OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:27:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transgender teen couple?  (Read 10671 times) Average Rating: 0
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »

Gender is a grammatical construct.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »

Sex (which is not the same as gender) is physical. What it is not is always clear-cut.
Not anymore anyway.

" the state of being male or female"

It's origins go back to the 14th century identifying masculine and feminine.

DNA can determine whether a person was male or female who has long since died. 
Reposting for those who missed it the first time.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2013, 11:41:27 PM »

Although sometimes it involves grammatical destruction as in "Each child should have their own book."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »

Most people who complain about how horrible the world is have never really had it hard.  I don't care that you grew up in the ghetto.  My grandma grew up listening to British bombers blasting crap all night, then seeing Russian dive bombers hitting a ship full of wounded men, and listening to them scream as it went down.  I never hear her bitch about life and I never hear her gripe about God not stopping people from doing evil things that she saw with her very eyes.

When life really does suck, people always seem to either focus on the good or cut the talk and grab the Glock.

This post deserves some kind of recognition.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #184 on: July 31, 2013, 11:49:24 PM »

Video about shoes - worth the 3 minutes to watch it.  Packs quite a punch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofFHeP-9zM

Can't  Sad.  Youtube blocked  Sad Sad.  Can we have pity party for ME now??  PLEASE!!!!

I feel sorry for you. Do you feel better?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2013, 11:51:25 PM »

...like something they really are not in the misguided hope they will be that something.  It does not make them what they want to be.

Isn't that deification--what the entire Christian life is about? We try to act like gods and pretend we're Divine in hopes we'll one day be like God even though most of us will end up in the furnace?
Nope

What kind of psychotic pseudoprotestantism is that?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »

Her restraint in not blaming it on you being an American, and thus not knowing proper English to begin with, is commendable!
I refused to be confined by grammatical gender.  From now I all gender specific words shall be replaced with the word "twig"

Don't you think that's still shows gender bias?

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2013, 07:34:30 AM »

Most people who complain about how horrible the world is have never really had it hard.  I don't care that you grew up in the ghetto.  My grandma grew up listening to British bombers blasting crap all night, then seeing Russian dive bombers hitting a ship full of wounded men, and listening to them scream as it went down.  I never hear her bitch about life and I never hear her gripe about God not stopping people from doing evil things that she saw with her very eyes.

When life really does suck, people always seem to either focus on the good or cut the talk and grab the Glock.

This post deserves some kind of recognition.

Personally, I prefer Sig Sauer, but that's me. Grin
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »

...like something they really are not in the misguided hope they will be that something.  It does not make them what they want to be.

Isn't that deification--what the entire Christian life is about? We try to act like gods and pretend we're Divine in hopes we'll one day be like God even though most of us will end up in the furnace?
Nope

None.  It was a response to what he replied to in an incorrect fashion.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2013, 07:40:41 AM »

I wish them all the best and hope they find all happiness in life.

-c
I hope they find Jesus.

Is Jesus lost? Huh
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2013, 08:36:17 AM »

-c
I hope they find Jesus.

Is Jesus lost? Huh

Almost funny.  Keep working on it.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2013, 09:00:01 AM »

I wish them all well in life.

I don't think you can repress transsexualism without going insane, while a homosexual can be celibate just as easily as a heterosexual.

What's to be repressed? Transsexualism is not an orientation in itself; there are homosexual transsexuals and (belief it or not) heterosexual transsexuals. I think you are confusing "gender" for sex; the two are not the same thing.
They aren't the same any longer because people muddy the waters.  They used to be the same.

No, they aren't the same any longer because we no longer confuse biology and culture.
Corrected.

Muddy waters...

No...THIS is Muddy Waters:

And if you're not familiar with his music, how can you call yourself an American??  Cool
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:02:44 AM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2013, 09:01:36 AM »

Video about shoes - worth the 3 minutes to watch it.  Packs quite a punch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofFHeP-9zM

Can't  Sad.  Youtube blocked  Sad Sad.  Can we have pity party for ME now??  PLEASE!!!!

I feel sorry for you. Do you feel better?

Thank you, thank you, thank you, God bless you, thank you, you're an absolute angel, thank you, God bless you, ohhhh.......thank you!!  NOW I really do feel better.

Thank you.  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »

I wish them all well in life.

I don't think you can repress transsexualism without going insane, while a homosexual can be celibate just as easily as a heterosexual.

What's to be repressed? Transsexualism is not an orientation in itself; there are homosexual transsexuals and (belief it or not) heterosexual transsexuals. I think you are confusing "gender" for sex; the two are not the same thing.
They aren't the same any longer because people muddy the waters.  They used to be the same.

No, they aren't the same any longer because we no longer confuse biology and culture.
Corrected.

Muddy waters...

No...THIS is Muddy Waters:

And if you're not familiar with his music, how can you call yourself an American??  Cool

I agree! Grin
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #194 on: August 01, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23464947

The US Navy Seal who went from Chris to Kristin

Chris Beck spent 20 years operating in secret behind enemy lines as an elite US Navy Seal. But the highly decorated serviceman was always hiding a deeper, personal secret - since early childhood, he felt he was a female born into a male body.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »

Chris Beck spent 20 years operating in secret behind enemy lines as an elite US Navy Seal. But the highly decorated serviceman was always hiding a deeper, personal secret - since early childhood, he felt he was a female born into a male body.

Wow!  He/she did some pretty "manly" stuff for being a "woman", er, a..well...whatever. (Apologies for stereotyping?)  Guess there's hope yet for women being admitted to special forces and SEAL training.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »

Pretty tough looking guy.  If I were gay, I'd say he was hawt.  Not the prettiest girl I have ever seen.  Sad.
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »

Wow!  He/she did some pretty "manly" stuff for being a "woman", er, a..well...whatever. (Apologies for stereotyping?)  Guess there's hope yet for women being admitted to special forces and SEAL training.

That's not that rare among transsexuals.  Some try to dive into hypermasculine personas hoping it will get rid of their intense gender dysphoria, but it usually doesn't work.  One of the first public transsexuals in Britain was a former race-car driver and adventurer.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »

That's not that rare among transsexuals.  Some try to dive into hypermasculine personas hoping it will get rid of their intense gender dysphoria, but it usually doesn't work.  One of the first public transsexuals in Britain was a former race-car driver and adventurer.

Sad

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »

And he is still a he. 

"I know who I am!  I'm a dude, pretending to be a dude, disguised as another dude!"
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »

Sex (which is not the same as gender) is physical. What it is not is always clear-cut.
Not anymore anyway.

" the state of being male or female"

It's origins go back to the 14th century identifying masculine and feminine.

DNA can determine whether a person was male or female who has long since died. 
Reposting for those who missed it the first time.

Is masculine the same as male?  Is feminine the same as female?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »

-c
I hope they find Jesus.

Is Jesus lost? Huh

Almost funny.  Keep working on it.

You don't really hope they "find Jesus." Your posts following that one made it clear that you see them with nothing but contempt and judgement. You were using that lovely language of Christian-ese to make a judgement on them. You have no clue as to whether or not they are Christian. You assume they are not. It is quite possible they are closer to living a Christian life than you are. If you want to judge/condemn them, at least have the integrity not to involve Christ in it. Because you are a sinner right along with them. And you are in need of "finding Jesus" just as much as they are.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:40:25 PM by Quinault » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2013, 07:44:01 PM »

-c
I hope they find Jesus.

Is Jesus lost? Huh

You don't really hope they "find Jesus."
Yes, I really do, Professor Xavier.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2013, 07:46:11 PM »

-c
I hope they find Jesus.

Is Jesus lost? Huh

You don't really hope they "find Jesus." Your posts following that one made it clear that you see them with nothing but contempt and judgement. You were using that lovely language of Christian-ese to make a judgement on them. You have no clue as to whether or not they are Christian. You assume they are not. It is quite possible they are closer to living a Christian life than you are. If you want to judge/condemn them, at least have the integrity not to involve Christ in it. Because you are a sinner right along with them. And you are in need of "finding Jesus" just as much as they are.
What is laughable is you doing to me what you feel I was doing to them.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:00:22 PM by Quinault » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »

Cute cartoon, but it doesn't really apply to the thread.  Well, unless you want to make a point of how hypocritical the proponents to normalize homosexuality are.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:01:45 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »

Nope

My comment was in response to the one before yours, sorry

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »

Nope

My comment was in response to the one before yours, sorry
No worries. Smiley
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #208 on: August 01, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »

-c
I hope they find Jesus.

Is Jesus lost? Huh

+1

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #209 on: August 01, 2013, 10:16:56 PM »

Quinault has given the longer expanded sentiment behind Matthew 7:5

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

I think we -all- need to be careful about pointing out the sins of others, even ones we believe are such obvious sins.  This is my personal opinion, but to me, the louder and harder that we continue to do such things, the smaller and smaller the beam in our own eye seems to us.

Our righteous indignation over the sins of others, makes us start ignoring our own, because 'this can't possibly be as bad as THAT', and we stop trying to repent.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

I think we -all- need to be careful about pointing out the sins of others, even ones we believe are such obvious sins.  This is my personal opinion, but to me, the louder and harder that we continue to do such things, the smaller and smaller the beam in our own eye seems to us.

Our righteous indignation over the sins of others, makes us start ignoring our own, because 'this can't possibly be as bad as THAT', and we stop trying to repent.

Would you say the same thing if someone condemned a sin?

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »

Would you say the same thing if someone condemned a sin?

if we were discussing it without pictures and because someone ASKED the question of 'is this a sin?' 

if that were the scenario here, then no, I would not. 

Discussing that lying is a sin....is a drastically different prospect than showing a picture of someone, saying they are a liar and then trying to re-abstract the discussion away from that person.

By the very nature of having -shown- people precisely WHO you mean when you continue to discuss how much lying is a dreadful sin, you are judging the person, not the sin.

And since I myself am a sinner, I have absolutely no right to go around calling other humans sinners.  My particular sins are between me, God and my Priest, just as yours are....

I do not feel that this changes just because the other party is not Orthodox.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2013, 10:42:45 PM »

But sex is not. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »

-c
I hope they find Jesus.

Is Jesus lost? Huh

+1
You plus one a hypocritical statement?
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2013, 12:09:54 AM »

There is nothing inconsistent with an Orthodox view of salvation in my post. You are Orthodox, right? No one is "saved." We are being saved. You know what theosis is, right? You have heard of the Jesus prayer?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:28:30 AM by Quinault » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »

There is nothing inconsistent with an Orthodox view of salvation in my post. You are Orthodox, right? No one is "saved." We are being saved. You know what theosis is, right? You have heard of the Jesus prayer?
Are you sure you are in the right thread talking to the right person, because you are in your own conversation.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »

Cute cartoon, but it doesn't really apply to the thread.  Well, unless you want to make a point of how hypocritical the proponents to normalize homosexuality are.
And this is where we agree, Kerdy. I don't like to tolerate another's culture either. I don't think the gays should be asking the heteros to be more tolerant of them, there needs to be real struggle to get over that inequality and to be emancipated from it.

If you have great argument on how the homosexuals are destroying the World, then you should have a good reason to risk your life in protecting it, no?

I'd rather be slaughtered for my level of "intolerance" than wind up in a situation where I have to be tolerant of cultures I despise.

That's just me though.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »

-c
I hope they find Jesus.

Is Jesus lost? Huh

I don't know Quinault. I'm tired of hearing the above from Christians. Did God not judge/condemn the sodomites and whatever perversions man did in the OT? Are we not called to be like God?

To be frank I don't see how Christians can be accepting "tolerating" of this.

If you care about what I think, I think the transgender couple never got their sexual needs met as children. They are confused teens. What did Freud say about polymorphous perversion? And I thought castration was sort of repressed.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »

Err what? I can recognize the sins of others just as well as my own. But people on here only recognize certain sins and ignore others.

I'd rather point out stuff that actually causes sin, which is worse than the sin itself IMO. You'd think if corporate greed causes a multitude of sins, which it does, we'd try to put an end to that. With Global Capitalism further gentrifying poor areas, you will have to sin in order to survive. I'd rather tackle the former so the later doesn't happen.

Ain't nobody rationalizing their sins in comparison to someone else, so that can't be a criticism against Kerdy.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »

Discussing that lying is a sin....is a drastically different prospect than showing a picture of someone, saying they are a liar and then trying to re-abstract the discussion away from that person.

By the very nature of having -shown- people precisely WHO you mean when you continue to discuss how much lying is a dreadful sin, you are judging the person, not the sin.

And since I myself am a sinner, I have absolutely no right to go around calling other humans sinners.  My particular sins are between me, God and my Priest, just as yours are....

I do not feel that this changes just because the other party is not Orthodox.
Pure ideology.

You think you can be insular from the rest of the population by only confessing your own sins to God and your priest, but you are very much involving the other "sinners" and have already judged them. You can't exist in this realm of only believing your sins are your own and not including everyone else in that. You've already made a judgement on them with "no" judgement at all.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »

But sex is not. Smiley
If anything, the woman is a semicolon in our society.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2013, 12:37:57 AM »

And this is where we agree, Kerdy. I don't like to tolerate another's culture either. I don't think the gays should be asking the heteros to be more tolerant of them, there needs to be real struggle to get over that inequality and to be emancipated from it.

If you have great argument on how the homosexuals are destroying the World, then you should have a good reason to risk your life in protecting it, no?

I'd rather be slaughtered for my level of "intolerance" than wind up in a situation where I have to be tolerant of cultures I despise.

That's just me though.
What you just posted also has nothing to do with anything I stated.  Over react much?
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2013, 12:41:24 AM »

Here is how this thread fell apart within the last few posts.

"Homosexual acts is normal and it's normal to destroy your body to be someone else."

"I disagree."

"Why do you hate and want to kill babies?"

"What???"

"Hater!"
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:42:17 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »

-c
I hope they find Jesus.

Is Jesus lost? Huh

I don't know Quinault. I'm tired of hearing the above from Christians. Did God not judge/condemn the sodomites and whatever perversions man did in the OT? Are we not called to be like God?

To be frank I don't see how Christians can be accepting "tolerating" of this.

If you care about what I think, I think the transgender couple never got their sexual needs met as children. They are confused teens. What did Freud say about polymorphous perversion? And I thought castration was sort of repressed.

Not exactly my point. My point is that saying you hope someone "finds Jesus," then going on to rake them over the coals is simply awful. I don't care if people judge necessarily. That is somewhat normal/natural. Just don't wrap it up in Christian-ese.

"That situation really grieves my spirit"

"You really need to pray for...because I heard that...."

"Oh my! I hope they can find Jesus..."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:44:08 AM by Quinault » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2013, 12:52:32 AM »

Does that statement "I hope they find Jesus" make any sense to anyone not familiar with both the English language and Protestantism? Because in the context of his other posts in this thread, it looks like an accusation rather than a genuine hope/prayer to me, and I speak English and grew up Protestant.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: