OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:07:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO juristictions and medical ethics  (Read 484 times) Average Rating: 0
spyridon

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Constantinople

« on: July 18, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »

I wonder if anyone could provide me with links to any discussion/teaching/pronouncements from the OO juristictions in regard to Medical Ethics- chiefly Abortion and Contraception- however anything would be of interest in this field?

God bless,

Spyridon.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »

I just realized I asked this in a thread that was in another section, but I'm kind of curious about the OO take on contraception.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »

To tell you the truth, I don't hear about it that often in the Armenian church.  What I have been told is that if the couple is married, and the form of birth control is not abortifacient, it's OK.

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:53:19 AM »

Wonderful, thank you. That is so much simpler than some other groups.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:01:50 AM »

Here are some answers to questions concerning contraception, given by my bishop, HG Bishop Youssef of the Southern United States:

Is contraception considered a "grave sin", like the RCC views it?

What about the morning after pill?

Under what, if any, circumstances may an Orthodox Christian use birth control?

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:48:24 AM »

What I have been told is that if the couple is married, and the form of birth control is not abortifacient, it's OK.

What does being married have to do with it? If the couple is not married, I guess their sin would be having extramarital sex, whether there is birth control or not.

In fact, if one cannot keep himself from this sin, I'd consider it preferable to use a condom to reduce the danger of HIV being spread.
Irish45

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 11:25:50 PM »

Here are some answers to questions concerning contraception, given by my bishop, HG Bishop Youssef of the Southern United States:

Is contraception considered a "grave sin", like the RCC views it?

What about the morning after pill?

Under what, if any, circumstances may an Orthodox Christian use birth control?

Great links!  

A quick disclaimer:    Tone and context can often be misjudged in this setting.  I don't wan't that to happen here.  I am Roman Catholic and I don't believe in using birth control.   Having said that, my questions are out of curiosity; they are not bait for a debate.  Sorry, I know people here are very charitable but sometimes when the topic is a sensitive and personal; [like abortion or birth control] people read things the wrong way.

The answer giving for using birth control was well thought out but to be honest I was surprised by the answer because of how patristic OO are.  The good bishop did not add any footnotes to where he develeoped his idea from and so it had me thinking a couple of things:

Do OO draw the the belief that birth control is acceptable from church fathers or from a fresh look at science and theology?

How do OO develop teachings on these issues?  Is it acceptable for one jurisdiction to teach that its wrong while the other teach that is ok?

I'm not trying to troll the threat here so if these questions should be in another thread, then I apologize.

In fact, if one cannot keep himself from this sin, I'd consider it preferable to use a condom to reduce the danger of HIV being spread.

You make a valid point but I feel more needs to be said.  Condoms are effective in a single use.  When you look at there cumulative effectiveness they are must less reliable.  The chance of infection greatly increases.  What makes me nervous is promoting condom use can give people a false sense of security and ultimately lead them to get infected.  Add substance abuse into the mix and I bet the chance of infection increases higher because of the change of making a mistake and not realizing it.  I have reflected on this issue a lot recently so please don't take this as an attack, but rather its just me getting to vent some of the things i've though and read about.  

(Edited to fix quote tags. Salpy)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:47:48 AM by Salpy » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 06:29:46 AM »

Cumulative vs. single effectiveness of condoms? You mean some people wash and reuse them?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Irish45

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »

Hi,

No there is a mathematical equation used. I will link a couple of commentaries on the subject.  I highly recommend following the footnotes.  Don't take the authors word for it.  In fact, I would also read the whole study if you have the time.  Something I've learned recently is that for what ever reason, important data can get omitted from the conclusion of studies.   

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignity/contraception/upload/condoms-aids-fact-sheet.pdf
http://www.virginityrocks.com/condom-stats.html

Cumulative vs. single effectiveness of condoms? You mean some people wash and reuse them?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: