OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 08:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the Keys of Heaven  (Read 1246 times) Average Rating: 0
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« on: January 29, 2005, 06:38:18 PM »

I was wondering why the Orthodox Church says in the prayer for the Funeral Service During Renewal week the following: Greatly merciful Sovereign Lord Jesus Christ our God, Who after Your holy, thirdGÇæday resurrection from the dead gave to Your holy Disciples and Apostles the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven, and also the authority of Your Grace both to bind and to loose the sins of men...  It says that Jesus gave the Keys of Heaven to the rest of his diciples too.  Why is that?  Anyone know?  Thanks! 

http://216.239.57.104/u/goarch?q=cache:yDh6lHFe0ggJ:www.goarch.org/en/chapel/liturgical_texts/renewal_funeral.asp+Keys+to+the+Kingdom+of+Heaven&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 07:26:24 PM »

It would be hard to answer that question without running into heated arguments with Roman Catholics.

According to Orthodox ecclesiology, ALL the apostles received the keys of kingdom.

but as I said, since I don't feel like getting into a heated argument....I'll end my answer right there without getting into Patristics, ecclesiology, etc.

I hope my answer didn't seem like a "cop out"

Grin

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 07:29:40 PM »

It would be hard to answer that question without running into heated arguments with Roman Catholics.

According to Orthodox ecclesiology, ALL the apostles received the keys of kingdom.

but as I said, since I don't feel like getting into a heated argument....I'll end my answer right there without getting into Patristics, ecclesiology, etc.

I hope my answer didn't seem like a "cop out"

Grin

No, thanks for the reply!  But is there a site that could explain why?  Im not interested in debating it, I would just like to know why, since Matthew 16:18 says Jesus only gave Peter the keys.  Thanks! 

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 07:45:03 PM »

I can't think of any web-sites off the top of my head...but I can quote some Fathers:

"The word 'rock' has only a demonstrative value - it signifies nothing but the steadfast and firm faith of the apostles." - St. Cyril of Alexandria--"Of the Trinity",4th Book

"Peter and John were equal in dignity and honour.  Chirst is the foundation of all - the unshakable Rock upon which we are all built as a spiritual edifice."  St. Cyril of Alexandria, in his letter to Nestorius.

"He (referring to Peter) had not the primacy over the disciples, but among the disciples.  His primacy among the disciples was the same as that of Stephen among the deacons."  St. Augustine--Sermon 10 on Peter and Paul.

"As soon as Peter heard these words,'Whom say ye that I am', remembering his place he exercised this primacy, a primacy of confession, not of honour, a primacy of faith, not of rank."  St. Ambrose, "De In Som Sacr." 4:32

"But observe how Peter does everything with the common consent; nothing imperiously."  St. John Chrysostom, Homily III on Acts 1:12

"To all the Apostles after His resurrection He gives equal power and says, 'As the Father sent me, so I send you'."  St. Cyprian, "De Unitate"

"For neither did Peter, whom first the Lord chose....when Paul disputed with him afterwards about the circumcision, claim anything to himself insolently, nor arrogantly assume anything, so as to say that he held a primacy, and that he ought to be obeyed by novices and those lately come."  St. Cypriam, Epistle 70 concerning the baptism of heretics.

There are others, but I am a bit lazy...

p.s. all this is quoted from "Two Paths" by Michael Whelton

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 01:07:15 AM »

Matthew 18:18 

"Verily I say to you, whatsoeer ye shall bind in the earth shall have been bound in the heavens, and whatsoever ye shall loose on the earth shall have been loosed in the heavens."

Note the use of the plural you in the Greek. 
drewmeister2
Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 11:36:22 AM »

Thank you all for your help!!

So the reason Jesus gave the Keys of Heaven to Peter first (the gift of Faith) was because he ultimately recognized Christs divinity first?  But in the end, all the apostles received the keys of Heaven, correct?  Thanks again! 

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

NI    KA

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 08:12:32 PM »

I think thats right.  Also Christ knew St.Peter would be tested and interrogated, so he wanted to keep his faith ablaze, even through the rough times.  Remember that in sth scripture it laso speaks of satan wanting to claim St. Peter, but Christ prayed for him that he be guided the right way.

Ian Lazarus :grommit:

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
SaintShenouti

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 08:48:28 PM »

Note it was St. Cyril of Alexandria, an Egyptian nonetheless Wink, who explains thoroughly against the primacy of Peter.  Indeed, the Lord Christ is the One Rock of the church.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: