Author Topic: "Christ in the Psalms" Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon  (Read 748 times)

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
"Christ in the Psalms" Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »
Have any of you read this?  Would you please comment on it?  I love the psalter but find that oftentimes I don't understand what I'm reading/praying there.  Fr. Reardon's book looks as if it might help a lot, especially if the reviews on Amazon are to be believed, but would really appreciate further input about it before I spend the $$.  Or...if there's something better, perhaps someone could suggest it?  Also, does Fr. Reardon's book cover the whole psalter?

Thanks!!!!!!  :)
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: "Christ in the Psalms" Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »
I got it and am impressed. Great source of information and reflection.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
Have any of you read this?  Would you please comment on it?  I love the psalter but find that oftentimes I don't understand what I'm reading/praying there.  Fr. Reardon's book looks as if it might help a lot, especially if the reviews on Amazon are to be believed, but would really appreciate further input about it before I spend the $$.  Or...if there's something better, perhaps someone could suggest it?  Also, does Fr. Reardon's book cover the whole psalter?

Thanks!!!!!!  :)
Even Psalm 151.  There is a slight difference between the second and first edition-the second he expanded on a psalm or two.

It consists of a few pages (2-4 or so) on each Psalm, more in the vein on a meditation on relating the Psalm to Christ/Christology/the Life in Christ, rather than a textual-historical analysis-but, being Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon, he does that as well.

The only thing I've seen comparable was "the Holy Fathers and the Psalter", which was a LOT costlier IIRC.

Btw, for full disclosure, the author is my priest.

You can see a free preview on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Psalms-Patrick-Henry-Reardon/dp/1888212217/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374273559&sr=1-1&keywords=Christ+in+the+Psalms
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:29:33 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Red A.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I've got it and have found it very helpful.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »
Thanks, folks!!  I'm closer now to getting it.  Your input helps.
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »
An excellent and illuminating work.  Buy it.

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »
I think it's worthwhile, depending on what you are looking for in it. One advantage is that it's written in a good style. He is a good author. The main "area for improvement" for me is that the author didn't explain the logic behind how the Psalms were prophecies of the Messiah, which was what I was looking for when I read it. For the latter I would recommend some of the Church fathers.

Regards.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:42:35 PM by rakovsky »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Automated Kibitz Machine
  • Taxiarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Serious Injury List
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »
If it's like his other material it is solid.
According to clock time and calendar time the approval of threads may seem to be long delayed, but in sacred time it is always near at hand, always imminent.
Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 10:04:55 AM »
Bought it from Amazon yesterday afternoon.  Thanks, everyone!