OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:18:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creepy House and other challenges  (Read 1240 times) Average Rating: 0
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« on: July 20, 2013, 08:37:31 AM »

My son, despite being only 5, can hardly wait to go sign up for Creepy House. I suspect he's more interested in stories for me to read to him than anything in his own reading level! Cheesy Are there any similar challenges in your neck of the woods?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 08:57:36 AM »

Lol!  I thought this thread would be about haunted houses!

...but, it's way cooler than that!

It sounds like a really fun program.  I've not heard of anything similar in my area, beyond a list of books given out by teachers on the last day of class.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »

We have taken part in summer reading programs at local libraries like this in the past and our children loved them.  Now that the two eldest are 20 and 17 they're too old for them and they read lots of books on their own anyway.  But this sort of thing has always been great in our experience. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »

I'm pretty certain that the 'scary' theme was picked to encourage boys to take up the challenge. There are complaints left and right that the books chosen by teachers for classroom study are too girly and fail to draw in the male contingent, who is already halfway out to football club already.

For my part, I'm going to read the Harry Potter series over the holidays (44 days, including today, for seven books; a slightly more challenging target). I've done a lot of HP-inspired activities over the last few years, so it's way past time I got into the canon as well - before young master overtakes me!

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:38:56 AM »

Update: Challenge was successfully completed in 30 days flat. Keeping to the theme of the challenge, the young man picked mostly 'scary' reads.

Traction Man and the Beach Odyssey
Who Loves Mr Tubs?
The Ghost Train
The Night of the Paper Bag Monsters
Jack and the Bean Pie
Wild West Willy

He's ready to graduate to Roald Dahl now. Grin

I'll get a pic of him with his medal whenever he remembers where he has stashed it... >_>

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »

Nice!  Congratulations!

The medal is probably somewhere under the bed...next to the socks!  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »

The medal is probably somewhere under the bed...next to the socks!  Wink

Or behind the sofa, if I know him at all! Roll Eyes

Arachne
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »

Some thread necromancy is only fitting to introduce this year's summer reading challenge: Mythical Maze!

The rules are the same as with Creepy House: read six books in as many weeks, earn stickers for your poster, win a medal and certificate upon successful completion. I bet the young one will drag me to the library to sign him up on the first day, even before school is out for summer. Grin

Tags: children  reading  challenge 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: