Author Topic: A thread for ignorant Europeans  (Read 27363 times)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
Re: A thread for ignorant Europeans
« Reply #405 on: October 07, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »
Now they say sassafras causes cancer

Is there anything that doesn't cause cancer. There's probably some research that says drinking plain water causes cancer
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #406 on: October 07, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »

Is there anything that doesn't cause cancer. There's probably some research that says drinking plain water causes cancer

Pretty much.  I've heard it said that Amerindians are adapted to tobacco use and don't get cancer from it like Europeans do.

Similarly, Amerindians don't deal with sugar and alcohol well but Europeans can tolerate it better.
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #407 on: October 07, 2017, 02:00:48 PM »

Pretty much.  I've heard it said that Amerindians are adapted to tobacco use and don't get cancer from it like Europeans do.

That would be interesting if it was true. Being a silly White man I don't know anything about Indians but I thought tobacco use for Amerindians was kind of ritualistic and reserved for special occasions as opposed to everyday constant smoking people nowadays do. If people would smoke only on special occasions and would smoke only natural non-cultivated milder tobacco nobody would get cancer.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #408 on: October 07, 2017, 05:21:28 PM »
I have no idea what root beer is.
Me neither, but it tastes really good.

Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
Matthew 21:31
???
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #409 on: October 28, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
Can someone give an ignorant American a brief history and 'why' behind what's going on in Catalonia?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #410 on: October 28, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
Can someone give an ignorant American a brief history and 'why' behind what's going on in Catalonia?

I don't know anything about Spain but for an ignorant Finn having an own language, stronger economic standing compared to neighbouring regions and historically having turmulous relationship with Spain does sound like a good ground for a separatist movement.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #411 on: October 28, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
Catalans are not Spanish.  That's it in a nutshell.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #412 on: October 28, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
Spain is a rump empire. If Castillans hadn't eventually tried to impose itself over other identities, maybe the minorities might see Spain as supra-national rather than essentially Castillan.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #413 on: October 28, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »

Spain is kind of a hodge-podge country.  Maybe to make a loose analogy to those in the English world, we wouldn't be to shocked if Quebec left Canada or  if other places on the British Isles left the UK.  I think Catalonia may have even more independence than the countries I just mentioned, so that makes any decisions it doesn't like by the Spanish government even more exacerbating.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:40:49 PM by William T »

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #414 on: November 01, 2017, 02:42:59 AM »
Not to mention that in the Catalonian living memory (up to Franco's death) speaking and teaching Spanish was mandatory and merely speaking Catalonian could land someone in jail.  So Catalonians are used to looking with suspicion and rancor at Madrid. 
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #415 on: November 14, 2017, 01:41:43 AM »
At about what age do people usually graduate high school in Europe, and how long does it generally take to get the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelors degree?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:42:47 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #416 on: November 20, 2017, 03:30:13 AM »
Why do you keep using checks? In Finland nobody uses them anymore and there are a lot more convenient ways to transfer money.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #417 on: November 20, 2017, 03:45:22 AM »
Why do you keep using checks? In Finland nobody uses them anymore and there are a lot more convenient ways to transfer money.

Americans don't. I mean, technically you still can in some places (seems like not as many as you'd think, though), but I think the general sense is that you're being gauche if you do. The only place I really see people use checks nowadays is when they pay bills via snail mail.

It's funny, when I was a kid (mid to late 90s), there was this restaurant in my town that I loved but my parents never really wanted to take me to because... they didn't take checks. Thus Ouroboros devours its own tail...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:46:41 AM by Volnutt »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #418 on: November 20, 2017, 03:51:27 AM »
Yeah, other than rent I rarely need some kind of paper payment (cash, check, money order).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #419 on: November 20, 2017, 04:13:10 AM »
Yeah, other than rent I rarely need some kind of paper payment (cash, check, money order).

My family and I pay cash a lot for small things, but it is getting rarer, yep.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #420 on: November 20, 2017, 04:42:12 AM »

Sorry to be nosy but how do pay your rent?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:43:19 AM by Alpo »

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #421 on: November 20, 2017, 04:44:13 AM »

Where did you get that idea?  Checks aren't used that often

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #422 on: November 20, 2017, 04:46:06 AM »

Sorry to be nosy but how do pay your rent?

Money orders from my bank (haven't had checks in probably a decade now).

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #423 on: November 20, 2017, 06:15:21 AM »

I read a newspaper article about some new American real-time money transfer system called The Clearing House and the article mentioned checks too. It felt a bit outlandish as I've never seen a check or heard of anyone using them in my entire life.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #424 on: November 20, 2017, 06:20:19 AM »

I read a newspaper article about some new American real-time money transfer system called The Clearing House and the article mentioned checks too. It felt a bit outlandish as I've never seen a check or heard of anyone using them in my entire life.

Oh wow,  that may be unique.  Even in the mid 2000's checks were normative to a degree.   Checks aren't as obscure as you mention them, even today.   I'll still write about three checks a year.   Often times they are given as money gifts,  wedding presents,  rent pay, and a few other things.   They are very seldom, if at all used in stores or online orders anymore.

I guess the question is,  what is the European substitute in say the year 1999?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:21:23 AM by William T »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #425 on: November 20, 2017, 06:40:51 AM »
It felt a bit outlandish as I've never seen a check or heard of anyone using them in my entire life.

In the 10 years I've been living in Britain, I've seen cheques go from being everywhere (and everyone with a bank account being issued a chequebook on demand) to pretty much all shops putting up notices that they no longer accept them. The recession hasn't been kind to the system. If something needs to be paid by snail mail, that's what bank or postal orders are for now, although the commission on top is ridiculous. Recurrent bills are all paid by direct debit, or at the post office, if one insists on cash. Only my mother-in-law still uses cheques to send us birthday money, and I wish she'd stop because they're a pain. ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:41:32 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #426 on: November 20, 2017, 06:52:05 AM »

Oh wow,  that may be unique.  Even in the mid 2000's checks were normative to a degree.   Checks aren't as obscure as you mention them, even today.   I'll still write about three checks a year.   Often times they are given as money gifts,  wedding presents,  rent pay, and a few other things.   They are very seldom, if at all used in stores or online orders anymore.

I guess the question is,  what is the European substitute in say the year 1999?

I was born in late eighties and I guess in my small town working class bubble people went to bank to pay their bills in person. AFAIK gifts were given in cash. From what I remember at the early 2000's internet started to become normative and everyone started to pay everything through netbanks.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate
« Reply #427 on: November 21, 2017, 12:16:22 AM »
Why do you keep using checks?
They seem to be used only for minor payments, usually by mail, or for major payments, like rent or a down payment on a durable good.  Almost everything in between is paid by plastic.  I myself loath both, preferring to pay with my mobile phone.

However, cash seems to be much more widely used in much of Europe than stateside.
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #428 on: November 21, 2017, 02:26:07 AM »
However, cash seems to be much more widely used in much of Europe than stateside.

It really varies. AFAIK the norther you go the less cash is used. Finns tend to prefer cards.