OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:44:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transgender teen couple?  (Read 11998 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2013, 03:09:27 PM »

You know what I wish for, more than anything at all?

Non existence

I don't care whether I'm a man or a woman or a monkey or a dang parrot for crying out loud. I'd just rather not exist. God creates us and throws us smack dab in the middle of this senseless, chaotic world like it's some sort of game, and leaves us there with no guidance or aid at all, with the vague options of either a) follow me and do what I say, or b) you'll end up in the furnace. Well what if I just don't want to play the game at all? I never asked to be here. And the fact that the Church condemns suicide so strictly only confirms this grim reality; that with God there is no escape. Even if you kill yourself I'm still going to be there to torment you.
Almost every single person that I have ever run into that wishes they didn't exist has been a teenager.  In fact, I was the same way when I was a teen.  The issue is not so much the problem of existence as it is the problem that a teen is looking into a very scary future that he/she doesn't know how to deal with and it overwhelms them.  They don't have the experience to know that they will be able to make it in the world, but they are too proud to admit that they can't handle it.  I know it sucks at age 17, but in 10 years, you will look back and think: gee, I've come a long way and I've got a long way to go.  It is your emotions that are tormenting you so much, not your circumstance.  Learning how to deal with them and self regulate your emotions will serve you well as you age and mature.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »

Most people who complain about how horrible the world is have never really had it hard.  I don't care that you grew up in the ghetto.  My grandma grew up listening to British bombers blasting crap all night, then seeing Russian dive bombers hitting a ship full of wounded men, and listening to them scream as it went down.  I never hear her bitch about life and I never hear her gripe about God not stopping people from doing evil things that she saw with her very eyes.

When life really does suck, people always seem to either focus on the good or cut the talk and grab the Glock.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »

Why is that so difficult?

Because it's a paradox no matter how I look at it.

How do I "love" God, "develop a relationship" with Him or show "kindness" and "respect" to Him if He won't communicate with me and I have no assurance that He is here? He just seems like a deadbeat father.

If, however, God is with us, what does it matter? He doesn't do anything about the evil in the world and just stands idly by, allowing the world to burn. This makes Him even harder to worship because it makes me not like Him.

It's called free will.

People will always find something to complain about.

Teenagers are especially good at it. Roll Eyes

That's ageism!

Btw: old people are good at complaining too.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:44:07 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »

Why is that so difficult?

Because it's a paradox no matter how I look at it.

How do I "love" God, "develop a relationship" with Him or show "kindness" and "respect" to Him if He won't communicate with me and I have no assurance that He is here? He just seems like a deadbeat father.

If, however, God is with us, what does it matter? He doesn't do anything about the evil in the world and just stands idly by, allowing the world to burn. This makes Him even harder to worship because it makes me not like Him.

It's called free will.

People will always find something to complain about.

Teenagers are especially good at it. Roll Eyes

That's ageism!

Btw: old people are good at complaining too.

Ageism, smageism, smurfism!

I didn't say they weren't.  They are.  You should meet my father-in-law.  Well...maybe not.  Only at your peril.  But teenagers are especially good at it.  Except, of course, Dutch teenagers Wink.

EDIT:  American teenagers probably are world champs at complaining.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:53:22 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »

Most people who complain about how horrible the world is have never really had it hard.  I don't care that you grew up in the ghetto.  My grandma grew up listening to British bombers blasting crap all night, then seeing Russian dive bombers hitting a ship full of wounded men, and listening to them scream as it went down.  I never hear her bitch about life and I never hear her gripe about God not stopping people from doing evil things that she saw with her very eyes.

When life really does suck, people always seem to either focus on the good or cut the talk and grab the Glock.

Well said.

My mom, too.  Lived through all kinds of horrors as a child, had a difficult life and marriage, suffers from illness in old age....and not a peep of complaining.  Nada. 

Prays and glorifies God at all times, for all things.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »

Reminds me of a pic I saw the other day...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »

Reminds me of a pic I saw the other day...

+100

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »

+1000

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »

Non existence

I don't care whether I'm a man or a woman or a monkey or a dang parrot for crying out loud. I'd just rather not exist. God creates us and throws us smack dab in the middle of this senseless, chaotic world like it's some sort of game, and leaves us there with no guidance or aid at all, with the vague options of either a) follow me and do what I say, or b) you'll end up in the furnace. Well what if I just don't want to play the game at all? I never asked to be here. And the fact that the Church condemns suicide so strictly only confirms this grim reality; that with God there is no escape. Even if you kill yourself I'm still going to be there to torment you.
Almost every single person that I have ever run into that wishes they didn't exist has been a teenager.  In fact, I was the same way when I was a teen.  The issue is not so much the problem of existence as it is the problem that a teen is looking into a very scary future that he/she doesn't know how to deal with and it overwhelms them.  They don't have the experience to know that they will be able to make it in the world, but they are too proud to admit that they can't handle it.  I know it sucks at age 17, but in 10 years, you will look back and think: gee, I've come a long way and I've got a long way to go.  It is your emotions that are tormenting you so much, not your circumstance.  Learning how to deal with them and self regulate your emotions will serve you well as you age and mature.

Reminds me of the old joke: A guy (probably an American Hispanic teenager Grin Grin) was bitching and moaning about his lot in his short life.  A friendly and wise (Orthodox) priest came along, listened quite carefully and attentively to him for a long period of time.  Then, when the complainer had finally run out of things to complain about, the friendly and wise priest offered this sage advice: "Cheer up!  Things could always be worse."  So, he cheered up and sure enough, things got worse! laugh laugh laugh laugh

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »

Non existence

Reminds me of the old joke: A guy (probably an American Hispanic teenager Grin Grin) was bitching and moaning about his lot in his short life.  A friendly and wise (Orthodox) priest came along, listened quite carefully and attentively to him for a long period of time.  Then, when the complainer had finally run out of things to complain about, the friendly and wise priest offered this sage advice: "Cheer up!  Things could always be worse."  So, he cheered up and sure enough, things got worse! laugh laugh laugh laugh
He probably ended up biting his tongue and had no friends that symathized with him properly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:14:24 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »

Non existence

Reminds me of the old joke: A guy (probably an American Hispanic teenager Grin Grin) was bitching and moaning about his lot in his short life.  A friendly and wise (Orthodox) priest came along, listened quite carefully and attentively to him for a long period of time.  Then, when the complainer had finally run out of things to complain about, the friendly and wise priest offered this sage advice: "Cheer up!  Things could always be worse."  So, he cheered up and sure enough, things got worse! laugh laugh laugh laugh
He probably ended up biting his tongue and had no friends that symathized with him properly.
ROTFL!!!!!!
 laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

How did you know??
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:20:08 PM by J Michael » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »

Video about shoes - worth the 3 minutes to watch it.  Packs quite a punch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofFHeP-9zM

—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »

Video about shoes - worth the 3 minutes to watch it.  Packs quite a punch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofFHeP-9zM

Can't  Sad.  Youtube blocked  Sad Sad.  Can we have pity party for ME now??  PLEASE!!!!

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »

Watch it when you get home.

What about Facebook?  Blocked?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=177898039056283&set=vb.306430396123877&type=2&theater

—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »

I rarely use the computer at home.  A little bit on weekends.  I'll try to remember.  But...woe is me, oh woe, woe, woe is me, I'm old and my memory sucks big time Grin Grin Grin.

Facebook?  Books have faces??  Don't do Facebook, twitter, iphone, ipad, youphone, theyphone, ain't got no black or blue or dingle berry device either.  I'd probably be using a 286 computer if mine still worked  Cheesy.

EDIT:  Yup.  Facebook's blocked.  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:33:55 PM by J Michael » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »

I'd probably be using a 286 computer if mine still worked  Cheesy.

I heard they're coming out with these circular disc things pretty soon and we'll be able to ditch the 5 1/4s...   it's gonna be so awesome!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »

I'd probably be using a 286 computer if mine still worked  Cheesy.

I heard they're coming out with these circular disc things pretty soon and we'll be able to ditch the 5 1/4s...   it's gonna be so awesome!

<<crawls further under his rock, grimacing>>

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »

"Cheer up!  Things could always be worse."  So, he cheered up and sure enough, things got worse! laugh laugh laugh laugh

Cheer up Brian.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:01:06 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

labuntur anni"
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2013, 05:07:44 PM »

"Cheer up!  Things could always be worse."  So, he cheered up and sure enough, things got worse! laugh laugh laugh laugh

Cheer up Brian.

Things are never so bad that they can't go worse. So beware of famous last words.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2013, 05:12:07 PM »

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »

Okay, but only if we can eat them.  The FISH, I mean! Grin  (Trouble with fishing, around here anyway, is that you might be itching to go, but really *are* itching all over by the time you get back Cool Cool.)

Of course.  I'm not the kind to catch and release.  If you aren't going to eat it, why bother catching it?

Mosquitoes are one reason I haven't gone this year.  It's been a very wet summer and they're out in force!

Have you ever heard of BEST YET (mosquitoes and fleas) or Tickshield (stronger solution for ticks and mosquitoes in the water sheds and wooded areas) at www.cedarcide.com or Badger Balm Anti-Bug Balm (www.badgerbalm.com)? They work.

They are great pest deterrents.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »

...like something they really are not in the misguided hope they will be that something.  It does not make them what they want to be.

Isn't that deification--what the entire Christian life is about? We try to act like gods and pretend we're Divine in hopes we'll one day be like God even though most of us will end up in the furnace?
Nope
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »

I wish them all well in life.

I don't think you can repress transsexualism without going insane, while a homosexual can be celibate just as easily as a heterosexual.

What's to be repressed? Transsexualism is not an orientation in itself; there are homosexual transsexuals and (belief it or not) heterosexual transsexuals. I think you are confusing "gender" for sex; the two are not the same thing.
They aren't the same any longer because people muddy the waters.  They used to be the same.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2013, 05:25:17 PM »

I don't think you can repress transsexualism without going insane, while a homosexual can be celibate just as easily as a heterosexual.

What's to be repressed? Transsexualism is not an orientation in itself; there are homosexual transsexuals and (belief it or not) heterosexual transsexuals. I think you are confusing "gender" for sex; the two are not the same thing.
They aren't the same any longer because people muddy the waters.  They used to be the same.

They aren't the same any longer because we no longer live in a single society without any contact with others, differently-ruled ones. The separation of biological and social characteristics was a necessary one.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »

You can be effeminate, but you're still a man. Your gender doesn't change.

labuntur anni"
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2013, 05:26:40 PM »

They aren't the same any longer because we no longer live in a single society without any contact with others, differently-ruled ones. The separation of biological and social characteristics was a necessary one.
Muddy waters...
Aedificare

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe

« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2013, 05:27:09 PM »

They aren't the same any longer because people muddy the waters.  They used to be the same.

I don't think that's fair at all. Transsexalism is completely different from anything with sexual orientation.
After Hormone Therapy the person looses all lobido, it has nothing to do with sex. They actually lose all their desire for it. To gain their libido back they have to lower their female hormone intake temporarily which isn't something that most would even consider.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:28:43 PM by Aedificare » Logged
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2013, 05:27:49 PM »

Other way around, actually. Your sex remains unchanged, but your gender identity shifts.

http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »

No, they aren't the same any longer because we no longer confuse biology and culture. If I wear a dress, does that make me a woman? No. If a little boy plays with Barbies, does that make him a girl? No. Does it make him homosexual? No. People will be homosexual or heterosexual either way, but their cultural preferences like what they like to wear or play with doesn't really make a difference.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »

You can be post op, wear a dress, take estrogen injections and walk in high heels and you're still a man.  Your gender didnt change.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »

Other way around, actually. Your sex remains unchanged, but your gender identity shifts.

http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/
Muddy waters...
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2013, 05:29:04 PM »

You can be post op, wear a dress, take estrogen injections and walk in high heels and you're still a man.  Your gender didnt change.

Your gender changed because gender is subjective and cultural, but your sex is still the same.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2013, 05:30:19 PM »

No, they aren't the same any longer because we no longer confuse biology and culture.
Corrected.

Muddy waters...
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »

Your gender changed because gender is subjective and cultural, but your sex is still the same.
Sorry, gender didn't change. The only change is the way people now define it.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »

Your sex may or may not have changed, depending on what the chromosome combination was before. If you live as a woman, the gender has definitely changed.

Aedificare

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe

« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »

Someone had their heart broken by a 'biological male'   Roll Eyes
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »

Your sex may or may not have changed, depending on what the chromosome combination was before. If you live as a woman, the gender has definitely changed.

gen·der  (jndr)
n.
1. Grammar
a. A grammatical category used in the classification of nouns, pronouns, adjectives, and, in some languages, verbs that may be arbitrary or based on characteristics such as sex or animacy and that determines agreement with or selection of modifiers, referents, or grammatical forms.

I blame it all on the pronouns.  Wink

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »

That's nonsense and you know it.

labuntur anni"
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »

gen·der  (jndr)
n.
1. Grammar
a. A grammatical category used in the classification of nouns, pronouns, adjectives, and, in some languages, verbs that may be arbitrary or based on characteristics such as sex or animacy and that determines agreement with or selection of modifiers, referents, or grammatical forms.

We know English speakers have a world of trouble separating physical and grammatical gender. We'll go easy on you.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »

gen·der  (jndr)
n.
1. Grammar

We know English speakers have a world of trouble separating physical and grammatical gender. We'll go easy on you.
Cheesy

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2013, 05:55:47 PM »

Her restraint in not blaming it on you being an American, and thus not knowing proper English to begin with, is commendable!

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2013, 05:58:32 PM »

Her restraint in not blaming it on you being an American, and thus not knowing proper English to begin with, is commendable!
I refused to be confined by grammatical gender.  From now I all gender specific words shall be replaced with the word "twig"

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2013, 06:21:16 PM »

I refused to be confined by grammatical gender.  From now I all gender specific words shall be replaced with the word "twig"

This is funny, whether you meant it to be a subtle joke associated with the musician Twiggy or not  Cool

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

What curls do on a bad hair day!

« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »

That's nonsense and you know it.

Actually...its not nonsense....some people wouldn't get sex even if they changed gender.  Wink

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »

The definition certainly has changed.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: