OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:52:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why God is definitely not real  (Read 5122 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »

if god is all knowing why did he create lucifer knowing in  advance that he would revolt and tempt eve into eating the forbidden fruit and set the stage  for jesus's execution why was all of that necessary why didn't god just forgive mankind if he knew all of this was going to happen?

If you're going to accept "many worlds quantum mechanics", then this is a useless question.  There is a universe that exists in which God did not create Lucifer knowing in advance that he would revolt and tempt Eve into eating the forbidden fruit, etc.  Try asking your question on OCNet in that universe and see what they tell you.    

also MANY WORLDS QUANTAM MECHANICS SUGGESTS THAT WITH EVERY DECISION THAT A PERSON MAKES ON THEIR ON VOLITION WITH FREE WILL TWO PARALELL UNIVERSES OPEN UP ONE WHERE THE PERSON HAS MADE THAT DECISION AND ONE WHERE THEY HAVE NOT THEREFORE WE CAN SEE THAT GOD IS NOT THE ONLY ONE IWTH THE ABILITY TO CREATE UNIVERSES. AND THE BIBLE SUGGESTS THERE IS ONLY ONE UNIVERSE THAT IS FLAWED

Again, with "many worlds quantum mechanics", there's not just one Bible.  Every time someone wrote down one of the books, a universe came into being with that book and a universe without that book.  Repeat the process about 72 times, etc.  I refer you to those universes.  

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
nintendo6941
Moderated

Faith: orthodox

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »

if god is all knowing why did he create lucifer knowing in  advance that he would revolt and tempt eve into eating the forbidden fruit and set the stage  for jesus's execution why was all of that necessary why didn't god just forgive mankind if he knew all of this was going to happen?

If you're going to accept "many worlds quantum mechanics", then this is a useless question.  There is a universe that exists in which God did not create Lucifer knowing in advance that he would revolt and tempt Eve into eating the forbidden fruit, etc.  Try asking your question on OCNet in that universe and see what they tell you.    

also MANY WORLDS QUANTAM MECHANICS SUGGESTS THAT WITH EVERY DECISION THAT A PERSON MAKES ON THEIR ON VOLITION WITH FREE WILL TWO PARALELL UNIVERSES OPEN UP ONE WHERE THE PERSON HAS MADE THAT DECISION AND ONE WHERE THEY HAVE NOT THEREFORE WE CAN SEE THAT GOD IS NOT THE ONLY ONE IWTH THE ABILITY TO CREATE UNIVERSES. AND THE BIBLE SUGGESTS THERE IS ONLY ONE UNIVERSE THAT IS FLAWED

Again, with "many worlds quantum mechanics", there's not just one Bible.  Every time someone wrote down one of the books, a universe came into being with that book and a universe without that book.  Repeat the process about 72 times, etc.  I refer you to those universes.  

nintendo6941
Moderated

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2013, 09:44:26 PM »

that means the bible did not happen nd god is not real
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2013, 09:46:46 PM »

Hang on a minute, we had another thread just recently on exactly the same topic: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52824.0.html

Is nintendo6941 the same person as phil2190?
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »

<IXJesusoX><
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:47:30 PM by WPM » Logged
nintendo6941
Moderated

« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »

no
nintendo6941
Moderated

« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2013, 09:48:45 PM »

look the quantum mechanics makes so god is not real
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »

if god is all knowing why did he create lucifer knowing in  advance that he would revolt and tempt eve into eating the forbidden fruit and set the stage  for jesus's execution why was all of that necessary why didn't god just forgive mankind if he knew all of this was going to happen?  also MANY WORLDS QUANTAM MECHANICS SUGGESTS THAT WITH EVERY DECISION THAT A PERSON MAKES ON THEIR ON VOLITION WITH FREE WILL TWO PARALELL UNIVERSES OPEN UP ONE WHERE THE PERSON HAS MADE THAT DECISION AND ONE WHERE THEY HAVE NOT THEREFORE WE CAN SEE THAT GOD IS NOT THE ONLY ONE IWTH THE ABILITY TO CREATE UNIVERSES. AND THE BIBLE SUGGESTS THERE IS ONLY ONE UNIVERSE THAT IS FLAWED

This can be remedied and resolved for ... If you get a comprehensive review of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:50:55 PM by WPM » Logged
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »

How did you reach that conclusion? Did Julius Caesar or the Roman empire happen? Did Ancient Greece happen? Those things are less likely from a Historical-Critical point of view than the Bible is.

That's from Bart Ehrman, the most critical Biblical scholar there is. (Reza Aslan isn't a scholar.)

Bart Ehrman interviews an Atheist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdqJyk-dtLs

Suggestion: Can this thread be moved to the OTHER "why god is definitely not real" thread of the same name?

Hang on a minute, we had another thread just recently on exactly the same topic: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52824.0.html

Yes we did... Yes we did.

Archbishop Lazar is a Physicist, and I am sure he'd disagree with you.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:57:25 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
nintendo6941
Moderated

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »

i didnt say you didnt have a similar discussion i just said i wasnt that person
 Banned as a duplicate account.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »

When I was a teenager we had this way of saying "You lie!" that was joking, because the lie was so transparent that it was barely worth even pointing out, but we would just to poke fun at the person. It's hard to get across the proper inflection on "lie" in text. Still... you lie!  Kiss
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:03 PM »

LOL.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »

I think they're from different universes, perhaps in a separate multiverse, in another dimension, which only exists on Tuesdays for some odd reason.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »

I thought there was some kind of prize for starting the most ridiculous thread.

If there was, phil2190 would have to share it with Gebre and his Obama/Harry Potter thread.  Tongue Tongue

Wait, so Obama is Harry Potter? In this universe or another? (Does that mean that there's a universe where it's 19th century Russia all the time, because that would be awesome!)

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »

I think they're from different universes, perhaps in a separate multiverse, in another dimension, which only exists on Tuesdays for some odd reason.

Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks!  Kiss Kiss Though might I offer a correction? Thursdays, my dear Shanghaiski, not Tuesdays. It must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:06:18 PM by LBK » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »

Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks!  Kiss Kiss Though might I offer a correction? Thursdays, my dear Shanghaiski, not Tuesdays. It must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.  Wink

LOL. Well that and Tuesdays are unlucky. The City fell on a Tuesday.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2013, 10:28:20 PM »

I thought there was some kind of prize for starting the most ridiculous thread.

If there was, phil2190 would have to share it with Gebre and his Obama/Harry Potter thread.  Tongue Tongue

Wait, so Obama is Harry Potter? In this universe or another? (Does that mean that there's a universe where it's 19th century Russia all the time, because that would be awesome!)

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52934.0.html

Smiley
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »

When I was a kid and my Nintendo had this issue (screen blinking meaninglessly when switched on), I would open the top, take the game cartridge out, blow into it once or twice, replace the cartridge, and try again. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2013, 10:46:01 PM »

these people are likely to have cited the bible or josephus which is a forgery

Which is a forgery - the works of Josephus, or the Bible? And where is your proof of this?

He can't prove he himself is not some random emanation from another universe.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »

When I was a kid and my Nintendo had this issue (screen blinking meaninglessly when switched on), I would open the top, take the game cartridge out, blow into it once or twice, replace the cartridge, and try again. 

On a recent episode (circa late June) of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Fallon played an old Nintendo cartridge like a harmonica.
Dpaula
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian w/ Romanian background
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2013, 11:24:17 PM »

Why do we have two active threads with the same title? Does the OP has two accounts? It seems to me he does

Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2013, 11:29:32 PM »

Why do we have two active threads with the same title? Does the OP has two accounts? It seems to me he does

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,53133.msg973072.html#msg973072

Wink
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2013, 12:48:40 AM »

The creator does not need to express his thought directly in his work to reflect the quality of itself.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2013, 02:22:00 AM »

What?

And Quantum mechanics, is a mathematized abstraction. Do we really know that it describes the way things really are, or is it a useful mathematical model for making predictions? What if there is another paradigm shift in physics? Does your argument fall apart?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:22:17 AM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2013, 02:23:18 AM »

I remember an atheist creating threads like this and multiple accounts a few years ago... I wonder if it is the same person.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2013, 02:25:14 AM »

"Every time a synapse fires, a universe is created" - Alberto Einsteino
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »

Actually each one of us are in our own universe.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »

And every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings.  Cool

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »

Not really.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
davillas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »

The God delusion in The Sims.  Smiley

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »

The Intentionality of our minds seems to indicate otherwise.

Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »

Im greek and im an atheist and my disbelief lies not in not wanting to be punished but throught careful critique of the bible i respect a christians right to believe in christ. I just have a few questions regarding the bible. First if god is ominisint that is he is all-knowing then why would he create the angel lucifer knowing he would revolt and tempt adam and eve to eat the fruit in the garden of even leading to christ's eventual crucifixition. Second is the question of freewill which many christians use to rebuttle the first question and that is if god knew that adam and eve were going to eat the fruit then what is the point of the narrative as a whole "the heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps" proverbs 16"9 from this we can see that god knew all along that lucifer would revolt, adam and eve would eat the fruit and that judas would betray him. Also if god is all powerful then when he came down to earth in the form of his son god as man or jesus christ he still has the qualities of what we will call a god( in the ten commandments thou shall have no gods before me implies there are other gods) they how can humans with inferior mortal faculties kill a god who is omnipitient if jesus is real he should still be alive on the cross and we should be able to ask him and question we want. if anybody has any objections to this logic i would be happy to debate them in a civil and noncritical way as i have stated i am tolerant of other peoples belief systems

That's actually not what Proverbs 16:9 states.   "He who does evil things is an abomination to a king, for the throne of a ruler is prepared with righteousness.  Righteous lips are acceptable to a king and he loves upright words."  Proverbs 16:8-9 (Orthodox Study Bible).

God is a mystery, the Trinity is a mystery.  The Orthodox never said it wasn't, but instead those of us who choose to accept Christianity have chosen to embrace the Mystery.  To accept that there is a God who loves us so much, that he chose to conquer death so that we might be forgiven.   C.S. Lewis once said that we should forgive others, because God chose to forgive the inexcusable in us.   

The Lord is also not stating that there are other gods when he issued the commandments on Exodus.   Yet Moses knew well, that in the minds and hearts of the Israelites that polytheism was not unheard of and so a commandment had to be issued.   "For all of the gods of the nations are demons, but the Lord made the heavens." (Psalm 95:5),  Instead of demons most Protestant bibles which use the Hebrew translation use the word "idols".    This is repeated throughout Scripture, we make gods after our own likeness, gods of gold, wood, and silver.  It doesn't mean they are real though except in our imaginations. 

Jesus is real, but he also took on a human nature.  How could the economy of salvation ever work out, if he were not also human?  He came to live with us, to dwell with us, to eat with us.  He was said to have cried tears of blood in Gethsamane, was tempted in the wilderness for 40 days as we are all tempted.    Yet he rose above it all because of his divine nature that was Pre-existent, and always was.    His Pre-Incarnate form is evidence throughout Scripture according to the Fathers, as the "angel of the LORD".   

But when it comes to the act of Faith itself,  I should know that it is very difficult.  You cannot come to belief on your own, but if you would give yourself a chance to attend Divine Liturgy and to pray you will eventually feel something.  Even if you don't know who or what you are praying to just yet, eventually that spark of Faith can be ignited in your heart.   Keep in mind that much as a flower, it must be fed and nurtured.  This is something I have had to learn as well in spite of all of the chaos going on in my mental, emotional, and spiritual life as some have taken note of by my previous posts on this Forum.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »

can you cite the existence of jesus in a text outside the bible

If you had come into contact with God, when he spoke with you, and talked with you -- would your life not also radically be transformed that you yourself would follow him to the ends of the earth?  Then you know why most reliable testimonies are from strictly Christian sources.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »

Not really.
The universe through my eyes is different than yours.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »

can you cite the existence of jesus in a text outside the bible
Josephus: Antiquities of the Jews: Book 18 Chapter 3
Tacitus: Annals: 15:44
Thallus: quoted by Julius Africanus: Extant Writings (Ante Nicean Fathers: by Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson) (possible mention of the solar eclipse at the crucifixion)
Pliny the Younger: Letters
Talmud: Sanhedrin 43a p.281
Lucian: The Death of Peregrine: Works of Lucian of Samosata

Source (regrettably).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:40:15 PM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2013, 01:42:58 PM »

Not really.

Your belief that your perception of blue is different than my perception of blue is different than my perception that my perception of blue is different than your perception of blue.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2013, 01:48:36 PM »

Not really.

Your belief that your perception of blue is different than my perception of blue is different than my perception that my perception of blue is different than your perception of blue.
This+sig=win.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »

I know the theory you are telling us about. It's one of the most funny ones.
But it's not real.  Grin
Tell me now. God wanted to forgive mankind. Yo uaks why He sent His Son? We have decided to stay away. To bring us back He wants us to say yes. He respects free will. Show the sacrifice was needed. Someone perfect. Sacrificing one hair of Christ could save us but He wanted to suffer so much to show His true love.

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2013, 06:56:30 PM »

Not really.
You sure about that?

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2013, 08:48:14 PM »

The thread would've been more interesting had it been "Why God is definitely not actual". Cool
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:48:39 PM by Nephi » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: