OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:19:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bless you, or God bless you  (Read 1067 times) Average Rating: 0
Peacemaker
Elder

« on: July 11, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »

You can look on wikipedia for this sayings origin. Let's talk about those who aren't priest or bishops using this saying and using it when talking to priest and bishops. As we all know (at least I hope) a priest would never bless a bishop, it is the bishop who blesses the priest and both bless the people. This is a rule of the Church and proper etiquette. We as laity can never give a blessing to a priest or bishop and those words should never be said, we don't have the grace to do so. I've heard from many clergy who notice this and see it as a problem in our society. But yet we still use this saying in our day to day life. Asking blessings for family members, telling priest "bless you and your mission" and many other circumstances. Is it due to a social influence? Not to condemn anyone who uses this saying, however it should not become common practice in the Orthodox church. We have a hierarchy and rules for a reason, it keeps our faith pure and helps hold strong onto the ancient traditions of the Church.

I am guilty of this first, after becoming orthodox I didn't stop saying this phrase due to convert zeal or piety. I was told by clergy, "you should not say that." But yet here we are; I see it many times, people continue to use it in conversation. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Now I am aware that there are some circumstances where it is common practice. Such as, senior monks who are not priests will bless the food if a priest isn't around. Elders will give blessings, this is very common on Mt Athos. Greek grandmothers will bless their children.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »

My personal opinion is that context is usually enough to make it clear that the people saying "God bless you" or "May God bless your ministry in your new parish" or whatever do not intend to confer a blessing upon the person they are talking to the way a priest would, but instead are offering a sort of prayer for God's blessing upon that person.  A layperson doesn't usually wish a priest "God bless you" and push his fist into the priest's face expecting a bow and a kiss, after all.  Similarly, when I pray "Lord, have mercy" for someone, I don't imagine I'm offering a sacramental absolution.       

Maybe "back home" such things aren't done, but those are generally Orthodox cultures, and this is not.  Here, in the larger culture, such "blessings" aren't really what we'd call blessings but rather prayers.  So I don't see this as a big deal.  If one is not in the habit of saying such things, one shouldn't start, but if it comes naturally, I wouldn't sweat it.  But again, that's just my opinion.

Incidentally, it's not entirely accurate to say that a bishop is never blessed by a priest.  Different traditions have different rubrics regarding such things, but sometimes it is not optional for a bishop to receive the blessing of a priest.  If a priest hears a bishop's confession, or if he anoints a bishop during the Sacrament of Unction, for example, a blessing is a part of the rite.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »

This is actually a very good question, that I have seen come up often.

I am aware that we, laypeople, are not to "bless" clergy....and I've been really careful not to do so.  However, what would be the harm in saying "May God bless you in your efforts, etc."?  You aren't blessing them, nor are you inferring that God is blessing them through you, you are simply asking that God bless them.

When writing a greeting card to a clergyman....what does one say?  My usual is hoping that God blesses the individual with good health, happiness, etc.  What does one say on a card to a priest, then?  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year?  Happy Birthday!  ...and that's it?

Plus, what is wrong with laypeople asking that God bless other laypersons?  For example, for the majority of my days, my mother has "blessed" me, in fact, asking for God's blessing to be upon me (that He keeps me safe, that everything goes well...)....every time I leave the house.  When I went to school, then to college, than to work....every single day that she's been with me. 

I find it a great comfort.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »

Laity bless clergy all the time

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »

Could you elaborate on this in our context. I admit I've said similar things by accident and and never been corrected, but I've always felt guilty in so doing. While I don't intend to make a common use of the practice it would be nice to feel less guilty if I slip up.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:14:01 AM »

My personal opinion is that context is usually enough to make it clear that the people saying "God bless you" or "May God bless your ministry in your new parish" or whatever do not intend to confer a blessing upon the person they are talking to the way a priest would, but instead are offering a sort of prayer for God's blessing upon that person.  A layperson doesn't usually wish a priest "God bless you" and push his fist into the priest's face expecting a bow and a kiss, after all.  Similarly, when I pray "Lord, have mercy" for someone, I don't imagine I'm offering a sacramental absolution.       

Maybe "back home" such things aren't done, but those are generally Orthodox cultures, and this is not.  Here, in the larger culture, such "blessings" aren't really what we'd call blessings but rather prayers.  So I don't see this as a big deal.  If one is not in the habit of saying such things, one shouldn't start, but if it comes naturally, I wouldn't sweat it.  But again, that's just my opinion.

Incidentally, it's not entirely accurate to say that a bishop is never blessed by a priest.  Different traditions have different rubrics regarding such things, but sometimes it is not optional for a bishop to receive the blessing of a priest.  If a priest hears a bishop's confession, or if he anoints a bishop during the Sacrament of Unction, for example, a blessing is a part of the rite.   

This.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:24:49 AM »

We as laity can never give a blessing to a priest or bishop and those words should never be said, we don't have the grace to do so.
There is nothing wrong with saying bless you to non-clergy.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 04:47:03 AM »

You can bless someone on a personal level, as in pray for them, same as saying "Lord, help you!", and this can be said by both priests and laity. However, priests can administer God's blessing and sacraments and they are invested with this Grace; this is not something they do on a personal level (they do it for God, even though personally they are undoubtedly involved and responsible), and this is not something that laity is invested to do.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:56:44 AM by IoanC » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 08:46:18 AM »

What about a sneeze

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »

God bless you!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »

What about a sneeze

And with your spirit
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »

^ Ha ha!  That's funny!  Especially as in old days people used to teach that one ought to keep their mouth closed when sneezing (and yawning) in order that nobody snatch their spirit.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »

I read some of these things and think what would Jesus say about it.

God sees what is in your heart is what Christ taught, he knows what you need before you ask, and he knows if you are sincere .

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »

I was going to bring up all those times in the Psalms where the author says they will bless God (and by extension, when Christians pray with the Psalter they say they will bless God), but I'm sure someone could explain that "bless" there actually means praise or something, so...  um...  yeah, I don't say God bless to priests, but I am just audacious enough to try it with regular folk.  Smiley

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »

I was going to bring up all those times in the Psalms where the author says they will bless God (and by extension, when Christians pray with the Psalter they say they will bless God), but I'm sure someone could explain that "bless" there actually means praise or something, so...  um...  yeah, I don't say God bless to priests, but I am just audacious enough to try it with regular folk.  Smiley

The word bless indeed means to praise, as clearly seen in the Greek and Slavonic forms of the word: evloghia, blagoslovit'. Literally, these words mean to say good words.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »

Could you elaborate on this in our context. I admit I've said similar things by accident and and never been corrected, but I've always felt guilty in so doing. While I don't intend to make a common use of the practice it would be nice to feel less guilty if I slip up.

What is a blessing? It is, in fact, broadly defined. You ask a priest for a blessing and he says something like, "The Lord bless you," or in Greek "O Kyrios." So, in effect, it is not the person of the priest giving the blessing, from his viewpoint, but God, the source of all blessings.

Several holy priestmonks (among them Papa Tychon, Elder Paisios' elder, and Elder Augustine about whom Elder Paisios wrote) would ask laymen, even children, for their blessing before giving a blessing.

Of course, there is a hierarchical order of things, but, really, not saying "God bless you" after a clergyman sneezes is, for lack of a better term at the moment, out of place.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »

"Bless the Lord, O my soul..."

When we bless God, the source of all blessings, it is, in a way, like offering bread and wine, which are His, back to Him.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »

Good reference.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »

Thank you Shanghaiski.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »

When we bless God, the source of all blessings, it is, in a way, like offering bread and wine, which are His, back to Him.

What is that in the greek, Ευλόγει η Ψυχή μου τον Κύριον. I don't think that "the" is meaning we are offering blessings to the Lord, we are asking the Lord to bless our soul.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »

What is that in the greek, Ευλόγει η Ψυχή μου τον Κύριον. I don't think that "the" is meaning we are offering blessings to the Lord, we are asking the Lord to bless our soul.

Then it would be, "Bless my soul, O Lord." No, we bless God. "Blessed is our God" at the beginning of Liturgy is blessing God. All the many other times in the Old Testament God is blessed. And also, "Blessed is God who wills all men to be saved." God is blessed, and so we bless God. In the LXX Job, Job is told, "Bless God and die."

LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 11:57:15 PM »

Ευλόγει is definitely referring to the soul blessing or praising God.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 12:14:03 AM »

Nope.  Definitely the soul exhorting itself to bless the Lord.  Same in Syriac as in Greek.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »

Nope.  Definitely the soul exhorting itself to bless the Lord.  Same in Syriac as in Greek.
and Hebrew (and Arabic) where that is even more strongly underlined (the Semitic feminine being used for the soul, in contrast to the masculine "Lord").

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »

I do not know Greek, but I was just thinking that during Divine Liturgy, when it is time for the Epiklisis, that we prostrate ourselves or kneel and sing, "We hymn you, we bless you . . .".  I cannot remember the exact words, and I do not have our Divine Liturgy book with me, but I do remember that we use the word "Bless" in that song.  Perhaps the Greek can be translated a different way? Undecided
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:36:09 AM by Gamliel » Logged
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »

I do not know Greek, but I was just thinking that during Divine Liturgy, when it is time for the Epiklisis, that we prostrate ourselves or kneel and sing, "We hymn you, we bless you . . .".  I cannot remember the exact words, and I do not have our Divine Liturgy book with me, but I do remember that we use the word "Bless" in that song.  Perhaps the Greek can be translated a different way? Undecided

The Greek (transliterated) is: Se ymnoume, Se evloghoume ... Yep, it's bless. It's exactly the same in Slavonic: Tebe poyem, tebe blagoslovim.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: