OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:51:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Assert my Independence?  (Read 3120 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »

Oookay... *brings out the firebrand* Hey, she's paying for them! Her money, her rules! If she things you'll look great in an orange paisley muumuu, orange paisley muumuu it is! Grin

When Mama says 'Jump', underage kids say 'How high, Ma'am?' Cheesy

This is bringing up bad memories. When I was in high school my gram was my legal guardian, and she'd buy these outlandish shirts, like a caveman riding a dinosaur, with "Omaha, Nebraska!" across the top. Truly bizarre stuff like that. I would insist that it was bizarre, and she'd say things like "Oh no one looks at your clothes" or "It was on sale, I got it for 60% off" as though that was supposed to make it better. Parents. Humph.  Cool

I didn't know we were related. Sounds exactly like my mother.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2013, 04:35:58 PM »

Why would anyone want to buy clothes without trying them on first? Don't you want them to, you know, fit? Huh

Generally speaking this would seem sensible; however, clothes that fit aren't in style. The fad right now are clothes 2 sizes too small (or "skinny"), though some people, especially guys, still like clothes (especially pants) 2 sizes too large.

Plumber's crack = instant, irrevocable friendzone.

Having a plumber's crack results in having more friends?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:39:00 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2013, 05:18:28 PM »

Why would anyone want to buy clothes without trying them on first? Don't you want them to, you know, fit? Huh

I never try them on first. I'm usually not even present when my clothes are bought.

The first thing my husband did when we got married was give me his credit card and tell me to go shopping for him. I took his measurements and have been shopping for him ever since. He hates department stores and will not go into one of those stores. He tries on the clothes and shoes that I buy at home (never at the store) and rarely do I have to return an item. Often, I will purchase his clothes online, especially those that we have previously purchased. Lately, I have been sewing him PJs and Hawaiian shirts. The only time he will go shopping is when he must buy a suit. Those are different animals.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:20:44 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »

Generally speaking this would seem sensible; however, clothes that fit aren't in style. The fad right now are clothes 2 sizes too small (or "skinny"), though some people, especially guys, still like clothes (especially pants) 2 sizes too large.

Other plumbers. If those are your crew of choice, swell.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2013, 05:23:17 PM »

Other plumbers. If those are your crew of choice, smell.

Fixed it for you.  Roll Eyes

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »

Cigarettes make you stink and give you cancer.
It's also illegal in many states to smoke them before you turn 18.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »

Independence starts or ends only once you proclaim it.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »

Cigarettes make you stink and give you cancer.
It's also illegal in many states to smoke them before you turn 18.
I kind of forgot about that law.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »

I don't know how much free time you may have, but if you have an hour or so every few weeks, even this could be good for volunteering. If for instance you were to go out and learn how to do CPR at the Red Cross, I bet that would give your parents a positive impression. I worked for a few months at a food bank, and it turned out to be one of the best experiences I've had. Good luck, James.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »

I never try them on first. I'm usually not even present when my clothes are bought.
QFT!  My wife is awesome because she does not require my attendance when she is buying my clothes.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2013, 07:18:51 PM »

I don't know how much free time you may have, but if you have an hour or so every few weeks, even this could be good for volunteering. If for instance you were to go out and learn how to do CPR at the Red Cross, I bet that would give your parents a positive impression. I worked for a few months at a food bank, and it turned out to be one of the best experiences I've had. Good luck, James.
This is some of the best advice I've seen on this thread. The more James acts like a mature young adult, the more his mom will be willing to treat him like one.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2013, 08:25:23 PM »

QFT!  My wife is awesome because she does not require my attendance when she is buying my clothes.

That explains the pink tutu I saw you in a few weeks ago.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »

That explains the pink tutu I saw you in a few weeks ago.
Erm, well....this is embarrassing!  I didn't realize you were watching.  Well, since it is out there now, I might as well post a pic.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2013, 11:02:24 PM »

Where exactly were you, that it was snowing a few weeks ago?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2013, 11:04:10 PM »

Why all men are like that? What's wrong with you? Shopping is fun.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2013, 11:15:45 PM »

Why all men are like that? What's wrong with you? Shopping is fun.

Only if you're shopping for cars, power tools, guns and ammo.  Otherwise, it's wasting money on frivolous things.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »

Not all men are like that. Although I go shopping *with* my husband when he buys clothing. I don't pick out his clothing. He is an adult man, I have 6 children and myself to pick out clothing for (eldest daughter at 11 still wants my input). I have much better things to do with my time than pick out an adult man's clothing. He wears a uniform to work, so he doesn't need much in the way of clothing.

And not all women enjoy clothing shopping, I certainly don't enjoy it all that much (for myself or the kids).
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »

I love shopping at home improvement stores, thrift stores, and the like. Even then, I have limits to the time I like being there. I might last longer at a knife show Cheesy
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »

R u srs

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2013, 12:38:26 AM »

LOL the women I have dated have terrible taste in clothing styles for men.  Tongue

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2013, 12:49:30 AM »

LOL the women I have dated have terrible taste in clothing styles for men.  Tongue

What kind of women are you dating? Sheesh!

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/120524/tdy_lauer_tutu_120524.video-260x195.jpg
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:50:15 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:05 AM »

Only if you're shopping for cars, power tools, guns and ammo.  Otherwise, it's wasting money on frivolous things.

Things like food and toilet roll are only frivolous until you run out.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2013, 06:45:57 AM »

Words to live by.  laugh laugh laugh
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:06 AM »

Most of the folks here doesn't seem to remember what is it like to be a teenager.

I remember clearly.  I was horrible. Embarrassed
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »

Most of the folks here doesn't seem to remember what is it like to be a teenager.

I remember clearly.  I was horrible. Embarrassed
+1

It's funny though, I didn't realize it was horrible at the time.  It was only once I got older and matured that I look back at my teenage years and just shake my head.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »

I wasn't horrible. I was generally speaking obedient, did great at school, didn't take any drugs, drink alcohol or smoke tobacco. I believed in God and went to the church both with and without my parents. I didn't have much of a will, self-esteem or personhood during my teenage years and I was generally speaking somewhat anguished over our family life but I guess obedience and respect is all that matters.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »

I wasn't horrible. I was generally speaking obedient, did great at school, didn't take any drugs, drink alcohol or smoke tobacco. I believed in God and went to the church both with and without my parents. I didn't have much of a will, self-esteem or personhood during my teenage years and I was generally speaking somewhat anguished over our family life but I guess obedience and respect is all that matters.

I was the same. I was very stubborn, however, and just wanted to be left alone.  My parents were always trying to get me to get out of the house. I think they would have liked it if I got into trouble once. Grin

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2013, 02:19:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure the world has ended multiple times on being at the last sheet of a toilet paper roll

– St. Ambrose of Milan
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »

Everyone I know is always teasing me and telling me that I need to assert some more independence from my parents because they are too controlling and/or overprotective. Even adults tell me this. That being said, I guess I could see where they are coming from.

My parents text message me every half-an-hour whenever I go somewhere without them to make sure that I am okay, and get mad if I don't respond within 10 minutes (even at Liturgy), they won't let me accept rides from people or use public transportation without an adult (they'd rather chauffer me around until I get my license), my mom still picks out my clothing at the department store and makes me try it on for her, they don't let me drink or smoke, my mother is overprotective when it comes to me socializing with females, in which, my dad has to tell her to back off, etc. The list goes on.

I'm a robot. I just go along with whatever they tell me to do and I guess it's time I start acting like a man more and gaining independence. How do I do this without angering them?

EDIT: I'm 17

Join the Legion and change your name.  But seriously, at least you have parents that give a crap.  There are many that don't even have that.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »

Hahaha oh I remember the days of my mother picking out clothes and having me try them on as well. Happened before school season.

I'm pretty sure it stopped before middle school.

But my mother is very overprotective as well, but I have always taken it in stride and given into her demands because I love her dearly. I'm already in my 20s but I will always be a child in her eyes, doesn't really bother me much.

My perfect woman would be one that acts like a mother to me.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

lol I think his parents care very much! Al thought,when your a teen It feels like they are watching all the time.I think he needs some time for him self.He needs to tell his parents that he loves them but feels a little smothered by them.He appreciates them for all they do and He knows how scared they must feel seeing him grow up,but all will be OK.trust in God and him.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2013, 08:08:03 AM »

Hahaha oh I remember the days of my mother picking out clothes and having me try them on as well. Happened before school season.

I'm pretty sure it stopped before middle school.

But my mother is very overprotective as well, but I have always taken it in stride and given into her demands because I love her dearly. I'm already in my 20s but I will always be a child in her eyes, doesn't really bother me much.

My perfect woman would be one that acts like a mother to me.

My wife says she hates acting like a mother to me.  Then she buys me clothes. Grin  Hahaha, I love it.  It is perfect.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: