OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 10:17:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I've Learnt from Jesus.  (Read 699 times) Average Rating: 0
tetepet

Faith: Orthodox Christianity

New convert

@GeeBabaa_
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »

This tread is for all of us to post what ever we have learnt from the life of The Christ as stated in the Gospels.
I'll start with.
I learnt from The Christ's prayer in Gethsemane(Mat 26:36-46,Mk 14:32-42 and Lk 22:39-46) to get ready to accept whatever the will of God may be, while praying and hoping for the best.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »

To love, forgive and help everyone.

I learned that....but, doing it is a different matter.   angel

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »

That His idea of love and forgiveness is far superior to anything I could come up with.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 08:04:29 PM »

I can't articulate or describe what it is.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:05:00 PM by WPM » Logged
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »

This tread is for all of us to post what ever we have learnt from the life of The Christ as stated in the Gospels.
I'll start with.
I learnt from The Christ's prayer in Gethsemane(Mat 26:36-46,Mk 14:32-42 and Lk 22:39-46) to get ready to accept whatever the will of God may be, while praying and hoping for the best.

Greetings tetepet in the name of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ!  A wonderful reflection.  Thank you.   
Father H
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »

To love, forgive and help everyone.

I learned that....but, doing it is a different matter.   angel

Hi Liza!  One of the toughest parts of this helping people based, not on our own will nor on the other person's expectations, but rather on God's will and expectations even when we (or the other person) doesn't like it. 
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:41:05 PM »

It is better to tell everyone what a failure I am than to tell them what they want to hear. To rejoice in my failure.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »

That there is no such thing as real Christians.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »

It is better to tell everyone what a failure I am than to tell them what they want to hear. To rejoice in my failure.
I do not think you are a failure Sinful Hypocrite.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »

I do not think you are a failure Sinful Hypocrite.

God bless you Achronos. That is so very nice of you . Thank you

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 09:47:35 PM »

Everyone is a LARPer?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Father H
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »

Despondent self-deprecation is indicative of serious illness, either spiritual, mental, or both.  The internet is no place to get help.  I am very serious about this. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 01:46:49 AM »

Roll Eyes

Nice way to rectify in your own mind the torments that plague it.
Jovan
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 06:16:57 AM »

After being Orthodox for a little while, I saw a lecture where one elder, may his humble prayers be over me, told about one of the greatest commandment hidden within the gospel. Of course it struck me that "Love thy Lord your God with all your heart..." should be in the first place, because our Lord quoted it.

But the humble Elder quoted Luke 17:10 and commented than when you as a Christian has fulfilled everything you could fulfill, there´s only this commandment left. It´s a parable of a servant, but the commandment is fully clear when my eyes got opened to it. A beautiful and magnificent teaching he taught me as a Orthodox Christian.

Luke 17:10
10 So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’”

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 09:39:27 AM »

Everyone is a LARPer?
I touched on this in the other thread on arresting. The more I read the Gospel, the more the above is becoming much more clear to me.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »

Despondent self-deprecation is indicative of serious illness, either spiritual, mental, or both.  The internet is no place to get help.  I am very serious about this.  
Is that what the Lord taught, Or Paul when he wrote Romans 7:15,  that what he should not do, that is what he does, and that which he knows he should do , he does not do. Paul was saying what a failure he was too.
Matt 5:3
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

God bless you .
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:38:58 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »

Despondent self-deprecation is indicative of serious illness, either spiritual, mental, or both.  The internet is no place to get help.  I am very serious about this.  
Is that what the Lord taught, Or Paul when he wrote Romans 7:15,  that what he should not do, that is what he does, and that which he knows he should do , he does not do. Paul was saying what a failure he was too.

God bless you .

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary says this in part about Matthew 5:3,
This strong language was the result of St. Paul's great advance in holiness, and the depth of his self-abasement and hatred of sin. If we do not understand this language, it is because we are so far beneath him in holiness, knowledge of the spirituality of God's law, and the evil of our own hearts, and hatred of moral evil. And many believers have adopted the apostle's language, showing that it is suitable to their deep feelings of abhorrence of sin, and self-abasement.

tetepet

New convert

@GeeBabaa_
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »

I'll start with.

Greetings tetepet in the name of our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ!  A wonderful reflection.  Thank you.   
Thank you
Father H
Archon

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 10:31:47 PM »

God bless you .

Poor in spirit is distinct from what you are doing. 

"Despondency is a paralysis of soul, an enervation of the mind, neglect of asceticism, hatred of the vow made. It calls those of the world blessed."  (St. John of the Ladder)

The Church is a hospital.  If I should call your condition "well," I would be lying.  Your very post is a cry for help.  I will no longer post on this publically. 

Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »

You did not read the Commentary from Matthew Henry's, It uses the word Self-abasement for what Paul said in Romans 7:15, It also mentions why you will not understand as it is at a level of understanding most people never see.

It is no different when Jesus spoke  the parable of the publican and the sinner,

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

The man who is self-debasing is the one who is exalted by God, The one who thinks himself righteous in his own eyes is humbled by God.

The fact is that is exactly what Paul was doing when he wrote Romans 7:15, and what I was saying , even if it was not clear to you.

Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 07:29:46 PM »

"Hypocrite reader - my fellow - my brother!"  ~St Jerome

This is similar to what I wa saying, St. Jerome is also self-debasing, and a wise man I know once said "There are two kinds of people in the world , Hypocrites and dead ones."

Most people IMHO will never understand this, it is only learned, I think , through extreme hardship such as racism, most people I have ever spoken about it have no concept of it. I believe it to be all through Jesus teachings, as it is simply to humble oneself and let God do the exalting.

But in no way do I achieve that, as I am a sinful man and I do not always do what I know I should, But I try.Sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:40:54 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »

-I'll never live up to Him

-Life sucks

-Evil is more powerful than good

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 11:10:31 AM »

You learned this from Jesus??  Which Jesus?  One of these guys?:
    Jesús Alou (born 1942), Dominican baseball player
    Jesus Baza Duenas, Catholic priest in Guam
    Jesús Flores (born 1984), Venezuelan baseball player
    Jesús Guevara, Venezuelan boxer
    Jesús Guzmán (born 1984), Venezuelan baseball player
    Jesús Herrera, Mexican long-distance runner
    Jesús Jiménez Zamora (1823–1897), President of Costa Rica from 1863 to 1866 and 1868 to 1870
    Jesus Quintana, character in the film The Big Lebowski
    Jesús Chucho Sanoja (1926–1998), Venezuelan musician
    Jesús López-Cobos (b. 1940), Spanish conductor
    Jesús Martínez (b. 1976), Mexican boxer
    Jesús Montero (born 1989), Venezuelan baseball player
    Jesús Navas, Spanish football player
    Jesús Pérez (b. 1971), Colombian boxer
    Jesús Chávez (b. 1972), Mexican boxer
    Jesús Pérez (b. 1984), Venezuelan cyclist
    GG Allin was originally named Jesus Christ Allin
    James Jesus Angleton, Associate Deputy Director of Operations for Counter-Intelligence of the CIA

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »

It depends on what type of power you seek. The evil one had no power over Jesus because the lord was not interested in what  he was selling.

If you crave those earthly things that do not build treasure in Heaven, then yes evil has tremendous power.

We all struggle daily with this issue, but good can prevail with the Lord's help. We just have to ask him to help us and admit we are powerless.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:19:11 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

-I'll never live up to Him

-Life sucks

I'm sorry you get that from Jesus' message. I actually get just the opposite. But IMHO it's really important to read His words directly from the Gospels, and not filtered through the commentators. When you do, it becomes a lot clearer what He's trying to tell us.  Cool

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
tetepet

New convert

@GeeBabaa_
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 10:32:34 AM »

I learnt that sometime it is beat to just stop talking and walk away.(Luke 4:29-30)
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »

- The deliverance of one man may cost another man his livelihood. But God provides.
- It's ok to get mad and act strangely if you have a good reason.
- Love, despite what the song says, is not merely a second hand emotion.
- God cares about us. Like, a lot. You best care about him as well.
- Life sucks sometimes, even when you're God.
- Anyone can be redeemed. Incredibly, this is true even for the intelligentsia.
- Jesus was a resourceful guy.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »

I learnt that sometime it is beat to just stop talking and walk away.(Luke 4:29-30)

If you mean "best", I'm in full agreement.  If you mean "beat", I don't know what you mean.  Grin Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
tetepet

New convert

@GeeBabaa_
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »

If you mean "best", I'm in full agreement.  If you mean "beat", I don't know what you mean.  Grin Grin
Yeah I mean 'best'
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »

Correct. There are Genuine and True Christians. police

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: