OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:02:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Word of the Day  (Read 346 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: July 18, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »

Perhaps it is just me, but I think that expanding one's vocabulary is a vital part of continuing one's life education.  Therefore, I propose that we dedicate this thread to posting unusual words that we have either encountered throughout our day or you just think are flat out interesting words that the community might like.  They don't necessarily have to be strange, exotic words, just words that are not spoken in the context of the average day in your life.  Please put the word and its definition and if you like, you can also put down where you heard it or why it interests you.  You can put as many entries as you like.  They don't have to be English words, but at least put the definition in English. It can be an "Orthodox" word or not. 

Here is my first entry:

Hegemony, noun
Leadership or dominance, esp. by one country or social group.

I read it in this post and it made me think, I really like that word and it rolls off the tongue quite well.  I should include it in my speech more often.

Yes Fr. John is great!

This is actually the second time I've heard the notion that there was a period in the Church's history that Autocephaly was not granted just occurred and that it wasn't used as a means for hegemony.

Makes me think that with some of these 'pending' Churches that an EC should just pull an ecclesiastical-audit to see if they're working within the canons and then just grant a sweeping autocephaly for all of them so they can start working things out Eucharistically.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »

I started looking over the Paraklesis for the Dormition Fast (we're planning to do it once a week this year - first time ever) and came across the word "progenitress". I was able to figure out its meaning, but this is the definition.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »

I started looking over the Paraklesis for the Dormition Fast (we're planning to do it once a week this year - first time ever) and came across the word "progenitress". I was able to figure out its meaning, but this is the definition.
That is interesting.  Maybe I will start calling my mom, "progenitress"  Cheesy

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »

That is interesting.  Maybe I will start calling my mom, "progenitress"  Cheesy
Let us know how that works out.  Smiley
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »

I have a friend named Theodore, I refer to his mom as the Theotokos (pronounced "Thee-oh-tokos").  That always gets people going.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »

Get off my lawn!
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »

Whoa!  I totally did not see that.  I even did a quick search to see if anyone had done it before and somehow missed it.  I feel dumb now.  Embarrassed

I even named it the exact same thing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:33:21 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:46 PM »

Whoa!  I totally did not see that.  I even did a quick search to see if anyone had done it before and somehow missed it.  I feel dumb now.  Embarrassed

I thought it sounded familiar. But you caught me at a moment when I really did have a new word on my mind, so it was easy to jump right in  Grin .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »

Aw, don't feel bad. And fwiw I was totally joshing with you, I hope I wasn't taken even a bit seriously there. Also, I generally find it easy to use the search engine on this site, but it took a few different searches for me, and I knew exactly what I was looking for (which seems to be an important element using this search function, as other people seem to have little luck with it).
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:08:43 PM »

Aw, don't feel bad. And fwiw I was totally joshing with you, I hope I wasn't taken even a bit seriously there. Also, I generally find it easy to use the search engine on this site, but it took a few different searches for me, and I knew exactly what I was looking for (which seems to be an important element using this search function, as other people seem to have little luck with it).
No, have have been humiliated and as a result I must commit forum seppuku.

There, my honor is restored.   Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »

Auf Wiedersehen

This is a German phrase that translates to "I'm Peter Zane"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: