OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 05:12:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whites most racist? Not so fast says a new Rasmussen report.  (Read 770 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: July 29, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »

More Americans View Blacks As Racist Than Whites, Hispanics
-----------------------------------------------------------

Americans consider blacks more likely to be racist than whites and Hispanics in this country.

Thirty-seven percent (37%) of American Adults think most black Americans are racist, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Just 15% consider most white Americans racist, while 18% say the same of most Hispanic Americans.

For the rest of the story, please follow the link:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/july_2013/more_americans_view_blacks_as_racist_than_whites_hispanics

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »

Uh...oh...

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »

Well, the majority of adults in the US ARE white, so I don't think it is necessarily suprising that they are adverse to self-condemnation.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »

Well, the majority of adults in the US ARE white, so I don't think it is necessarily suprising that they are adverse to self-condemnation.

True, but the article also states, "Among black Americans, 31% think most blacks are racist, while 24% consider most whites racist and 15% view most Hispanics that way."   So, according to this, more blacks consider blacks to be racist than they do whites.  Interesting.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »

I'm suprised at the number of people thinking race relations are getting worse.  It seems like things are going in a very positive direction as far as that is concerned.  Look where the country was 50 years ago.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »

I'm suprised at the number of people thinking race relations are getting worse.  It seems like things are going in a very positive direction as far as that is concerned.  Look where the country was 50 years ago.

Sad, isn't it?  Actually, worse than sad. Sad Sad

If I say any more here, this thread will probably get bumped to "Politics".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:19:47 PM by J Michael » Logged

88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »

I'm suprised at the number of people thinking race relations are getting worse.  It seems like things are going in a very positive direction as far as that is concerned.  Look where the country was 50 years ago.

Our cities are more segregated than ever, even if our buildings and public spaces aren't.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »

I feel lucky that I am exposed to so little of this purported racism. The worst I see is the reposting of racist memes by my moron ex-step-brother on facebook.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »

Now that's a load of bull

It's no secret that we Hispanics are the most racist of all. Only difference is that for some reason the media ignores us and views Blacks as the only minority in America Smiley My grandparents are extremely racist against Black people, more so than any White redneck I've ever met, and they're full blooded Mexicans. They also hate White people just as much and say that Native Americans are lazy.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
Aedificare

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe

Bed til Gud for oss, Heilage Apostel Andreas.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Denmark is less welcoming? I'm crushed  Sad

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »

The survey was probably conducted by a Swede
Aedificare

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe

Bed til Gud for oss, Heilage Apostel Andreas.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »

That's the most racist thing I've heard in this thread.  Embarrassed
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »

Denmark is less welcoming? I'm crushed  Sad

That's the most racist thing I've heard in this thread.  Embarrassed

I think it was a joke.  Smiley

But, granted, we aren't exactly known for being hospitable. That, combined with ridiculously high prices, isn't exactly good for the tourist industry, a point which our beloved newspapers haven't allowed us to forget the past few weeks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:26:14 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »

Ever been to a college campus?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »

There are those with vested interests in seeing no change over the last 50 years.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »

I've found that Muslim Arabs in America are probably the most racist or at least hateful of them all, tbh. I know several of their kids at school who are miserable or constantly abused by their parents simply for associating with American kids. I know several Muslim girls who've gotten black eyes or bruises simply for saying hello to an American boy. My ice-cream man once related to me a story where he went to the ice cream shop to stock up on supplies and it was ran by a group of Arabs who had a big picture of Osama Bin Laden on the wall with candles around it.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »

More Americans View Blacks As Racist Than Whites, Hispanics
-----------------------------------------------------------

Americans consider blacks more likely to be racist than whites and Hispanics in this country.

Thirty-seven percent (37%) of American Adults think most black Americans are racist, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Just 15% consider most white Americans racist, while 18% say the same of most Hispanic Americans.

For the rest of the story, please follow the link:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/july_2013/more_americans_view_blacks_as_racist_than_whites_hispanics

The reverse is actually true when a white person goes into an African-American neighborhood.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 11:11:59 PM »

I've found that Muslim Arabs in America are probably the most racist or at least hateful of them all, tbh. I know several of their kids at school who are miserable or constantly abused by their parents simply for associating with American kids. I know several Muslim girls who've gotten black eyes or bruises simply for saying hello to an American boy. My ice-cream man once related to me a story where he went to the ice cream shop to stock up on supplies and it was ran by a group of Arabs who had a big picture of Osama Bin Laden on the wall with candles around it.

While it may very well be that the people you speak of from your real-life experience are racist, that is not the only possible explanation.  People come to this country from all over the world in search of a better life, better opportunities, but are not necessarily looking for a "better culture".  And, if they wanted one, "America" might not be the one they'd prefer.  There are wonderful things about the American "culture" and people, but its values and morals really do not always mesh well with more "traditional" cultures.  Those parents may very well be doing the best they know how to make sure their kids get the best of what America has to offer and not also the worst.   

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 12:15:06 AM »

In New Mexico, those who are the receiving end of racism are usually Native Americans. It's sad because they have already suffered a great deal.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 08:34:28 AM »

Ever been to a college campus?
LOL!  True.  You got me there.   Cheesy

Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »

I wonder if part of Blacks looking like they are racist is the fact that they have to come to terms with what happened until the Civil War and the fight for civil rights in the 20th century.  Sometimes when a group bands together on the defensive, they may appear to be "racist" or "snobbish" while they are really in a defensive mode.
JoeS2
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »

I wonder if part of Blacks looking like they are racist is the fact that they have to come to terms with what happened until the Civil War and the fight for civil rights in the 20th century.  Sometimes when a group bands together on the defensive, they may appear to be "racist" or "snobbish" while they are really in a defensive mode.

Remembering the movie "Patton" where a Armed Forces journalist asked Gen. Geo. Patton if he and Field Marshall Montgomery considered themselves 'Prima Donnas'.  Upon which he answered, and I'm paraphrasing: "I know I'm a Prima Donna, but what I don't understand is why Monty doesn't".   So, its so easy to blame whites as racist but to ignore racism by other ethnicities is not being truthful.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »

Why doesn't this map show a big red spot for Israel........the most racist nation on the planet.

Oh right, it's put  out there by the Jerusalem, er, I mean Washington Post.

Nothing to see here, moving on.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »

Why doesn't this map show a big red spot for Israel........the most racist nation on the planet.

Oh right, it's put  out there by the Jerusalem, er, I mean Washington Post.

Nothing to see here, moving on.

It says "Attitude of population toward foreign visitors." The Israelis are quite friendly towards foreigners, it's the locals they aren't particularly nice to.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: