OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:20:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My wife might actually be changing her mind!  (Read 884 times) Average Rating: 0
ConfusedRC

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Hanoi

« on: July 29, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »

I'll try to be brief:

My wife and I met online a year ago. One of the things that immediately attracted us to each other was that we were both Catholics. However, I told her that I was thinking of converting to the Orthodox Church (before we had met in person) and she did not like the idea at all. In fact, she used to get very upset at me if she caught me reading about Orthodoxy. She reiterated this anger a few months ago, after we were married, when she again caught me reading Orthodox material.

But instead of hiding my interest in Orthodoxy, I continue on in a respectful way. I try not to shove Orthodox material in her face, but rather I try to be conspicuous about it. Well, today she looked over my shoulder to see what I was reading (a website with a Orthodox Catechism) and instead of blowing up at me, she asked me if I still wanted to convert to Orthodoxy. I told her that I still pray about it and that I am leaning in that direction (I didn't want to give her the full blast in one shot). Instead of getting angry, she actually calmly asked me to explain. After I gave her a brief explanation, she seemed to just sit on the information and was content. I think she's actually coming around.

Part of the reason I think she's coming around is that she's fed up with the RC. Now, I think she's fed up for the wrong reasons though; she doesn't believe in the "rules" or anything like that. She would probably want to be a Protestant more. But I think this change of heart is perhaps an opportunity to show her about Orthodoxy.

Please keep us in your prayers as we have a long way to go. We live in Hanoi, Vietnam where there are apparently no Orthodox priests. We are also a civilly married couple. So we have some obstacles. But at least she doesn't get angry with me anymore!

Baby steps!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »

Many years to both of you!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

May the Lord aid you both, and guide you gently towards Orthodoxy.

What?  No priests in Vietnam?  We need to remedy that!  ....perhaps YOU will be the first one!  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:05:53 PM »

Glory to God!

What obstacles do you have from being "civilly married"?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 02:10:19 PM »

There aren't Russian/Greek/Serbian/etc. embassies in Vietnam? They might have a priest or perhaps a priest will visit there from time to time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:27:10 PM by Alpo » Logged

biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodoxy_in_Vietnam

You may know this stuff already. I just thought I'd throw it in, in case it helps. Smiley

Good luck to the both of you.  angel

Not posting
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »

Wonderful news. Hope both of you find in Orthodoxy what you seek. We are often afraid of the unkown...and do not wish to explore it...everyone grows in faith according to their pace. May God grant you strength!
ConfusedRC

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »

Glory to God!

What obstacles do you have from being "civilly married"?

Well, I'm not completely sure but won't we have to be married in the Orthodox Church before we can convert? I admit I'm not sure how that works...in the RC, we just have to have a convalidation, which we can do in front of the priest in private.

That raises a question: if we do have the marriage convalidated in the RC, will the Orthodox consider it valid?

Not trying to sound lazy or that we don't have respect for the Sacrament of marriage, but we are 7 1/2 months pregnant and as new parents, are unsure of how much time we will have outside of taking care of our newborn.

I hope that makes sense.
ConfusedRC

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:14:02 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodoxy_in_Vietnam

You may know this stuff already. I just thought I'd throw it in, in case it helps. Smiley

Good luck to the both of you.  angel

Thanks for the link. I did know about the parish in Vung Tau but I didn't know about it being listed under the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. So that gives me a place to look!
ConfusedRC

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »

There aren't Russian/Greek/Serbian/etc. embassies in Vietnam? They might have a priest or perhaps a priest will visit there from time to time.

I will definitely look into this. Thanks!
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »

Lord have mercy on your servants.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »

but won't we have to be married in the Orthodox Church before we can convert?

No. If your civil wedding is according to the law of the land, then you're considered married as far as the Church is concerned. Your priest will in all likelihood recommend that you have an Orthodox wedding, but this can be done after conversion.
ConfusedRC

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 04:31:57 AM »

but won't we have to be married in the Orthodox Church before we can convert?

No. If your civil wedding is according to the law of the land, then you're considered married as far as the Church is concerned. Your priest will in all likelihood recommend that you have an Orthodox wedding, but this can be done after conversion.

Wow very interesting. Thank you so much!
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »

My wife and I used to be Protestant.  Now I am Orthodox and she is Catholic.  We were already married by the time we converted and are still considered married by both Churches.
ConfusedRC

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »

My wife and I used to be Protestant.  Now I am Orthodox and she is Catholic.  We were already married by the time we converted and are still considered married by both Churches.

How do you decide what to,do on Sundays? Does she go to Mass while you go to Divine Liturgy?
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »

My wife and I used to be Protestant.  Now I am Orthodox and she is Catholic.  We were already married by the time we converted and are still considered married by both Churches.
How do you decide what to,do on Sundays? Does she go to Mass while you go to Divine Liturgy?
Yes.  We go out to lunch afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:16:46 PM by Gamliel » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: