OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 02:15:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whites most racist? Not so fast says a new Rasmussen report.  (Read 1694 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: July 29, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »

More Americans View Blacks As Racist Than Whites, Hispanics
-----------------------------------------------------------

Americans consider blacks more likely to be racist than whites and Hispanics in this country.

Thirty-seven percent (37%) of American Adults think most black Americans are racist, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Just 15% consider most white Americans racist, while 18% say the same of most Hispanic Americans.

For the rest of the story, please follow the link:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/july_2013/more_americans_view_blacks_as_racist_than_whites_hispanics

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »

Uh...oh...

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »

Well, the majority of adults in the US ARE white, so I don't think it is necessarily suprising that they are adverse to self-condemnation.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »

Well, the majority of adults in the US ARE white, so I don't think it is necessarily suprising that they are adverse to self-condemnation.

True, but the article also states, "Among black Americans, 31% think most blacks are racist, while 24% consider most whites racist and 15% view most Hispanics that way."   So, according to this, more blacks consider blacks to be racist than they do whites.  Interesting.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »

I'm suprised at the number of people thinking race relations are getting worse.  It seems like things are going in a very positive direction as far as that is concerned.  Look where the country was 50 years ago.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »

I'm suprised at the number of people thinking race relations are getting worse.  It seems like things are going in a very positive direction as far as that is concerned.  Look where the country was 50 years ago.

Sad, isn't it?  Actually, worse than sad. Sad Sad

If I say any more here, this thread will probably get bumped to "Politics".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:19:47 PM by J Michael » Logged

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »

I'm suprised at the number of people thinking race relations are getting worse.  It seems like things are going in a very positive direction as far as that is concerned.  Look where the country was 50 years ago.

Our cities are more segregated than ever, even if our buildings and public spaces aren't.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »

I feel lucky that I am exposed to so little of this purported racism. The worst I see is the reposting of racist memes by my moron ex-step-brother on facebook.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »

Now that's a load of bull

It's no secret that we Hispanics are the most racist of all. Only difference is that for some reason the media ignores us and views Blacks as the only minority in America Smiley My grandparents are extremely racist against Black people, more so than any White redneck I've ever met, and they're full blooded Mexicans. They also hate White people just as much and say that Native Americans are lazy.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Aedificare

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Denmark is less welcoming? I'm crushed  Sad
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »

The survey was probably conducted by a Swede
Aedificare

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »

That's the most racist thing I've heard in this thread.  Embarrassed
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »

Denmark is less welcoming? I'm crushed  Sad

That's the most racist thing I've heard in this thread.  Embarrassed

I think it was a joke.  Smiley

But, granted, we aren't exactly known for being hospitable. That, combined with ridiculously high prices, isn't exactly good for the tourist industry, a point which our beloved newspapers haven't allowed us to forget the past few weeks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:26:14 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »

Ever been to a college campus?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »

There are those with vested interests in seeing no change over the last 50 years.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »

I've found that Muslim Arabs in America are probably the most racist or at least hateful of them all, tbh. I know several of their kids at school who are miserable or constantly abused by their parents simply for associating with American kids. I know several Muslim girls who've gotten black eyes or bruises simply for saying hello to an American boy. My ice-cream man once related to me a story where he went to the ice cream shop to stock up on supplies and it was ran by a group of Arabs who had a big picture of Osama Bin Laden on the wall with candles around it.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »

More Americans View Blacks As Racist Than Whites, Hispanics
-----------------------------------------------------------

Americans consider blacks more likely to be racist than whites and Hispanics in this country.

Thirty-seven percent (37%) of American Adults think most black Americans are racist, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Just 15% consider most white Americans racist, while 18% say the same of most Hispanic Americans.

For the rest of the story, please follow the link:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/july_2013/more_americans_view_blacks_as_racist_than_whites_hispanics

The reverse is actually true when a white person goes into an African-American neighborhood.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 11:11:59 PM »

I've found that Muslim Arabs in America are probably the most racist or at least hateful of them all, tbh. I know several of their kids at school who are miserable or constantly abused by their parents simply for associating with American kids. I know several Muslim girls who've gotten black eyes or bruises simply for saying hello to an American boy. My ice-cream man once related to me a story where he went to the ice cream shop to stock up on supplies and it was ran by a group of Arabs who had a big picture of Osama Bin Laden on the wall with candles around it.

While it may very well be that the people you speak of from your real-life experience are racist, that is not the only possible explanation.  People come to this country from all over the world in search of a better life, better opportunities, but are not necessarily looking for a "better culture".  And, if they wanted one, "America" might not be the one they'd prefer.  There are wonderful things about the American "culture" and people, but its values and morals really do not always mesh well with more "traditional" cultures.  Those parents may very well be doing the best they know how to make sure their kids get the best of what America has to offer and not also the worst.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 12:15:06 AM »

In New Mexico, those who are the receiving end of racism are usually Native Americans. It's sad because they have already suffered a great deal.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 08:34:28 AM »

Ever been to a college campus?
LOL!  True.  You got me there.   Cheesy

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »

I wonder if part of Blacks looking like they are racist is the fact that they have to come to terms with what happened until the Civil War and the fight for civil rights in the 20th century.  Sometimes when a group bands together on the defensive, they may appear to be "racist" or "snobbish" while they are really in a defensive mode.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »

I wonder if part of Blacks looking like they are racist is the fact that they have to come to terms with what happened until the Civil War and the fight for civil rights in the 20th century.  Sometimes when a group bands together on the defensive, they may appear to be "racist" or "snobbish" while they are really in a defensive mode.

Remembering the movie "Patton" where a Armed Forces journalist asked Gen. Geo. Patton if he and Field Marshall Montgomery considered themselves 'Prima Donnas'.  Upon which he answered, and I'm paraphrasing: "I know I'm a Prima Donna, but what I don't understand is why Monty doesn't".   So, its so easy to blame whites as racist but to ignore racism by other ethnicities is not being truthful.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »

Why doesn't this map show a big red spot for Israel........the most racist nation on the planet.

Oh right, it's put  out there by the Jerusalem, er, I mean Washington Post.

Nothing to see here, moving on.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »

Why doesn't this map show a big red spot for Israel........the most racist nation on the planet.

It says "Attitude of population toward foreign visitors." The Israelis are quite friendly towards foreigners, it's the locals they aren't particularly nice to.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »

I'm slightly hesitant to jump-start a thread about racism, but I'd like to share a thought: white Americans are pretty individualistic, which I think is one factor that makes it more difficult to understand certain things like the current demonstrations/protests in Ferguson, MO.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »

My grandparents are extremely racist against Black people, more so than any White redneck I've ever met, and they're full blooded Mexicans.

Blacks in many countries are often racist towards eachother as well. 'Black' Surinamers with a brown skin colour and the Indo-Surinamese look down upon the Creole and the Maroons, who are even more black. Parents discourage their brown children to marry blacks. Those marriages are scandalous and pretty rare.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:06:06 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »

I'm more curious as to why there isn't a big red spot for NY.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 10:12:49 AM »

Im not surprised by this. The most hateful things I ever heard about other races came from black groups.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »

I'm slightly hesitant to jump-start a thread about racism, but I'd like to share a thought: white Americans are pretty individualistic, which I think is one factor that makes it more difficult to understand certain things like the current demonstrations/protests in Ferguson, MO.
you mean, rioting for a strong arm robber?

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »

What is more surprising is that those people rioted before they even knew why the boy had been shot.

Does burning and looting shops bring back the dead? Were the shopowners responsible for the shooting?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:52:46 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »

What is more surprising is that those people rioted before they even knew why the boy had been shot.

Does burning and looting shops bring back the dead? Were the shopowners responsible for the shooting?

I don't know why inner city blacks riot in their neighborhoods and ruin the business infrastructure in order to attain some sort of justice for what they perceive as an injustice done to them.....Maybe they see that any injury or killing of any one person is an attack on all.   This is the only thing I can think of when this happens.  But, ruining one's own neighborhood to satisfy one's grief or supposed grief is only going to back fire on the general population after the dust settles down.  Can blacks be racist? Of course, anyone is capable of racism if they allow themselves to succumb to it.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »

"Black culture" holds black people back. Pure and simple.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »

I don't know why inner city blacks riot in their neighborhoods and ruin the business infrastructure in order to attain some sort of justice for what they perceive as an injustice done to them.....Maybe they see that any injury or killing of any one person is an attack on all. 

Perhaps, but the shopkeepers aren't responsible for the incident. It isn't unlikely that the shopkeepers themselves are black.

-Giuseppe Verdi
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 11:19:26 AM »

I don't know why inner city blacks riot in their neighborhoods and ruin the business infrastructure in order to attain some sort of justice for what they perceive as an injustice done to them.....Maybe they see that any injury or killing of any one person is an attack on all.   This is the only thing I can think of when this happens.  But, ruining one's own neighborhood to satisfy one's grief or supposed grief is only going to back fire on the general population after the dust settles down.  Can blacks be racist? Of course, anyone is capable of racism if they allow themselves to succumb to it.
From the reports that I have seen and heard, much of the rioting was done by people who came in from St. Louis, not locals. The locals were performing the largely peaceful daytime protests and the thugs from the inner city would show up at night and wreak havoc. I'm sure there are exceptions, but those are the reports that I have seen. Also, Ferguson isn't "inner city".

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »

From the reports that I have seen and heard, much of the rioting was done by people who came in from St. Louis, not locals. The locals were performing the largely peaceful daytime protests and the thugs from the inner city would show up at night and wreak havoc. I'm sure there are exceptions, but those are the reports that I have seen. Also, Ferguson isn't "inner city".

The locals need to be alert and identify who doesn't belong in a peaceful demonstrations.  Some, for many reasons, enjoy escalating an already inflamed situation....some do it to get TV attention others it may be just frustration, anger, whatever.   But this destructive activity is never acceptable.   
Aquensis

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 12:34:23 PM »

I sat in on an "African Studies" class once and several things I learned that day:

White people only marry other white people because they are racist.

Giving your kids white names like Johnathon, David, etc is racist (funny thing - they listed a bunch of names, all of them were Hebrew).

Being white is racist.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »

I sat in on an "African Studies" class once and several things I learned that day:

Giving your kids white names like Johnathon, David, etc is racist (funny thing - they listed a bunch of names, all of them were Hebrew).

Being white is racist.

I have the sneaking suspicion this claim could be taken away by the garbage truck and no one would know the difference.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Aquensis

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »

Being white is racist.

I have the sneaking suspicion this claim could be taken away by the garbage truck and no one would know the difference.

I'm not sure exactly what that means? Are you saying I'm lying? Sorry, it did happen in January 2012 at UF.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »

While it may very well be that the people you speak of from your real-life experience are racist, that is not the only possible explanation.  People come to this country from all over the world in search of a better life, better opportunities, but are not necessarily looking for a "better culture".  And, if they wanted one, "America" might not be the one they'd prefer.  There are wonderful things about the American "culture" and people, but its values and morals really do not always mesh well with more "traditional" cultures.  Those parents may very well be doing the best they know how to make sure their kids get the best of what America has to offer and not also the worst.    

Wait... what?

You think it is acceptable to hit your little daughter so hard it givers her black eyes and bruises to prevent her from mingling with the kids from the culture that gives you both opportunities your own country would never provide you and deny to her? You think it is ok to cultivate an arrogant despise towards the society that helps you to the point you would hurt your own children if they don't cultivate the same disgraceful feelings?

That is the summary of all that is wrong with anti-American hate in the last decades.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:55:11 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »

Perhaps a better explanation would be that people move here so they aren't getting shot at by Muslim extremists yet at the same time do not want their child turning into a Miley Cyrus wannabe.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »

Perhaps a better explanation would be that people move here so they aren't getting shot at by Muslim extremists yet at the same time do not want their child turning into a Miley Cyrus wannabe.

*Even* if that was what they wanted and not simply socialize like any normal human being. Black eyes and bruises? That is not just a little slap on the hand for trying to stick the finger into the cake.

Honestly, any culture that thinks that beating women and children is ok is the one that has to be avoided. It's about time to quit the silliness that whatever shallow aspects there may exist in American pop culture, the barbarism and inhumaness of many other cultures is far worse.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:02:50 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »

*Even* if that was what they wanted and not simply socialize like any normal human being. Black eyes and bruises? That is not just a little slap on the hand for trying to stick the finger into the cake.

Honestly, any culture that thinks that beating women and children is ok is the one that has to be avoided. It's about time to quit the silliness that whatever shallow aspects there may exist in American pop culture, the barbarism and inhumaness of many other cultures is far worse.
I'm not sure it can be said that it is standard operating procedure for Muslims to beat the women and children. Certainly some do, just like some Christians, Hindus and nontheists do as well.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »

I'm not sure it can be said that it is standard operating procedure for Muslims to beat the women and children. Certainly some do, just like some Christians, Hindus and nontheists do as well.

I'm not generalizing. I'm talking about the specific case above. Someone beat a little girl so hard as to give her a black eye and bruises just to prevent her from socializing with American friends at school. That is hate, ungratefulness and utterly condemnable. It's not a case of "cultural relativism". It's a crime and should be treated as such.

Now, as for the cultural relativism. Cultural relativists will always say "Ha, hypocrite, you condemn this in culture X, but it also happens in yours". Which is just a fallacy. Everything happens everywhere, from the greatest virtues to the lowest vices, because we are all humans, we all have the law of God in our hearts and the potential to be worse than demons in our life. What characterizes a culture is what it considers normative and what it considers wrong.

I can read texts of the Fathers teaching husbands not to beat their wives. I can find priests and pastors teaching the same. Likewise, I can easily find muslim texts and teachers on youtube saying it is ok to beat wives. In both cultures there are men who do it and men who don't. The difference is that Christianity considers it normative not to do it and Islam clearly considers normative to do it. Christians who beat their wives, even if they belong to cultures where it is more common, are less Christian for that. Muslims who do it, even in cultures where this is forbidden, are not worse Muslims for that.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2014, 01:55:32 PM »

You should do more research on Miley Cyrus.  I'm sorry, but attempting to emulate Miley Cyrus is certainly cause for beating, if not lethal force, just for the good of the gene pool.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: