OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 04:07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video on Authority  (Read 282 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish45

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin

« on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »

Hello all,

I was watching a video on youtube and It made me think these forums.  As a long time lurker who rarely  post, I know there are some great minds on this board.  I hope some Eastern and Oriental Orthodox brethren can provide some incite about this video.  The position of the Pope and the Church as a whole seems be closely related to the Eastern View although it's not all the way there.  I stared my reversion back to the Church in 2005.  Since this time, it seems to me this has been a trend within Catholic theology to move in that direction.  Perhaps my Catholic brethren could elaborate on that. 

Please lets keep this debate free.  What i'd really like to see is your take on the video and that's it.  If you need to add more that's fine, but as hard as it is to hold back when you see something you disagree with(Im from New England so I understand this!) please do so for the sake of the thread.  Any debating I hope can be  moved to a new forum. 

The video is from Father Barron's "Word on Fire" youtube channel.   He is the priest who made the Catholicism series that you have seen on TV. It says "Protestantism and Authority" but don't let that fool you.  This is the video I hope you watch. .  Its a little less than 10 minutes so if you get a chance, then please watch and reply!  Pray for me please.  I need it. - Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWYwBDqFsuE&feature=share&list=PLDB306F2100EB7184
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:52:19 AM »

I encourage your call for debate free thread, but knowing this forum, don't expect one! Still, miracles have been known to happen. Wink

I'm no scholar, but here are my thoughts on the video:

I like Father Barron a lot. He's very personable and tends to empathize with the side that he's trying to gently disprove.

The video was a response to a book that I haven't read, so I can't see the whole argument. However, what Fr. Barron had to say about authority and the Church, I think, was largely orthodox. He only mentioned the pope once, and that was followed by "and the bishops." While I don't think he was implying that the pope (i.e. the bishop of Rome) and the other bishops are equals (which is what we Orthodox believe), I appreciate how he stressed collegiality. I listen to Catholic radio, and it really ruffles my feathers when the host or guest of a show keeps throwing out terms like "the successor of Peter" and "the vicar of Christ" while completely ignoring the rest of the Church leaders.

The most important point that Fr. Barron made is that the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit. With that, we Orthodox can agree wholeheartedly.
Irish45

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:01:10 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I love Father Barrons approach too.  He seems to bring up ideas in this philosophical though that I haven't heard or heard explained the way he articulates it.  The who reason I wanted to post this video is because of how he states(I don't think he said bishop or pope) how the voice of the church should lead like a referee, as more of a spectator.  How the authority should only be exercised if someone goes out of bounce. Obviously I believe in Papal Infallibility, but I do have a respect for the EO position and to be honest, for a long time i could of gone ether way.  I think if Papal Infallibility is true, it would of looked a lot like Father Barron described it in this video. At least in the early church.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I love Father Barrons approach too.  He seems to bring up ideas in this philosophical though that I haven't heard or heard explained the way he articulates it.  The who reason I wanted to post this video is because of how he states(I don't think he said bishop or pope) how the voice of the church should lead like a referee, as more of a spectator.  How the authority should only be exercised if someone goes out of bounce. Obviously I believe in Papal Infallibility, but I do have a respect for the EO position and to be honest, for a long time i could of gone ether way.  I think if Papal Infallibility is true, it would of looked a lot like Father Barron described it in this video. At least in the early church.

I agree that the form of Church government that he alluded to more closely resembles that of the early Church than the one I hear offered by some modern Roman Catholic apologists (i.e. all other bishops were always subordinate to the pope and the Orthodox are a bunch of schismatics who can't get anything done because they don't have Peter's successor anymore).

Obviously, even in this more "collegial" environment, I still don't believe that the bishop of Rome ever held more ecclesiastical authority than any other bishops. But Fr. Barron's version, which others have echoed throughout history, is a lot better for Orthodox-Catholic relations than "you guys are just wrong; come back to our bosom so you can be a real Church again." That is, if it's true, otherwise you're just being overly ecumenical to us damn disorganized ethnic schismatics.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:08:28 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: