OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 01:50:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Elder Leonid of Optina an acceptable patron saint?  (Read 379 times) Average Rating: 0
chrisiacovetti

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Uncertain

« on: July 29, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »

I've been reading for the last few days about potential patron saints, and I've been drawn to the Elder Leonid of Optina in particular. Though I originally found him in a "lives of the saints" section on a website, I haven't been able to find a clearly established answer as to whether or not he is actually considered a saint. In some websites, it seems like the "Elders of Optina" are venerated as one sort of collective saint -- is this the case? I'm confused.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »

Do you already have normal Western Christian name?
chrisiacovetti

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »

Do you already have normal Western Christian name?

Yeah, I do (it's Christopher). I read a post on here with some people arguing over whether or not a convert should choose a saint whose name he shares or whether he should simply pick any saint he's most drawn to spiritually. I take it you fall into the first camp?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »

According to Orthodoxwiki he is glorified as a saint. As for taking a new name, there are indeed various opinions on that, and really even more options that you mentioned, so it can get complicated.

- Take a saint that you were named after, with no deviation
- Take a saint with a name you were given, though not necessarily the same one, or even necessarily a universally recognized saint)
- Take a saint having to do with your birthday or reception day
- Take a saint you feel attached/attracted to, and be called by that name (for communion, etc.)
- Take a saint you feel attached/attracted to, yet be called by both that and your given name
- Take the name a priest/random person suggests.
- Make one up based on an already existing saint of the opposite gender

I'm not quite sure what to make of the common argument for Christianity that might be rephrased as: "Well, it's better than suicide, right?"
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:24:45 PM »

Generally speaking, yes. What's wrong with Christopher?
chrisiacovetti

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »

Generally speaking, yes. What's wrong with Christopher?

I guess I just felt more drawn to the idea of choosing one for spiritual reasons -- not for practical ones. I understand that some feel sticking with the name you always had does have spiritual grounding, but most of the reasons I've come across seem shallowly practical.

p.s. Are there any Orthodox saints named Christopher besides St Christopher of Lycia? I just can't find a good list anywhere.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »

April 14 - St. Christopher the Sabbaite
April 19 - Martyrs Christopher, Theonas and Antoninus at Rome
July 25 - St. Christopher, abbot of Solvychegodsk
August 18 - St. Christopher, abbot of Mt. Mela Monastery
August 30 - St. Christopher of Palestine
November 19 - Martyrs Anthimus, Thalalaeus, Christopher, Euphemia and her children.
November 24 - Martyrs Philemenus, Christopher, Eugene, Procopius, and another Christopher

I'm not quite sure what to make of the common argument for Christianity that might be rephrased as: "Well, it's better than suicide, right?"
chrisiacovetti

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 08:51:35 AM »

April 14 - St. Christopher the Sabbaite
April 19 - Martyrs Christopher, Theonas and Antoninus at Rome
July 25 - St. Christopher, abbot of Solvychegodsk
August 18 - St. Christopher, abbot of Mt. Mela Monastery
August 30 - St. Christopher of Palestine
November 19 - Martyrs Anthimus, Thalalaeus, Christopher, Euphemia and her children.
November 24 - Martyrs Philemenus, Christopher, Eugene, Procopius, and another Christopher

Aside from St Christopher of Palestine, where can I get any info about these saints' lives? I didn't see any when I tried looking them up.
Martyr Eugenia

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:14:52 AM »

http://oca.org/saints/lives?q=christopher
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: