OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 11:06:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Shia' songs are too many?  (Read 940 times) Average Rating: 0
Aedificare

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe

« on: July 31, 2013, 08:38:26 PM »

Salām!

At what point should a Christian stop listening to Iranian Shia' Nasheeds and songs about Imam Ali (peace be upon him, عليه السلام) for entertainment?
How many are too many daily?

May God be your Guardian. (خُدا حافِظ)
Math lover

Faith: Shia Muslim
Jurisdiction: Twelver

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »

Salām!

At what point should a Christian stop listening to Iranian Shia' Nasheeds and songs about Imam Ali (peace be upon him, عليه السلام) for entertainment?

I don't get why should it become too many. Fearing that you may convert?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »

One.

Why would you even listen to that?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:57:18 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »

All of them.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 12:21:32 AM »

Salām!

Just curious, why would a Russian Orthodox be speaking Arabic, honoring Ali with the PBUH stuff, etc.? Much less Shia music.

And where are all these Muslims and Muslim-haters appearing from lately? It's like we go through cycles of attracting different sorts of people: Macedonians, Muslims, anti-Macedonians, barely-intelligible-mystics, etc.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:37:14 AM »

Salām!

Probably before you started this silliness.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 01:16:38 AM »

Awful lot of creeping apostasy and راندوم أرابيك اند فارسي ووردس around here for no reason lately...

Stop listening to stuff that is making you glorify Christ-denying heathens.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:17:26 AM »

be speaking Arabic

Or Persian, in hindsight. It's been too long since I took Arabic and I remember too little of it.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:11 AM »

Awful lot of creeping apostasy and راندوم أرابيك اند فارسي ووردس around here for no reason lately...

I actually just mentioned in PM to someone that casual apostasy and flaunting conversion to Islam seems to be the flavor of the month here on OC.net.  

I'll go ahead and post our responses in the Hyperdox Herman thread so as to save others the trouble.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:23:46 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 01:25:17 AM »

I actually just mentioned in PM to someone that casual apostasy and flaunting conversion to Islam seems to be the flavor of the month here on OC.net.  

I'll go ahead and post our responses in the Hyperdox Herman thread so as to save others the trouble.

Casual Apostasy? Is that like nonchalant heresy and effortless conversion?

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 01:30:31 AM »

Salām!

Probably before you started this silliness.

+1

I listen to some Islamic artists but I feel no need to glorify Islamic prophets or insert Islamic phrases into my text.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:35:47 AM »

I like 'em, especially the nonchalant heresy one.

Casual apostasy, if I may temporarily lay claim to the term, differs in my mind from the "I no longer find truth in _____, and I have decided to leave ______ and become _______!!!!"  

Nonchalant heresy seems to be shown, amongst others, in the "Yahwist" sort as of late.  

I'm honestly not sure to which camp "the peace be upon Imam Ali" belongs, or if it straddles both.

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 01:48:27 AM »

Salām!

Iranian ones can be pretty bad, kind of blasphemous. But I listen all of the time. I still quite admire the Shi'a religion.  I'm quite interested of your history with Islam, where you born a Shi'a Muslim? Or did you convert?

Salām!

Just curious, why would a Russian Orthodox be speaking Arabic, honoring Ali with the PBUH stuff, etc.? Much less Shia music.

And where are all these Muslims and Muslim-haters appearing from lately? It's like we go through cycles of attracting different sorts of people: Macedonians, Muslims, anti-Macedonians, barely-intelligible-mystics, etc.

What's wrong with Arabic? I thought the Arabs post-dated the Europeans in their Christianity.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:53:16 AM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 01:54:16 AM »

+1

I listen to some Islamic artists but I feel no need to glorify Islamic prophets or insert Islamic phrases into my text.

And +1 returned (not rejected).  

I similarly listen to some Islamic music, but I also recognize that limits exist, and that they exist for a reason.  Although not necessarily Shia Nasheeds, Islamic music, particularly Sufi traditions have long viewed music as a vehicle for conversion.  I don't blame them, nor do I mean to make that sound overly nefarious.  Still, one shouldn't be shocked when it has an effect on someone.

Orthodox Christianity tends to be wary of teachings and spiritual arts and practices other than its own, not simply because of close-mindedness or ignorant fear, but because it recognizes a level of real danger or divergence contained within them.  Do priests and the laity sometimes overplay or misguidedly attack things? Almost certainly.  That doesn't mean, despite what some may try to spin, that there isn't legitimate cause for concern.  And anyone claiming that this is just puritanical influence from outside Orthodoxy is likely either ignorant of widespread cautionary teachings, lending too much weight to examples--representative of correct teaching or not--supporting their position, or is lying.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 02:04:48 AM »

Iranian ones can be pretty bad, kind of blasphemous. But I listen all of the time.

I'm no priest, and I'm sure not your guide, but if you are a sincere inquirer into Orthodox Christianity, you may want to ask yourself why you are doing this.
I still quite admire the Shi'a religion.  I'm quite interested of your history with Islam, where you born a Shi'a Muslim? Or did you convert? 

One can admire a religion without doing what this poster is doing.  I admire the courage of many Shia, as well as noting their suffering, and I find the faith and sect interesting...

I'll let the OP speak for himself, but his profile indicates his faith is Orthodox Christian.  His post, however, does not.   

What's wrong with Arabic? I thought the Arabs post-dated the Europeans in their Christianity.

I'm not sure if this is a serious question or not.  Obviously nothing is wrong with Arabic, but when you start posting Islamic phrases in Arabic after Islamic leaders' names, it isn't exactly kosher for Orthodoxy.

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 02:09:39 AM »

Iranian ones can be pretty bad, kind of blasphemous. But I listen all of the time.

I'm no priest, and I'm sure not your guide, but if you are a sincere inquirer into Orthodox Christianity, you may want to ask yourself why you are doing this.

It just happens. I listen to chants, hymns and Psalms too. I also listen to Latin Mass once in a while.

I'm not sure if this is a serious question or not.  Obviously nothing is wrong with Arabic, but when you start posting Islamic phrases in Arabic after Islamic leaders' names, it isn't exactly kosher for Orthodoxy.

Touche.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »

Nothing wrong with Arabic, I just didn't understand why a Russian Orthodox would be using Arabic in that way.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »

Nothing wrong with Arabic but a lot wrong with a Christian copy-pasting Islamic phraseology into his text.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:28:22 PM by Alpo » Logged

Math lover

Faith: Shia Muslim
Jurisdiction: Twelver

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »

It just happens. I listen to chants, hymns and Psalms too. I also listen to Latin Mass once in a while.

Touche.

I'm curious, what makes you admire the Shia faith?
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »

Nothing wrong with Arabic, I just didn't understand why a Russian Orthodox would be using Arabic in that way.

Probably for the same reason a Greek Orthodox would use Church Slavonic- because it looks foreign.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »

One, is too many.

There are so many beautiful Orthodox hymns, why would you waste your time with anything else?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »

because it looks foreign.

I think you're confusing foreign with stupid.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »

It's what people to today.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »

Touche.

I'm curious, what makes you admire the Shia faith?

Beauty and devotion, also mystery, Shi'a resources are not as accessible as Sunni ones, I also am curious about the lives of the other Imams, like Imam al-Kathim, Imam al-Ridha and Imam al-Sadiq.

I actually, at least for scholarly report, would like to own some Shi'a hadith collections and learn more about Shi'ite history in general.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:38:52 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »

I don't mean to sound like an extremist or anything, but am I the only one here who is not the least bit interested in divisions within a false religion, and finds any attraction or admiration of Christians to any form or Islam baffling? I mean, I appreciate that the Shi'ite ruler built the Armenian Church in new Julfa back in 1600-whatever, but that's about as far as it goes. Comparatively it does seem that Shi'a are more tolerant than their Sunni brethren (probably because they know what it's like to be persecuted for being a religious minority), so I know which I'd rather live with if there were only the two main choices, but at the end of the day, it's still Islam. What is it that the Qur'an says, after all..."All kuffar is one nation" or some such?

Well...yeah, that. Wink

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »

I don't mean to sound like an extremist or anything, but am I the only one here who is not the least bit interested in divisions within a false religion, and finds any attraction or admiration of Christians to any form or Islam baffling? I mean, I appreciate that the Shi'ite ruler built the Armenian Church in new Julfa back in 1600-whatever, but that's about as far as it goes. Comparatively it does seem that Shi'a are more tolerant than their Sunni brethren (probably because they know what it's like to be persecuted for being a religious minority), so I know which I'd rather live with if there were only the two main choices, but at the end of the day, it's still Islam. What is it that the Qur'an says, after all..."All kuffar is one nation" or some such?

Well...yeah, that. Wink

I find Catholicism nice too.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »

Probably not a problem until you allow it to lead you astray.  I listen to Odinist music quite frequently, but I am not going to worship the allfather any time soon.  He is a character to me.  It helps that it is a dead religion for all intents and purposes.  I think it would be much easier to slide into Islam than it would be to go Viking in any meaningful sense.

Peace be with you!  香辣豬肉口味的冰淇淋
Tags: Islam Shia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: