond here. Posters are allowed  to post however they want, unless it breaks the forum rules and your will is not a forum rule. If you do not like people responding to your questions, do not ask them.

No. But it's not your  fault Kerdy started this thread in the wrong section.

Moving it.
That's why I placed "ask" and "please" in there.  Perhaps you missed it.  I have a specific personal reason for asking which I didn't want to get lost in the regular chaos.  It also seems you missed the last portion of my original post in relation to where to start the thread, but I do thank you for moving it to the correct place.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:20:36 PM by Kerdy » Logged
WPM
Archon

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »

All Orthodox Churches in North America
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »

All Orthodox Churches in North America
Huh
WPM
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »

It sounds like you were talking about jurisdictions so I checked them all
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »

Melikite Catholic - No

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »

14 no’s, 1 yes.  

No one else wants to participate with over 300 views?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:12:07 AM by Kerdy » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »

I'll answer, but I'm not sure what the point is.  You aren't asking for our opinion, you are asking for the opinion of our Church so if someone has already accurately answered on behalf of the Church, I'm not sure why it needs to be reiterated a million times. That being said:

Antiochian Orthodox - No

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »

Orthodox (Ukrainian Orthodox) - No.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 11:50:53 AM »

A far more interesting aspect of this little poll is the fact that those who have their jurisdiction listed by their name also posted it in the body of their post and the people who did not, tended not to post their jurisdiction.  What can this mean?  I suspect that there is a secret cabal of Orthodox elites here at oc.net that have ascended beyond jurisdictional boundaries and now commune directly with the Almighty.  It is the only logical conclusion.  laugh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »

So, what's at the root of the question?  I know you have something on your mind.  What is it?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »

A far more interesting aspect of this little poll is the fact that those who have their jurisdiction listed by their name also posted it in the body of their post and the people who did not, tended not to post their jurisdiction.  What can this mean?  I suspect that there is a secret cabal of Orthodox elites here at oc.net that have ascended beyond jurisdictional boundaries and now commune directly with the Almighty.  It is the only logical conclusion.  laugh
You just can't help yourself, can you?
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »

Westboro Baptist - Yes
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 08:03:27 PM »

No - 16

Yes - 1

Thank you to those who are seriously participating.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »

I have a specific personal reason for asking which I didn't want to get lost in the regular chaos. 

Are you ever going to let us in on the secret?  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »

I have a specific personal reason for asking which I didn't want to get lost in the regular chaos. 

It's no secret, but yes I will explain.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 09:16:06 PM »

You didn't answer Kerdy.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »

Williamodoxy - N/A

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »

You didn't answer Kerdy.
I sure didnt.  Not yet.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »

OCA-Yes

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »

You didn't answer Kerdy.
I sure didnt.  Not yet.

When?  I'm not good at waiting. Smiley

—St. Isaac of Syria
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »

I get the feeling everyone's expectations of my purpose are too high.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26:36 PM »

Greek Orthodox--no

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »

14 no’s, 1 yes.  

No one else wants to participate with over 300 views?

Generally, this is a good ratio Kerdy. Currently at 43 posts vs 470 views. In addition consider that this is a noncontroversial issue,

What you should take away from this is that there are people like myself.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »

OCA-Yes

OCA - No

Both can't be right.  Which is it?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: