OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:13:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious requirement to help lying panhandlers  (Read 7406 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« on: July 23, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »

Are Orthodox Christians religiously required to give money to panhandlers with absurd, made-up stories?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »

Are Orthodox Christians religiously required to give money to panhandlers with absurd, made-up stories?
you are t required to give money to anybody. You see when a state agency is taking them from you in order to fund some social program is doing a double good: the funding of that program but also robs you of that smug fuzzy feeling that charity engenders in every pious soul.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »

I agree with St. Maximos, so far as I understand him, when he said:

"The one who imitates God by giving alms knows no difference between evil and good or just and unjust in regard to the needs of the body, but distributes to all without distinction according to their need even if he prefers the virtuous person over the wicked because of the good intention." - St. Maximos the Confessor, Four Hundred Chapters On Love, 1, 24

The issue for me would be not whether people are honest, or virtuous, or polite, or "deserving" in those kinds of ways, but simply whether they needed the help.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »

"The one who imitates God by giving alms knows no difference between evil and good or just and unjust in regard to the needs of the body, but distributes to all without distinction according to their need even if he prefers the virtuous person over the wicked because of the good intention." - St. Maximos the Confessor, Four Hundred Chapters On Love, 1, 24

The issue for me would be not whether people are honest, or virtuous, or polite, or "deserving" in those kinds of ways, but simply whether they needed the help.

But the lack of a credible story might suggest that they do not need the help.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:22:06 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:26:18 PM »

Yeah, definitely possible. There's a woman who used to stand at the back entrance of Walmart here and ask for money. I later overheard people on the bus talking about her as we passed, saying that she had a house and car and whatnot and absolutely didn't need the money. It's hard to know what her situation was in reality though.   So... yeah, I'm not sure, it's probably tough to tell sometimes...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:26:58 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

St. John Chrysostom says to give to EVERYONE who asks for money without exception in On Wealth and Poverty. That being said, seeing how many vices I already have, I don't want God smiting me for not taking care of those who ask me for money. I give charity to everyone without exception. My father worries me as he never gives money to the homeless and often laughs at them when we drive past them. He may have a big spot in Orthodox Hell reserved for him.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »

What do you mean by credible story?
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »

What do you mean by credible story?

Well the guy I met claimed he was deaf and mute and was the brother of a basketball player that doesn't exist (I know the roster of the team) then he said "Thank you" when I gave him a five.

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »

St. John Chrysostom says to give to EVERYONE who asks for money without exception in On Wealth and Poverty. That being said, seeing how many vices I already have, I don't want God smiting me for not taking care of those who ask me for money. I give charity to everyone without exception. My father worries me as he never gives money to the homeless and often laughs at them when we drive past them. He may have a big spot in Orthodox Hell reserved for him.
You never quit.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »

you are t required to give money to anybody. You see when a state agency is taking them from you in order to fund some social program is doing a double good: the funding of that program but also robs you of that smug fuzzy feeling that charity engenders in every pious soul.

Wow.  That makes a lot of sense.

OP - The smelly bum is probably just going to spend it on booze.  So I usually give the money to them.  I can respect that.

Besides, the last thing I need to have happen is find out on the last day that it was really one of His angels in disguise trying to decide if I should be cast wiener first into the fiery pit or not, and then this end up being the deciding testimony.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »

I don't think there's a requirement to throw away discernment. In America, there are many people with real needs, but few if any of these are panhandlers. Even in other countries, panhandling is something of an industry for some. Here, several homeless people sell a newspaper. They both benefit from the sales, and take part in production to some extent. This seems better--to make an exchange. The paper is a dollar, but you give five, and either way, the person selling earns it all. And the person buying the newspaper gets some good information about the city's homeless community and their needs and problems. Anyone can go downtown with a cup or make a sign.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »

I've had panhandlers had me back what I gave them, telling me it wasn't enough.

There are those who panhandled by the door of McDonalds, but when you brought them a meal complained that they wanted the money (the McDonald's I'm speaking of was a short walk to a liquor store.

Then there is the case we had in Chicago of a burn victim on the subways.  He used to have a pail with a sign that he was raising money for an operation for plastic surgery.  He was, in fact, horribly disfigured by severe burning.

Fame became the undoing of that case: many surgeons and clinics offered to do the surgery for free. It turned out that the victim was being used by his brother (or his cousin, I don't recall exactly), who were using his misfortune to enrich themselves.  Eventually, the press got a hold on the story, and explained the whole scam.  Shortly thereafter, I never saw him again (at the time I constantly was using the subway system).

Of course, augustin's fuzzy smug feelings for statism would solve the problem by making us all poor.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »

I don't think there's a requirement to throw away discernment. In America, there are many people with real needs, but few if any of these are panhandlers. Even in other countries, panhandling is something of an industry for some. Here, several homeless people sell a newspaper. They both benefit from the sales, and take part in production to some extent. This seems better--to make an exchange. The paper is a dollar, but you give five, and either way, the person selling earns it all. And the person buying the newspaper gets some good information about the city's homeless community and their needs and problems. Anyone can go downtown with a cup or make a sign.
I used to regularly buy the "Streetwise" newspaper until I actually read one.  It was full of all those fuzzy smug feelings that augustine shares with us.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »

Meh. I give money to someone who asks, he or she might "misuse" it somehow (I don't consider buying alcohol to be a serious misuse. Proverbs has something to say about giving the poor wine so they may forget their troubles. I don't always carry a bottle of wine on me) or not really need it, but whatever. I give money to the state agency, it WILL misuse it. Render to Ceasar, but if you want the poor to be fed you have to do it yourself.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:47:39 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »

In Pittsburgh they actually put up billboards and signs asking that people not give money to panhandlers but instead donate to the missions and soup kitchens in the city. This is probably the wisest course of action, your helping the poor and not enabling an addiction.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »

I gave a panhandler a twenty once and his response was: "I bet you have a hot woman at  home to ****.  I would be handing money out too if I had that."

I didn't really have a response for that.  I bid him good day.  Undecided

Obscenity removed  -PtA
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:46:18 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »

Meh. I give money to someone who asks, he or she might "misuse" it somehow (I don't consider buying alcohol to be a serious misuse. Proverbs has something to say about giving the poor wine so they may forget their troubles. I don't always carry a bottle of wine on me) or not really need it, but whatever. I give money to the state agency, it WILL misuse it. Render to Ceasar, but if you want the poor to be fed you have to do it yourself.
Shhh!  You are not supposed to let it out that Caesar has no clothes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:47:43 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 10:55:19 PM »

OP - The smelly bum is probably just going to spend it on booze.  So I usually give the money to them.  I can respect that.

Besides, the last thing I need to have happen is find out on the last day that it was really one of His angels in disguise trying to decide if I should be cast wiener first into the fiery pit or not, and then this end up being the deciding testimony.
Sometimes helping a guy with a serious jones is an act of kindness.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 11:10:58 PM »

I used to buy them cigarets or give 'em some beer as I was always carrying some around. once a guy, in uptown, started telling me this bs story that his mom died and he needs money for the train to go to the funeral. i told him, cut the crap, do u want cigarets? he said yes, i bought him a pack and he was happy.  anyways is little on the long run. plus it provides that despicable fuzzy feeling. phew...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 11:17:30 PM »

If you have it, give it.

Don't judge them.

If you are going to pass judgment on them, it is best you not give them anything.

However, poor, dirty, smelly, addicted, etc. they are....they wish they weren't.  They wish they had our problems and our worries, which are negligible compared to theirs.

If you are capable of helping them more than just "feeding" their addiction by giving them a few bucks, do that, too.

Help everyone you see, and even look for those whom you can help.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 12:36:43 AM »

I used to buy them cigarets or give 'em some beer as I was always carrying some around. once a guy, in uptown, started telling me this bs story that his mom died and he needs money for the train to go to the funeral. i told him, cut the crap, do u want cigarets? he said yes, i bought him a pack and he was happy.  anyways is little on the long run. plus it provides that despicable fuzzy feeling. phew...
it's the nicotine.

Cancer cures smoking.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 12:56:50 AM »

I don't like to judge the homeless or the panhandlers. Christ said to give to ALL without asking. St. John Chrysostom said that whenever we question their motives, we put ourselves on the judgment seat. I don't want to have God bring up against me all of the times He gifted me with something good and I used it in an immature way, so I'm definitely not going to harass the poor who ask for money from me.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »

I don't give money to panhandlers unless they play good music.  The last time I gave any money to a panhandler was in Las Vegas in 2010.

I was once broken down on the side of a highway in 100 degree heat.  I didn't expect kindness from strangers; however, 2 SUVs gave me water.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 01:12:09 AM »

In Sunday school the kids assembled little baggies of food to give to those that panhandle. We could put like $5 in the bag to go with the food.

I did a lot of panhandling as a teen. I was given $20 a week by my parents to buy the majority of my own food. I also worked to earn money to buy my own shoes/clothes. If I wanted to buy a new pair of those little cotton mary jane shoes from the asian market, I panhandled for the difference between what I had, and what I needed.

So I do think some panhandlers are genuine. I didn't use the money I panhandled for clothing/food to buy alcohol/drugs. When I was going to use the money for those things, I was quite open and honest about it Wink Although I am aware that is far from the norm.

When we first moved to this area there was this woman always out front of the local drugstore panhandling to get away from an abusive husband. She looked awful; just covered in bruises and one eye was near swollen shut. It turns out that the horrific injuries she appeared to have were a combination of birth marks and makeup. A church that was about a block away kept offering to get her into a shelter for victims of domestic abuse. She kept refusing to go.

A man I knew growing up was a famous panhandler in the area. He was like clockwork at the same places. When he died, we found out that he had hundreds and hundreds of jars of change in in house, and he was indeed quite wealthy. Panhandling was his way of getting attention. He never needed the money, he just liked getting the money.

In the end, we shouldn't assume that people asking for money are lying automatically. But we shouldn't assume they are telling the truth either. Strike the middle ground and be kind. There was a guy with a sign asking for money to buy groceries. Instead of giving him money, I bought him about a week worth of food. He continued panhandling on the corner even after he had groceries for a week. My guess is that groceries weren't what he was looking for. On the other hand, there was a guy that asked for money to buy some food when I was at the gas station. I didn't have money to give, so I gave him the baggie of food. He voraciously ate the food and thanked me profusely. He was indeed very hungry, and that baggie of food was the first meal he had eaten in days. Another man asking me for food near a local fast food eatery stopped asking for money for food when I gave him a meal from the fast food joint.

The test of whether or not someone is genuine is if they stop looking for handouts after they reach their goal. Because when you panhandle with a purpose, you don't just keep asking for more after you have achieved that purpose.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 01:56:08 AM »

For the record; I don't give money to career panhandlers. If it is the same person, at the same corner on a schedule, they aren't panhandling for survival, they are working and punching the clock in a career.

As to homeless people not wanting to be homeless? Many don't want to be homeless, but many do want to be homeless. There is a freedom in homelessness that they don't necessarily want to give up. There are homeless people in my city that have been given apartments that still choose not to live in the apartment most of the year because in the spring/summer/fall they enjoy living on the streets.
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 02:24:16 AM »

Once, while in my 20's, I gave money to a fellow on my block who knocked on our door and asked for it. Not long afterward his wife balled me out for it -he was an alcoholic -I was causing harm not only to the man, she said, but to his whole family.

Since that time I have given food, jars of peanut butter, towels, soap, and the like to homeless people that really needed something.

I never give cash to a panhandler any longer but always ask if there is some other concrete way I can help. Often they flatly refuse anything other than cash. One fellow claiming to want to "feed his family" refused an offer to take him to a store to buy a few-weeks supply of groceries and deliver it to his house after he gathered he couldn't get cash money.

A couple of weeks ago a lady in a Wal-Mart parking lot asked for enough gas money to get home. I asked her how far away she lived -10 miles. I said sure, but do you mind if I look at your gas gauge first? When she put the key in it was already all the way full. "Sorry, I can't help you this time" I said, just before reporting her to security.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:32:27 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 02:30:34 AM »

I agree. And even if their story is complete B.S., they must be needy enough to concoct their tales. Obviously, if you have given to the same person repeatedly and observed them purchasing liquor or drugs with the money, then it is not uncharitable to cease continually giving to them. But I don't like to make assumptions about anyone based on first appearances. And even if they do use my money to get a fix, that fix may actually save their life at that moment. Christ is often disguised in the beggar. If I can give Christ some change, it seems the least I can do.

Selam
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:31:18 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 02:53:13 AM »

Living in America, with all the taxes we pay, federal income, gasoline, state income, county taxes for a public hospital, property taxes, sales taxes, local income taxes, et. al. (we work four months of the year just to pay taxes), there is abundant welfare to assist the basic needs of the beggars on the street.  They can collect disability, food stamps---secure food from the food banks and other private support, Medicaid, sleep in enclosed homeless shelters, and who knows what else.  I seldom succumb to the beggars who are only emboldened when we respond affirmatively to them.  Their needs are well taken care of through numerous government programs, supported by the excessive taxation upon me and the working American populous, and by church and non-profit organization which serve them.  I also contribute to Orthodox Church charitable concerns such as IOCC and FOCUS, and two local Orthodox entities that provide support to the less fortunate, though not substantially.  If it weren't for the exorbitant taxes we pay, I would be more supportive of responding positively to beggars and would be more supportive of charitable concerns.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 03:04:53 AM »

Living in America, with all the taxes we pay, federal income, gasoline, state income, county taxes for a public hospital, property taxes, sales taxes, local income taxes, et. al. (we work four months of the year just to pay taxes), there is abundant welfare to assist the basic needs of the beggars on the street.  They can collect disability, food stamps---secure food from the food banks and other private support, Medicaid, sleep in enclosed homeless shelters, and who knows what else.  I seldom succumb to the beggars who are only emboldened when we respond affirmatively to them.  Their needs are well taken care of through numerous government programs, supported by the excessive taxation upon me and the working American populous, and by church and non-profit organization which serve them.  I also contribute to Orthodox Church charitable concerns such as IOCC and FOCUS, and two local Orthodox entities that provide support to the less fortunate, though not substantially.  If it weren't for the exorbitant taxes we pay, I would be more supportive of responding positively to beggars and would be more supportive of charitable concerns.

But if Christ is in the beggar, then that's all that matters. We won't be judged by our government, by how much we pay in taxes, or by the charitableness of our society. We will only be judged by what we did unto Christ as He appeared to us as a person in need.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »

But if Christ is in the beggar, then that's all that matters. We won't be judged by our government, by how much we pay in taxes, or by the charitableness of our society. We will only be judged by what we did unto Christ as He appeared to us as a person in need.

Selam

You are missing the point.  He cannot give more to charity after he has already been robbed blind to pay for the .govs to inefficiently provide welfare.  I would bet that the Lord gave that guy the Good Samaritan picked up a break.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 09:32:52 AM »

Selam
+1

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »

erm...
we should get to know the begger (british english for that word panhandler that i never saw before).
if you make friends with him/her, you will find out what he/she really needs, whether it is friendship, housing or encouragement to earn a living through other means.
surely giving your time is the best and most useful sacrifice. (and if the begger turns out to be Christ, you may get to wash his feet!)

if the begger is very far from your home and you are not able to stop for long enough to get to know him/her , then buying food for him/her is the best option.

if you are living in a developing country and the begger is thin or wearing torn and dirty clothes, then maybe giving money is right, but i have no personal experience of this situation.
i have been poor, and have been given food from churches reaching out to poor students before. i was always grateful.

disclaimer: make friends with beggers in public, well lit areas!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »

Help does not necessarily translate to giving money. Time is more valuable than money. If you have qualms about giving cash to people of dubious need, go volunteer for a charity that aids those who really are in need.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49:04 PM »

I used to regularly buy the "Streetwise" newspaper until I actually read one.  It was full of all those fuzzy smug feelings that augustine shares with us.

The one here isn't bad. The last one I read had a good article on a support group for homeless people that had nothing to do with the government or people with homes feeling anything whatsoever.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49:49 PM »

In Pittsburgh they actually put up billboards and signs asking that people not give money to panhandlers but instead donate to the missions and soup kitchens in the city. This is probably the wisest course of action, your helping the poor and not enabling an addiction.

Yes indeed.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 08:51:31 PM »

Shhh!  You are not supposed to let it out that Caesar has no clothes.

Then there are those cases when Caesar stops you from feeding the poor. (Actually, the real Caesars never did that, but their American and Soviet wannabes do.)

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »

Or one could put them to work. As St. Paul says, "If one will not work, let him not eat."

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »

First World Problem:  I can't figure out which of the many ways I can help the poor is best.  So I'll just keep my money, look disapprovingly at them and assume they are doing drugs.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »

Deacon, there are many problems with that, that make it pretty far from the wisest course of action.  For one thing, the homeless who tend to need the most help are the same ones who tend to get themselves banned from pretty much every organization that helps the homeless.  And many organizations that help the homeless are quick to ban people from their premises because it improves their statistics, which helps them get grant money, and retain their current grants. 

In fact, I can think of one young woman who is homeless and was banned from all the properties of one organization that has housing (both temporary and permanent) and job placement services, in addition of course to providing food, because while she was staying there she tried to commit suicide.  Now, because they see her as a risk to themselves, she is forever barred from stepping foot on their property.

I also know a young man who was banned for half-a-year from another organization serving homeless youth because he was attacked by another of the youths there, and their policy is that if you are involved in a fight (even if that means you are being brutalized) on their premises, you are banned for 6 months. 

While the idea of donating to organizations that can help people is nice, the people who need the most help are the same people that almost all of the organizations won't deal with.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 11:03:52 PM »

Help does not necessarily translate to giving money. Time is more valuable than money. If you have qualms about giving cash to people of dubious need, go volunteer for a charity that aids those who really are in need.

Spot on!

There are so many ways to help.

One just needs to have the desire to help others.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 11:11:20 PM »

First World Problem:  I can't figure out which of the many ways I can help the poor is best.  So I'll just keep my money, look disapprovingly at them and assume they are doing drugs.

Yep. Most people with such an attitude have never been homeless, addicted, or truly hungry. I imagine that standing outside in the elements day after day, enduring curses and insults as one begs for food or money is probably very hard work.

To quote St. Paul in an effort to exculpate our responsibility to help our neighbor seems blasphemous to me. I find it sad that some professing Christians would probably let someone starve to death as they condemned them for not working. They'd probably condemn Jesus too, since He never had a 9 to 5 job.

Selam

ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 12:15:56 AM »

I haven't met panhandlers who were lying, but if they asked for a few dollars and I had it, I would give them the money. But if I suspect something, I just say that I don't have money on me.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 06:11:57 AM »

it's the nicotine.

Cancer cures smoking.
Hahha fantastic.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 06:11:57 AM »

Or one could put them to work. As St. Paul says, "If one will not work, let him not eat."
Yet that quote needs to be placed in the context of its time. I'm sure St Paul would be horrified by the afflictions poor people face due to global capitalism.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »

I don't hand out money because it's been years since I had any to spare. I support a local charity that maintains shelters; they take £3 a month off my mobile phone credit, assuming I have it. When the local food bank comes to the supermarket, I scrimp and save to get something off their list to give them. But I'm not going to jeopardise my family's survival by giving away money I can't spare. Charity begins at home.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags: alms almsgiving 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: