OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:28:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which Christian Emperor Had the Most Significant Positive Impact on the Church?
St. Constantine - 19 (51.4%)
St. Theodosius - 5 (13.5%)
St. Justinian - 6 (16.2%)
Another Emperor - 3 (8.1%)
They All Stunk! - 4 (10.8%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Christian Emperor Had the Most Significant Positive Impact on the Church?  (Read 2209 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: July 18, 2013, 10:26:15 PM »

St. Constantine - Issued edict of toleration, provided several important secular advantages, called first ecumenical council, etc.

St. Theodosius - Established Nicene Orthodoxy as the official religion of the empire, called second ecumenical council, etc.

St. Justinian - Recovered lost Orthodox lands and protected existing lands, called fifth ecumenical council, etc.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:58:39 PM »

Well Nero produced the most martyrs...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »

Well Nero produced the most martyrs...

I would have guessed Diocletian...  and I said Christian Emperor...  Cool
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 11:17:38 PM »

St. Constantine: Emperors Theodosius and Justinian are impossible without him.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »

No St Abgar?  No St Drtad? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »

^Just kings, not emperors.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 11:42:59 PM »

Oh phooey.  A rose by any other name...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:04:54 AM »

Wouldn't it be cool if we used emperor instead of czar in American politics? Emperor of Science would get a lot more respect than science czar.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »

No posts yet about how evil Emperor Constantine was. This is a good sign.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »

No posts yet about how evil Emperor Constantine was.

He made it pagan!!!!!
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »

I would nominate, HIH Haile Selassie I, especially for his role in calling the Council of Addis Ababa in 1965.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »

I voted for St. Justinian. There is some really beautiful music of his feast on the Church of Greece website. That's not why I voted for him, but it's true too. Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »

I also voted for Justinian for beginning to build (or rebuild) the Hagia Sophia.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »

St. Constantine. He's definitely one of my favorite saints.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »

I would nominate, HIH Haile Selassie I, especially for his role in calling the Council of Addis Ababa in 1965.

What was that council about?

Anyways, I really don't know which one to pick. They all did great things.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
john_mo
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »

He was so Byzantine. 

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 07:25:19 AM »

I am somewhat let down that the wrong emperor is winning (and by a landslide), but alas, what can you do?
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »

I've always been a bit more of a Justinian man myself.  St. Constantin's life seems a bit shady to me, and I'm not saying he was shady, just then our accounts of him are not very satisfying.  A lot of this is because of Zosimos, the pagan historian from whom we get most of our accounts of Constantin's life.  Zosimos was anti-Christian and was apparently trying to re-establish pagan beliefs.  He also lived centuries after Constantin's time.

Justinian was clearly Orthodox, and skillfully finished what Constantin started. 

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »

I've always been a bit more of a Justinian man myself.  St. Constantin's life seems a bit shady to me...

LOL.  I get what you mean, but LOL.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »

Justinian was clearly Orthodox

*kuch* Aphtartodocetism *kuch*

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »

Binged it, googled it.  Can't find any info on this in English.  Help a brotha out!

—G.K. Chesterton
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 01:17:07 PM »

Binged it, googled it.  Can't find any info on this in English.  Help a brotha out!

Justinian died a disciple of the heretical Julian of Halicarnassus who taught aphtartodocetism. Here's a link. It's a bad one, but still.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »

Does Stalin count as Orthodox?
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »

Orthodox or not, he wasn't an emperor.  Tongue

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »

Orthodox or not, he wasn't an emperor.  Tongue

Perhaps not officially, but "rare simpleton" is an anagram of "emperor stalin." Make of that what you will.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:13:30 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »

St. Justinian - Recovered lost Orthodox lands and protected existing lands, called fifth ecumenical council, etc.
+ Married St. Theodora

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 10:05:26 AM »

+ Married St. Theodora

He married a Theodora, but she was no saint.  In fact she was a heretic who was against Justinian's choice of Chalcedonian Christianity.  I think the particular St. Theodora you're thinking of was also an empress, but was the wife of Theophilos and lived in the 9th century.  She was the one who ended iconoclasm. 

—G.K. Chesterton
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »

+ Married St. Theodora

He married a Theodora, but she was no saint.  In fact she was a heretic who was against Justinian's choice of Chalcedonian Christianity.  I think the particular St. Theodora you're thinking of was also an empress, but was the wife of Theophilos and lived in the 9th century.  She was the one who ended iconoclasm. 

But given her pre-imperial employment, I bet Justinian's Theodora was easier on the eyes. Perhaps that's what he was thinking of.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »

+ Married St. Theodora

from http://oca.org/saints/lives/2013/11/14/103302-st-theodora-the-empress

St Theodora the Empress
Commemorated on November 14

Saint Theodora was the wife of St Justinian the emperor, and lived during the sixth century.

The Empress Theodora was at first a notorious harlot and actress, and an adherent of the Monophysite heresy, but then she repented. After becoming empress, she led a virtuous life, maintaining purity of both soul and body. She provided wise counsel for her husband during his reign, and she also saved his throne during the Nika riots of 532 through her political intelligence and expertise.

St Theodora died in 548.

So which Church do you go to that makes here "not a saint", because it seems to me the Orthodox Church celebrates her sainthood.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:00:13 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »

+ Married St. Theodora

from http://oca.org/saints/lives/2013/11/14/103302-st-theodora-the-empress

St Theodora the Empress
Commemorated on November 14

Saint Theodora was the wife of St Justinian the emperor, and lived during the sixth century.

The Empress Theodora was at first a notorious harlot and actress, and an adherent of the Monophysite heresy, but then she repented. After becoming empress, she led a virtuous life, maintaining purity of both soul and body. She provided wise counsel for her husband during his reign, and she also saved his throne during the Nika riots of 532 through her political intelligence and expertise.

St Theodora died in 548.

So which Church do you go to that makes here "not a saint", because it seems to me the Orthodox Church celebrates her sainthood.

Well I'll be darned.  Thanks for this info.  The strange thing is that I actually tried to research whether or not she was a saint a few months ago, and I couldn't find any such information.  I was initially told by a fellow Orthodox that she wasn't a saint.  I googled her, and all that came up was for Theodora of Alexandria or the wife of Theophilos. I just took a gander at her wikipedia page, and while the one for St Justinian mentions him being a saint, there is no such info for Theodora.

My apologies for the misinformation.  I can only say that, for some reason, her sainthood doesn't seem to be well known.  At least from what I've seen.  Also, this is great!  Even before knowing this I always thought she was an amazing leader.

—G.K. Chesterton
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »

My apologies for being snarky.  I thought it was well known that she was a saint by both EOs and OOs.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 05:07:31 PM »

My apologies for being snarky.  I thought it was well known that she was a saint by both EOs and OOs.

No need to apologize.  I am just so glad to hear that she is in fact a saint.  As I said, I was always a Theodora fan from a historical standpoint, so this news made my day.

I just find it sad how all I heard about her before was that she was non-Chalcedonian.

—G.K. Chesterton
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »

+ Married St. Theodora

He married a Theodora, but she was no saint. 

There is Empress Theodora the wife of Justinian and Empress Theodora who convened the Seventh Ecumenical Council. Both are saints.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »

I just find it sad how all I heard about her before was that she was non-Chalcedonian.
This was not well defined at their time. She was sympathetic to non-Chalcedonians, but so was St. Justinian in his attempts to reconcile the schism. She was more tolerant of the persons themselves from what I understand.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »

Didn't St. Justinian fall into the trap that so many other men fall into when they get a burnin' in their loins and marry a stripper who promoted heresy?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:32:24 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »

Fail.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »

Didn't St. Justinian fall into the trap that so many other men fall into when they get a burnin' in their loins and marry a stripper who promoted heresy?
No.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »

Groan, I don't believe my eyes.
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 10:50:01 PM »

It's good not to be in communion with some people, isn't it?  Tongue

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 11:17:13 PM »

A scholarly book I have on his life appears to disprove that allegation.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 11:18:01 PM »

Justinian died a disciple of the heretical Julian of Halicarnassus who taught aphtartodocetism. Here's a link. It's a bad one, but still.

And the Church gives as much credence to that as St. Constantine being an Arian. Next.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:47 PM »

+ Married St. Theodora

Can we stop slandering the saints now? St. Theodora is in the Synaxarion and her feast is celebrated with her husband. If you have a complaint, take it to the Church's complaints department. Due to heavy volume, there's a 1000 year backlog. Your complaint will be answered in the order it was received.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 11:21:39 PM »

No need to apologize.  I am just so glad to hear that she is in fact a saint.  As I said, I was always a Theodora fan from a historical standpoint, so this news made my day.

Sorry. I responded as I read through the tread and missed your later posts. Apologies.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2013, 11:22:50 PM »

Santagranddad, meet JamesR.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »

This was not well defined at their time. She was sympathetic to non-Chalcedonians, but so was St. Justinian in his attempts to reconcile the schism. She was more tolerant of the persons themselves from what I understand.

St. Theodora the Empress is one of the few post-Chalcedonian saints to be venerated officially by the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: