OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:16:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is love?  (Read 1983 times) Average Rating: 0
krotok

Faith: orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: bulgarian

« on: July 23, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »

Love is a supreme commandment and gift. It is from God and is intended for union with Him. It arrives in our hearts from the mind, through reason. As the Cross of the Lord, it has two dimensions, while remaining unique, teaching every individual to become like God, and all together to each other, regarding on Him.

Its sides (human and divine) are developing completely evenly, without any deviation, through the simultaneous transformation of the mind and upbringing of reason. This process of growth and maturation of the undivided love can be clearly observed alongside of five successive stages that could be appointed as: forces, conditions, actions, ranks and honors, through which, guided by love, our soul gets filled and gains its own original meaning and ultimate purpose, achieving expedient beauty and dignified integrity of its being.

http://krotok.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/on-the-subject-of-personality/
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »

It also means you don't have any points in tennis. Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
krotok

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »

If we look closely you will probably notice that the Decalogue itself is divided at two groups consisting of a five God-loving, thoughtful, cognitive and another five philanthropic, acting and reasonable, but, above all, cordial commandments.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 07:55:03 AM »

Still get stuck on how you separate subjectivity (person-hood) and essence. I prefer to use the word subjectivity instead of person-hood because I find that person-hood can indeed be a little problematic sometimes.

As you may remember, I believe that God is pure subjectivity, that "He is not His essence" so to speak.  I say His essence is unknowable because God does not live according to it. But you say that essence is inconceivable, but then it means that knowledge has boundaries, that human knowledge is limited and not infinite in potential (therefore theosis is not really possible).

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 08:01:23 AM »

And, here's one from my blog: http://romanianorthodoxyinenglish.blogspot.ro/2013/06/love-is-mysterious-in-nature-fr-arsenia.html

"Love, in its nature, occupies the same place as mysteries. It is spiritual and cannot be assimilated to physical and bodily order."

(Love is not really a function of the intellect either, thought it is expressed through it. Love is transcendent.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:02:32 AM by IoanC » Logged

ReturnOrthodoxy

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:40:32 AM »

Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more.

RO

Pre-Passion: Let's eat, Jesus!
Post-Passion: Let's eat Jesus!
krotok

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »

If we look closely you will probably notice that the Decalogue itself is divided at two groups consisting of a five God-loving, thoughtful, cognitive and another five philanthropic, acting and reasonable, but, above all, cordial commandments.

However, their fulfillment is impossible individually or partially, by emphasizing, or muting some of these, but only in complete collusion and harmony, that are established in the consonance of theanthropic love. This is why Our Lord transformed the soul of a man of the New Testament into far more appropriate and more perfect instrument of His aknowledgement and celebration, and figuratively speaking, of a ten-stringed psaltery, He made a two-stringed gusle (kind of a primitive violine) which made ​​it impossible to perform separate and distinct tones, and thereby, every pious art became consonant to a particular salvific expediency.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »

RO

That's what I thought as well when I saw the thread title.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »

RO

I was going to say that love is what comes before marriage and the baby in the baby carriage, but this is much better.  Good on ya. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »

I much prefer this to the overdone, if usually little explored, question, "what is truth?"

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »

Moderna locutio horrenda est!

(Fr. Reginald Foster on having to translate Pope Benedict XVI's encyclical Deus caritas est into Latin.)
krotok

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »

I much prefer this to the overdone, if usually little explored, question, "what is truth?"

Truth is an integral component of love, that along with the goodness constitutes the beauty.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »

RO

Damn.  Beat me to it.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »

Well, besides something to keep Hallmark busy for St. Valentine's Day, birthdays and anniversaries...  Smiley

Seriously though, along with the many great explanations out there, besides just being a feeling or more, I've heard it explained as being a verb i.e. something you do

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 07:19:51 AM »

Truth is an integral component of love, that along with the goodness constitutes the beauty.

A modern philosopher somewhere said: "who needs a heart when a heart can be broken?"  Indeed.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 07:35:58 AM »

http://chirho.me/memes/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/999360_217631791719904_1296022549_n.jpg

Ok I'm trolling.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »

RO

Damn.  Beat me to it.
Lol...same here

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
krotok

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »

However, their fulfillment is impossible individually or partially, by emphasizing, or muting some of these, but only in complete collusion and harmony, that are established in the consonance of theanthropic love. This is why Our Lord transformed the soul of a man of the New Testament into far more appropriate and more perfect instrument of His aknowledgement and celebration, and figuratively speaking, of a ten-stringed psaltery, He made a two-stringed gusle (kind of a primitive violine) which made ​​it impossible to perform separate and distinct tones, and thereby, every pious art became consonant to a particular salvific expediency.

By the adoption into our Lord Jesus Christ, God’s love became dual, not only divine, but also human, remaining quintessential, at the same time has become so accessible and participative, without endangering the freedom, has been handed to us by the grace, being initial, also proved to be fateful, synchronizing in the eternity the potential and capacity of all its fruits.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »

Love means never having to say you're sorry...

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »

No it doesn't!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
krotok

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »

By the adoption into our Lord Jesus Christ, God’s love became dual, not only divine, but also human, remaining quintessential, at the same time has become so accessible and participative, without endangering the freedom, has been handed to us by the grace, being initial, also proved to be fateful, synchronizing in the eternity the potential and capacity of all its fruits.

By its divinity, love has become the occasion for transformation of all desires and lusts, ie, of Eros, in an unstoppable mental force - a wisdom which penetrates to the core and nature of all the events, reaching into a permanently contemplating condition and achieving an unforgettable cognitive activity of the truth about itself and through itself, which is in God, and is God, due to which He reveals to us who we are, to make it easier to fell in love with Him, by the same love with which He loves us, more than Himself!
peacenprayer

Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »

RO

Beat me to it. Well played... well played...

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »

ie. a feeling of human appreciation, thoughtful consideration, etc.
c.warren165
earthbound misfit

Faith: becoming Orthodox
Jurisdiction: visiting OCA

Lord save me

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 09:05:42 PM »

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13&version=NKJV

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...
krotok

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »

By its divinity, love has become the occasion for transformation of all desires and lusts, ie, of Eros, in an unstoppable mental force - a wisdom which penetrates to the core and nature of all the events, reaching into a permanently contemplating condition and achieving an unforgettable cognitive activity of the truth about itself and through itself, which is in God, and is God, due to which He reveals to us who we are, to make it easier to fell in love with Him, by the same love with which He loves us, more than Himself!

On the other hand, the humanity of the commandment of love, arouses our prudence towards steadfastness in the virtues of faith, in order to experience by Him, as the Sweetest one of all, what does really pleases us, and therefore befits, so that to appease ourselves by His grace to become kind and serve each other’s by mercy.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 04:36:54 AM »

Here's another one from my blog. Doesn't really talk about love itself, but rather how it enters into the soul. Since I don't really know Krotok's motivation I can't say if he is trying to describe how love grows through practice and asceticism, as opposed to what it is in itself. Love in itself is ineffable and transcendent; it is a function of the heart.

Just as the body has five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch, the soul also has the same number of five senses: the mind, rationality, understanding feeling, knowing and knowledge. They are gathered in three workings of the soul: the mind, rationality and feeling. Through the mind we receive understandings; through judgment we receive meanings, and through feeling the appearances of knowledge and divine thoughts.
+++
The one whose mind differentiates well the understandings of the thoughts and assumes divine meditations purely, whose rationality seeks meaning for the natural movements of the whole physical creation, distinguishing the rationalities of creatures, and the spiritual feeling receives the science of heavenly wisdom and knowledge, has gone beyond the senses, passing through the illuminations of The Sun of righteousness beyond feeling. He rejoices in delight with the unseen things.

http://romanianorthodoxyinenglish.blogspot.ro/2013/07/the-five-senses-of-soul.html

krotok

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »

On the other hand, the humanity of the commandment of love, arouses our prudence towards steadfastness in the virtues of faith, in order to experience by Him, as the Sweetest one of all, what does really pleases us, and therefore befits, so that to appease ourselves by His grace to become kind and serve each other’s by mercy.

And just as each and every thing that is being bestowed is actually a fruit, and really can be given only  what you naturally have, so it is same with the gift of love in the Orthodox Church, because She herself, as the Theanthropic, ie, as a heaven-earthly offspring of love, is the only seed (of truth) and food (of eternal life) that we as Christians in fact have.
krotok

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »

It is the Church of God that is the only fruit by which love is truly recognizable and the living icon of its kind, through which it acts quite inherently and properly to its unique Wellspring, ie, by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, by which credibly convinces us of itself and reconciliates us with enthusiasm of consecration for joining in a community of the Holy Spirit.
krotok

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »

It is the Church of God that is the only fruit by which love is truly recognizable and the living icon of its kind, through which it acts quite inherently and properly to its unique Wellspring, ie, by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, by which credibly convinces us of itself and reconciliates us with enthusiasm of consecration for joining in a community of the Holy Spirit.

Consequently, love organically constitutes the Church, and therefor, if we are on any level separated from Her, we are missing exactly the one (love), which is the main motive of piety, without which the spiritual life becomes illusive external world to our soul, decomposing into countless existential meanderings, confusingly marked with futile and deleterious spiritual rules, as the guidelines and landmarks of our moral decadence.
krotok

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »

Consequently, love organically constitutes the Church, and therefor, if we are on any level separated from Her, we are missing exactly the one (love), which is the main motive of piety, without which the spiritual life becomes illusive external world to our soul, decomposing into countless existential meanderings, confusingly marked with futile and deleterious spiritual rules, as the guidelines and landmarks of our moral decadence.

The spiritual growth and improvement are not an end unto itself, but are taking place independently of all the rules, in God's providence that is unobtrusively realized through His grace which acts within the Orthodox Church of Christ. All of her children, by the thoroughness of sanctification of their reasonable sentiments, naturally and in accordance with love, are gaining, achieving and manifesting spiritual gifts and the greatest degrees of Christian perfections that She fully possesses.
krotok

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »

Our individuality and uniqueness is personified in the Lord Jesus Christ, by the act of its adjustments to the essence of our foundation, expressed through Him as the Word of God, which is nothing else but God’s love for mankind. Therefore, love is the only source, grace – an actuator, and the Orthodox Church – aim of true spirituality.
krotok

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »

Our individuality and uniqueness is personified in the Lord Jesus Christ, by the act of its adjustments to the essence of our foundation, expressed through Him as the Word of God, which is nothing else but God’s love for mankind. Therefore, love is the only source, grace – an actuator, and the Orthodox Church – aim of true spirituality.

Whole sub-celestial world opposes the Orthodox Church, for no other reason than the pledge of love that She keeps and carries throughout the vicious time of human history. None of the other so called church, religion or religious organization does not have neither a glimmer of glare on that pledge of God's love which exudes out from living tradition of truth and salvation of our Maternal Orthodox Church.
Serpentslayer

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christ

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 04:13:28 AM »

Love is a supreme commandment and gift. It is from God and is intended for union with Him. It arrives in our hearts from the mind, through reason. As the Cross of the Lord, it has two dimensions, while remaining unique, teaching every individual to become like God, and all together to each other, regarding on Him.

Its sides (human and divine) are developing completely evenly, without any deviation, through the simultaneous transformation of the mind and upbringing of reason. This process of growth and maturation of the undivided love can be clearly observed alongside of five successive stages that could be appointed as: forces, conditions, actions, ranks and honors, through which, guided by love, our soul gets filled and gains its own original meaning and ultimate purpose, achieving expedient beauty and dignified integrity of its being.

http://krotok.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/on-the-subject-of-personality/

God is LOVE! (1 John 4:8 )

The essence and nature of God is love.

A person can be loving but cannot be love.

Therefore any faithful in communion with the source of life and love are by biblical definition loving people and in harmony with the law of love (Agape).

Off course there is a worldly definition of love, but that is not love at all.

Jesus summed it all up by saying:

John 15:13
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Therefore love is by literally giving yourself to your husband, wife, family and friends without any anticipated return.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:13:52 AM by Serpentslayer » Logged
krotok

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »

The Orthodox Tradition of the notion of human existence is most concisely expressed in the liturgical call to “commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God”, which clearly shows to every Orthodox Christian that he posses in oneself his own authentically subsistent, unquenchable and indestructible natural existence, that, if he wants for oneself and for his loved ones, to get enriched by the presence and the attributes of the divine being, following the example the Most Holy Theotokos, he may hand it over to Christ our God.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 04:40:49 PM »

RO

I can't believe no one has posted this, the definition of love -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJSgpedXBpY&feature=share&list=PL170B65A7C63CCE22

SNL is love!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »

Definition of love = to speak in a way that is understandable by more than .000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of your readers.

DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

What curls do on a bad hair day!

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 04:46:34 PM »

RO

I can't believe no one has posted this, the definition of love -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJSgpedXBpY&feature=share&list=PL170B65A7C63CCE22

SNL is love!

+1

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: