OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 07:10:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penalty for Destroying Holy Things?  (Read 450 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: July 18, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »

Long story short, but I have a short fuse, and I recently lost my temper and overturned my prayer corner, tore off my baptismal Cross and threw it at the bottom of my junk drawer, and probably worst of all, threw an Icon of Christ against the wall and spat on it. As if that's not enough, I don't really feel ashamed for it...

How grave of a sin did I commit?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »

You ought to talk to your priest about that.  Given that you lost your temper, and assuming that was involuntary, that might mitigate things some.  On the other hand, some of the actions seem, to me anyway, to go beyond "I lost my temper", and if you don't feel any regret over those actions, that might be a more serious matter.  Just my two cents.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »

Not one that is unforgiveable... though the problem remains as long as you don't feel bad ("ashamed") about it. All is forgiven in repentance, from what I've experienced and read...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »

Long story short, but I have a short fuse, and I recently lost my temper and overturned my prayer corner, tore off my baptismal Cross and threw it at the bottom of my junk drawer, and probably worst of all, threw an Icon of Christ against the wall and spat on it. As if that's not enough, I don't really feel ashamed for it...

only as grave as you let it become.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »

I would say it is definitely something worth mentioning in confession.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 11:54:22 PM »

LOL this forum cracks me up. "Hey guys I spit on an icon of Christ." "Yeah mention that in confession maybe."

To answer James: It's extremely grave. Repent.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:54:52 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:58:03 PM »

None of the responses have been as wishy-washy as you seem to have interpreted them. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »

LOL this forum cracks me up. "Hey guys I spit on an icon of Christ." "Yeah mention that in confession maybe."

Wink

For the record, I said definitely, not maybe.  I'm sure his priest would have far more wisdom in working James through this than I ever would...

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:00:03 AM »

Well I cleaned up the mess and spent half an hour praying in repentance. I guess I'll tell this to my Priest next Confession.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »

Do you have a little bit of Asperger's Spectrum?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »

People spit on other people every day, in principle if not in literal act. That's much worse than spitting on an icon, that's spitting on the image of God. Again I would say, all is forgiven in repentance...
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 12:05:49 AM »

Well I cleaned up the mess and spent half an hour praying in repentance. I guess I'll tell this to my Priest next Confession.
You certainly don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but what angered you to the extent that triggered such a result?

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 12:23:21 AM »

You certainly don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but what angered you to the extent that triggered such a result?

Having a very bad day, to being tired and cranky from the 14 hour workday last night, to my mother being moody with me and giving me chores. On top of that, I've been dealing with depression for the past month (probably on-and-off for my entire life, without even knowing it) and questioning why God allows me to suffer and allows so much evil in the world. I guess I just snapped...

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 12:26:20 AM »

Having a very bad day, to being tired and cranky from the 14 hour workday last night, to my mother being moody with me and giving me chores. On top of that, I've been dealing with depression for the past month (probably on-and-off for my entire life, without even knowing it) and questioning why God allows me to suffer and allows so much evil in the world. I guess I just snapped...
I can sympathize with much of that.  I have struggled with depression for much of my life as well.  There is nothing worse that that feeling of anxiety and despair and being unable to think of anything that would make you feel better.  With medication, I do much better, but it still isn't always easy.  I will be sure to offer up a prayer for you tonight.  It sounds like you could use a few extra.  Undecided

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 01:23:05 AM »

I'd say not noticing a beggar say, is much worse yet nobody thinks it is. I mean if you don't recognize Christ in the beggar etc whats the use of kissing his icon?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 01:32:32 AM »

That is true....but, spitting on Christ is also a grave sin.

Perhaps there are some underlying and unresolved issues that brought this about.

You could have just as easily shattered a lamp or ripped your clothes to shreds....but, you chose to take out your frustration on Christ and His saints.  You actually tore off your baptismal Cross.

To me, this seems more than a temporary loss of control....but, an unresolved situation simmering just below the surface.

However, remember James, all sins are forgivable, if the person repents.  Therein, lies the gravest of issues...the fact that you feel no remorse.  That needs more inspection on your part.

Praying you find peace of mind.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:05 AM »

Perhaps there are some underlying and unresolved issues that brought this about.

You could have just as easily shattered a lamp or ripped your clothes to shreds....but, you chose to take out your frustration on Christ and His saints.  You actually tore off your baptismal Cross.

To me, this seems more than a temporary loss of control....but, an unresolved situation simmering just below the surface.

However, remember James, all sins are forgivable, if the person repents.  Therein, lies the gravest of issues...the fact that you feel no remorse.  That needs more inspection on your part.

THIS!!! Not a word out of place, and every word needed to be said.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 01:55:41 AM »

Always wise words from Liza, thank you.  Smiley

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
john_mo
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »

I find the way you are framing this thread to be wrong in itself.

The idea of their being a "penalty" is very, well, Roman Catholic.  The real question should be "What is the result of doing this?" or "Why did this happen?"  

In that respect, ialmisry gave you a quietly profound response:

only as grave as you let it become.

Icons can be cleaned or mended.  God can forgive you.  He doesn't want to penalize you from on high.  If you keep seeing things from such a perspective, the cycle of anger, sin, penance, anger, sin, etc. will go on forever.  Perhaps there is some burden you find too heavy to bear which you think God is expecting you to carry?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:00:02 AM by john_mo » Logged

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »

Signs of a strong man, but you are not yet me. Smiley If you ever confess say that you are not happy with God -- that's the actual "sin".

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: