Author Topic: A thread for ignorant Europeans  (Read 33876 times)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
Re: A thread for ignorant Europeans
« Reply #405 on: October 07, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »
Now they say sassafras causes cancer

Is there anything that doesn't cause cancer. There's probably some research that says drinking plain water causes cancer
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #406 on: October 07, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »

Is there anything that doesn't cause cancer. There's probably some research that says drinking plain water causes cancer

Pretty much.  I've heard it said that Amerindians are adapted to tobacco use and don't get cancer from it like Europeans do.

Similarly, Amerindians don't deal with sugar and alcohol well but Europeans can tolerate it better.
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #407 on: October 07, 2017, 02:00:48 PM »

Pretty much.  I've heard it said that Amerindians are adapted to tobacco use and don't get cancer from it like Europeans do.

That would be interesting if it was true. Being a silly White man I don't know anything about Indians but I thought tobacco use for Amerindians was kind of ritualistic and reserved for special occasions as opposed to everyday constant smoking people nowadays do. If people would smoke only on special occasions and would smoke only natural non-cultivated milder tobacco nobody would get cancer.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #408 on: October 07, 2017, 05:21:28 PM »
I have no idea what root beer is.
Me neither, but it tastes really good.

Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
Matthew 21:31
???
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #409 on: October 28, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
Can someone give an ignorant American a brief history and 'why' behind what's going on in Catalonia?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #410 on: October 28, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
Can someone give an ignorant American a brief history and 'why' behind what's going on in Catalonia?

I don't know anything about Spain but for an ignorant Finn having an own language, stronger economic standing compared to neighbouring regions and historically having turmulous relationship with Spain does sound like a good ground for a separatist movement.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #411 on: October 28, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
Catalans are not Spanish.  That's it in a nutshell.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #412 on: October 28, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
Spain is a rump empire. If Castillans hadn't eventually tried to impose itself over other identities, maybe the minorities might see Spain as supra-national rather than essentially Castillan.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #413 on: October 28, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »

Spain is kind of a hodge-podge country.  Maybe to make a loose analogy to those in the English world, we wouldn't be to shocked if Quebec left Canada or  if other places on the British Isles left the UK.  I think Catalonia may have even more independence than the countries I just mentioned, so that makes any decisions it doesn't like by the Spanish government even more exacerbating.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:40:49 PM by William T »

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #414 on: November 01, 2017, 02:42:59 AM »
Not to mention that in the Catalonian living memory (up to Franco's death) speaking and teaching Spanish was mandatory and merely speaking Catalonian could land someone in jail.  So Catalonians are used to looking with suspicion and rancor at Madrid. 
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #415 on: November 14, 2017, 01:41:43 AM »
At about what age do people usually graduate high school in Europe, and how long does it generally take to get the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelors degree?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:42:47 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #416 on: November 20, 2017, 03:30:13 AM »
Why do you keep using checks? In Finland nobody uses them anymore and there are a lot more convenient ways to transfer money.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #417 on: November 20, 2017, 03:45:22 AM »
Why do you keep using checks? In Finland nobody uses them anymore and there are a lot more convenient ways to transfer money.

Americans don't. I mean, technically you still can in some places (seems like not as many as you'd think, though), but I think the general sense is that you're being gauche if you do. The only place I really see people use checks nowadays is when they pay bills via snail mail.

It's funny, when I was a kid (mid to late 90s), there was this restaurant in my town that I loved but my parents never really wanted to take me to because... they didn't take checks. Thus Ouroboros devours its own tail...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:46:41 AM by Volnutt »
On an extended hiatus from this site. Please pray for me and my family.

I'm sorry to any that my posts might offend.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #418 on: November 20, 2017, 03:51:27 AM »
Yeah, other than rent I rarely need some kind of paper payment (cash, check, money order).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #419 on: November 20, 2017, 04:13:10 AM »
Yeah, other than rent I rarely need some kind of paper payment (cash, check, money order).

My family and I pay cash a lot for small things, but it is getting rarer, yep.
On an extended hiatus from this site. Please pray for me and my family.

I'm sorry to any that my posts might offend.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #420 on: November 20, 2017, 04:42:12 AM »

Sorry to be nosy but how do pay your rent?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:43:19 AM by Alpo »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #421 on: November 20, 2017, 04:44:13 AM »

Where did you get that idea?  Checks aren't used that often

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #422 on: November 20, 2017, 04:46:06 AM »

Sorry to be nosy but how do pay your rent?

Money orders from my bank (haven't had checks in probably a decade now).

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #423 on: November 20, 2017, 06:15:21 AM »

I read a newspaper article about some new American real-time money transfer system called The Clearing House and the article mentioned checks too. It felt a bit outlandish as I've never seen a check or heard of anyone using them in my entire life.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #424 on: November 20, 2017, 06:20:19 AM »

I read a newspaper article about some new American real-time money transfer system called The Clearing House and the article mentioned checks too. It felt a bit outlandish as I've never seen a check or heard of anyone using them in my entire life.

Oh wow,  that may be unique.  Even in the mid 2000's checks were normative to a degree.   Checks aren't as obscure as you mention them, even today.   I'll still write about three checks a year.   Often times they are given as money gifts,  wedding presents,  rent pay, and a few other things.   They are very seldom, if at all used in stores or online orders anymore.

I guess the question is,  what is the European substitute in say the year 1999?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:21:23 AM by William T »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #425 on: November 20, 2017, 06:40:51 AM »
It felt a bit outlandish as I've never seen a check or heard of anyone using them in my entire life.

In the 10 years I've been living in Britain, I've seen cheques go from being everywhere (and everyone with a bank account being issued a chequebook on demand) to pretty much all shops putting up notices that they no longer accept them. The recession hasn't been kind to the system. If something needs to be paid by snail mail, that's what bank or postal orders are for now, although the commission on top is ridiculous. Recurrent bills are all paid by direct debit, or at the post office, if one insists on cash. Only my mother-in-law still uses cheques to send us birthday money, and I wish she'd stop because they're a pain. ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:41:32 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #426 on: November 20, 2017, 06:52:05 AM »

Oh wow,  that may be unique.  Even in the mid 2000's checks were normative to a degree.   Checks aren't as obscure as you mention them, even today.   I'll still write about three checks a year.   Often times they are given as money gifts,  wedding presents,  rent pay, and a few other things.   They are very seldom, if at all used in stores or online orders anymore.

I guess the question is,  what is the European substitute in say the year 1999?

I was born in late eighties and I guess in my small town working class bubble people went to bank to pay their bills in person. AFAIK gifts were given in cash. From what I remember at the early 2000's internet started to become normative and everyone started to pay everything through netbanks.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #427 on: November 21, 2017, 12:16:22 AM »
Why do you keep using checks?
They seem to be used only for minor payments, usually by mail, or for major payments, like rent or a down payment on a durable good.  Almost everything in between is paid by plastic.  I myself loath both, preferring to pay with my mobile phone.

However, cash seems to be much more widely used in much of Europe than stateside.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #428 on: November 21, 2017, 02:26:07 AM »
However, cash seems to be much more widely used in much of Europe than stateside.

It really varies. AFAIK the norther you go the less cash is used. Finns tend to prefer cards.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #429 on: December 23, 2017, 04:07:06 PM »
What Americans eat on Christmas?

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #430 on: December 23, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
Whatever  they cooked . But seriously it's a big and heterogeneous country so it varies widely .
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #431 on: December 23, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »

It does vary a lot. In my experience it tends to be very similar to Thanksgiving.

Also, you want to say, “What DO Americans eat on Christmas”.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:39:38 PM by Iconodule »
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #432 on: December 23, 2017, 08:48:47 PM »

Usually Christmas dinners involve lots of family members or guests, like Thanksgiving Day. Grocery stores tend to have loss-leaders (below or at their cost) to lead customers into there store with the expectation that the customers will not go from store to store to purchase everything they need (which is the case, since this has been going on since I was a child). There is usually a $10-$25 minimum purchase requirement to get the low price on meats, but not other items that are decreased to draw customers into the store.

At least some/most people, based on their limited budget, determine their Christmas dinners based on these meat item loss leaders.

So this is what people are eating for Christmas on the US West Coast:
Hormel cure 81 spiral-sliced ham (bone-in) - $1.39/lb. (most stores), generic $1.19 at Aldi's
Farmer John Full half ham (bone-in) - $0.57/lb
Pork shoulder, picnic roast, or half leg - $0.67/lb. (for Tamales usually at this time of year).
Turkey = $0.47/lb (at this point you cannot get a turkey that is not pre-basted with 10% broth)
Bone-in USDA Choice Ribeye beef roast -$4.77/lb. Choice is one tier below (less marbling) Prime beef which is only sold in high-end restaurants.

Other items for dinner include potatoes ($0.99/10lb), brussel sprouts $0.69/lb, string beans $0.69/lb, pineapple ($0.99/each), etc.

I thought your answers did not reflect what determines dinners for most Americanos.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #433 on: December 23, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »

turkey, duck, ham, chicken, pizza, Chinese food, hot dogs, pork chops

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #434 on: December 23, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »

Just me & my parents growing up.  Ham was typically the meat.  Then yes, similar sides to Thanksgiving: cranberry something, corn casserole, green beans, a potato dish of some sort, rolls, jello salad, a relish tray (the last three were pretty standard at holiday meals).  Little has changed except the day we celebrate (it was today, shh don't tell anyone).   :D  Pork loin this year, not ham.  Sweet potato pie for dessert.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #435 on: December 24, 2017, 01:37:34 AM »
Mexicans

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #436 on: December 24, 2017, 02:05:08 AM »

Also, you want to say, “What DO Americans eat on Christmas”.

Thanks. I thought of that but then it started to like hyper-correct.

Whatever  they cooked . But seriously it's a big and heterogeneous country so it varies widely .

Obviously but I was assuming that there still is something that could be considered traditional Christmas dishes for more or less most people.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #437 on: December 24, 2017, 02:12:26 AM »
There are often traditions within families, but nothing nation-wide as with turkey on Thanksgiving or grilled food on Independence Day (though even with those there is significant variation).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 02:13:22 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #438 on: December 24, 2017, 02:47:37 AM »
There are often traditions within families, but nothing nation-wide as with turkey on Thanksgiving or grilled food on Independence Day (though even with those there is significant variation).

Interesting. I wonder how it endedd up that way.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #439 on: December 24, 2017, 06:15:16 AM »
I have no idea. Regarding Christmas though, apparently this family makes 500 ravioli for dinner  :laugh:

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #440 on: December 24, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »

Interesting. I wonder how it endedd up that way.

Well Christmas predates America by quite a lot.  ;)  This isn't the case with Thanksgiving or Independence Day celebrations.  So there's a lot more to draw on to begin with, and then throw in the fact that we apparently just do whatever we want anyway...  :D  But I'm curious if there's a practical reason behind the pig theme.  Maybe it's all that was left to feed a crowd after everyone had killed all the turkeys the month before?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:32:09 AM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #441 on: December 24, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
...  But I'm curious if there's a practical reason behind the pig theme.  Maybe it's all that was left to feed a crowd after everyone had killed all the turkeys the month before?
In the case of the US perhaps, but Pork is traditionally regarded as Christmas food, here (Greece) too. From what I was able to find, pigs were sacrificed and pork was consumed during the Roman festival of Saturnalia, which was considered an added "Greek" flavour to the feast, so when Christians "Christianized" the festival, continued to eat pork on Christmas perhaps? who knows? 
Lately the eating of Turkey has gained ground, although personally I detest its odor.
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #442 on: December 24, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »
In the case of the US perhaps, but Pork is traditionally regarded as Christmas food, here (Greece) too. From what I was able to find, pigs were sacrificed and pork was consumed during the Roman festival of Saturnalia, which was considered an added "Greek" flavour to the feast, so when Christians "Christianized" the festival, continued to eat pork on Christmas perhaps? who knows?

More a case of a single pig being something even poor people could maintain, that would give a good load of fresh meat in the middle of winter and plenty of leftovers to preserve until spring. In a culture of subsistence farming, where animals were kept for milk or eggs and only slaughtered when too old to produce any more, that would be a downright feast.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~