OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:40:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Christ in the Psalms" Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon  (Read 422 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« on: July 19, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »

Have any of you read this?  Would you please comment on it?  I love the psalter but find that oftentimes I don't understand what I'm reading/praying there.  Fr. Reardon's book looks as if it might help a lot, especially if the reviews on Amazon are to be believed, but would really appreciate further input about it before I spend the $$.  Or...if there's something better, perhaps someone could suggest it?  Also, does Fr. Reardon's book cover the whole psalter?

Thanks!!!!!!  Smiley

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »

I got it and am impressed. Great source of information and reflection.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »

Have any of you read this?  Would you please comment on it?  I love the psalter but find that oftentimes I don't understand what I'm reading/praying there.  Fr. Reardon's book looks as if it might help a lot, especially if the reviews on Amazon are to be believed, but would really appreciate further input about it before I spend the $$.  Or...if there's something better, perhaps someone could suggest it?  Also, does Fr. Reardon's book cover the whole psalter?

Thanks!!!!!!  Smiley
Even Psalm 151.  There is a slight difference between the second and first edition-the second he expanded on a psalm or two.

It consists of a few pages (2-4 or so) on each Psalm, more in the vein on a meditation on relating the Psalm to Christ/Christology/the Life in Christ, rather than a textual-historical analysis-but, being Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon, he does that as well.

The only thing I've seen comparable was "the Holy Fathers and the Psalter", which was a LOT costlier IIRC.

Btw, for full disclosure, the author is my priest.

You can see a free preview on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Psalms-Patrick-Henry-Reardon/dp/1888212217/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374273559&sr=1-1&keywords=Christ+in+the+Psalms
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:29:33 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Red A.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »

I've got it and have found it very helpful.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »

Thanks, folks!!  I'm closer now to getting it.  Your input helps.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »

An excellent and illuminating work.  Buy it.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »

I think it's worthwhile, depending on what you are looking for in it. One advantage is that it's written in a good style. He is a good author. The main "area for improvement" for me is that the author didn't explain the logic behind how the Psalms were prophecies of the Messiah, which was what I was looking for when I read it. For the latter I would recommend some of the Church fathers.

Regards.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:42:35 PM by rakovsky » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »

If it's like his other material it is solid.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 10:04:55 AM »

Bought it from Amazon yesterday afternoon.  Thanks, everyone!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: