OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 04:24:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving  (Read 371 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

"It is said to me...where is your God" --Ps. 41:4

« on: July 19, 2013, 01:55:11 AM »

I have epilepsy and after going to the ER after a really bad seizure last summer my license have been suspended for a year or so. The hospital must have reported it to the state. Anyway, I just sent in the paperwork to the medical review board for the Commonwealth of Kentucky and hoping I will be able to drive again. Not being to drive is such a burden. I cannot get out and have fun like I used to, which can be depressing. I have to rely on a ride. Pray that I can drive again. My seizures are at night when sleeping so I should be safe to drive, which is what the medical review board will consider, but you know how bureaucracy works.

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:00:07 AM »

Are you on medication for your epilepsy? If not, it's highly likely you should be.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:22:31 AM »

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos Save Us
Saint Panteleimon Pray For Us

Please never ever eat or drink anything with aspartame (nutra-sweet)
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:27:20 PM »

Lord, have mercy on wainscottbl.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »

Lord have mercy.

St. Pantaleimon, pray for us.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »

Lord have mercy.
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Moderated
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »

Are you on medication for your epilepsy? If not, it's highly likely you should be.

Yes, I am taking 750 mg of Keppra, 2 tablets, three times a day. Morning about 8 am, afternoon about 4 pm, and night about 11 pm. I was taking 1000 mg tablets of the Keppra but my neurologist decided spreading them out might help my partial seizures during the day. These seizures, because they do not of themselves cause unconciousness or convulsions, but only effect a certain part of the brain rather than the whole brain, can be considered in giving an epileptic their license, something the Medical Review Board looks into on a case by case basis. They look into if the gran ma seizures happen during sleep or during the day, and the nature of the partial seizures and how they would effect driving. If they say no, I can appeal, and I will likely get a lawyer to help me in that case. Thanks for the prayers though. It's hard being stuck at home all the time. I miss getting out and going to see friends when I want to.

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 05:18:01 PM »

The 1000 mg Keppra were 2 tablets twice per day morning and night. Now spacing them out may help with the partial seizures which usually hit me during the day. Just Google partial seizures if you want to know what all that means. They are often called auras, but are medically considered seizures, though not the ones we usually thing of because the person is conscious and usually can function to some degree, though neurologically their functioning may be hindered depending on what part of the brain the partial seizure hits. A gran ma seizure happens when the whole brain has a seizure. They are more common in me at night because that is when the brain is resting and not able to rest and I have gran ma seizures in my sleep every couple months or so. I had one this month while taking a nap in the evening and all but one, the second seizure in my life which caused me to be diagnosed, happened while I was sleeping. The first one in my life happened while I was sleeping back when I was 13 or so. Then I had one again in 2009 on Thanksgiving dinner, before dinner. We were talking in the kitchen, and I started to fill funny, a partial seizure, something I had been having off and on for a couple months but did not know what it was. My parents asked if I was okay and I said I was fine. Next thing I know I was in the hospital and heard the doctors saying, "Brandon, you've had a seizure. It's Thanksgiving!"
   I remember saying, "Call a priest!" I thought I was dying.
   The others have been during sleep though. Vladimir Lenin dyed during a type of seizure I had twice last year called status epiletus. Wikipedia says of it:

"Status epilepticus (SE) is a life-threatening condition in which the brain is in a state of persistent seizure. Definitions vary, but traditionally it is defined as one continuous, unremitting seizure lasting longer than 5 minutes,[1] or recurrent seizures without regaining consciousness between seizures for greater than 5 minutes[citation needed]. Treatment is, however, generally started after the seizure has lasted five minutes. It is always considered a medical emergency. There is some evidence that five minutes is sufficient to damage neurons and that seizures are unlikely to self-terminate by that time.
First aid guidelines for seizures state that, as a rule, an ambulance should be called for seizures lasting longer than five minutes (or sooner if this is the patient's first seizure episode and no precipitating factors are known, or if SE happens to a person with epilepsy whose seizures were previously absent or well controlled for a considerable time period). The mortality rate of status epilepticus has the potential to be quite high (at least 20%), especially if treatment is not initiated quickly. However, with optimal neurological care, adherence to the medication regimen, and a good prognosis (no other underlying uncontrolled brain or other organic disease), the patient- even people who have been diagnosed with epilepsy- in otherwise good health can survive with minimal or no brain damage, and can decrease their risk of death and even avoid future seizures.[2]"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:19:18 PM by wainscottbl » Logged

Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: