OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 12:44:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divine Liturgy in Modern Russian Language  (Read 1449 times) Average Rating: 0
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« on: July 27, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »

Is anyone aware of any Orthodox parishes, whether in Russia or abroad, which celebrate the Divine Liturgy in Modern Russian (not Old Slavonic or the Russian recension thereof)?  Is the practice common anywhere?

I would someday like to visit such a church, if it exists, and I am traveling in the vicinity.  Hence my question.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:34:49 AM »

I know there is one in St. Petetrsburg. Probably one in Moscow. Would be surprised if there were more than 4 altogether.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »

I know there is one in St. Petetrsburg. Probably one in Moscow. Would be surprised if there were more than 4 altogether.

Not an unexpected reply, but sad (from the point of view of one who believes that, on most occasions, the vernacular is the way to go).  If you could point out which parishes in St. Petersburg and Moscow those are, I'd be interested to know.  It is more likely, due to the presence of relatives, that we will be in Moscow at some point than St. Petersburg, but one never knows . . . .

Perhaps someone else knows of parishes in the diaspora in America which celebrate in modern Russian.  Of the two Moscow Patriarchate parishes in our immediate vicinity, I believe one (settled by Carpathian immigrants but which declined to go into the OCA) celebrates in English and the other (established by Russian sailors who were stationed in America for a time) celebrates in Old Slavonic.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »

For some reason I thought one of the churches in Athens, Greece served the liturgy in Russian, and had been doing so since the days of the Tsar.

Joseph
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »

Actually, I was told there is only one place when services are in Russian:
http://www.sfi.ru/

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »

Although Patriarch Alexei gave permission for the liturgy to be celebrated in Russian if the local bishop approves, most bishops are still apprehensive about switching to Russian, because the previous group that had services in Russian were the Soviet-sponsored "Living Church". Not exactly the most auspicious group to emulate. Anyhow, the groups that use Russian now are not Soviet-controlled, but have been regarded as suspect (the group around Fr. Georgy Kochetkov) and are liturgically modernist.
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 06:59:41 AM »

Actually, I was told there is only one place when services are in Russian:
http://www.sfi.ru/

Thank you.  If and when I am in Moscow, I will have to stop by.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »

"Is outrage!"

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »

Anyhow, ROCOR uses either Slavonic or the vernacular if serving. ROCOR is significantly conservative in liturgical and theological matters, but there are quite a few people who defend the use of Slavonic in the services in Russia, and there are quite a few pages and websites that teach Slavonic, especially on pravoslavie.ru or azbyka.ru. Even though one of the resolutions of the Council of 1917-1918 was to switch services to Russian, the transition would be eventual, and the Russian Orthodox Church was never able to implement the recommendations of the council because of the Russian Revolution.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »

Anyhow, ROCOR uses either Slavonic or the vernacular if serving. ROCOR is significantly conservative in liturgical and theological matters, but there are quite a few people who defend the use of Slavonic in the services in Russia, and there are quite a few pages and websites that teach Slavonic, especially on pravoslavie.ru or azbyka.ru. Even though one of the resolutions of the Council of 1917-1918 was to switch services to Russian, the transition would be eventual, and the Russian Orthodox Church was never able to implement the recommendations of the council because of the Russian Revolution.
At least the impulses had already produced a Bible in Russian, under the auspices of Met. St. Filoret of Moscow-although it would have done better to stick with the LXX, rather than following the Western Captivity in adopting the Masoretic text.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mildert
Deacon Philip

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »

I know there is one in St. Petersburg. Probably one in Moscow. Would be surprised if there were more than 4 altogether.

Do you know the name and address in St Petersburg?

In XC,

Deacon Philip
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »

I know there is one in St. Petersburg. Probably one in Moscow. Would be surprised if there were more than 4 altogether.

Do you know the name and address in St Petersburg?

It appeared I was probably wrong about St. Petersburg. That school was the only address I got.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »

Is anyone aware of any Orthodox parishes, whether in Russia or abroad, which celebrate the Divine Liturgy in Modern Russian (not Old Slavonic or the Russian recension thereof)?  Is the practice common anywhere?

I would someday like to visit such a church, if it exists, and I am traveling in the vicinity.  Hence my question.

I thought there was a Church of All Saints somewhere in Moscow that was blessed to serve in Russian, but I'm not finding any references to it :-/. Perhaps it is connected with this St. Philaret Institute?

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 09:55:47 AM »

Modern-day, how many average Church-goers understand Slavonic?  Is it taught in schools?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: