OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:01:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it appropriate to depict God the Father in a image? ...  (Read 1598 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« on: July 17, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »

Is it appropriate to depict God the Father in a image?...

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »

Michelangelo obviously thought so.

Christ said those who had seen him had seen the father.   John 14:9  ►

New International Version (©2011)
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »

What non-Orthodox religious art does is one thing. It is not permitted in Orthodox iconography. There are several threads here where this matter has been discussed at very great length.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »

I was never directly aware of that, course now that I think of it I have never seen any in all the Greek Churches I have been in, which are many as I played Greek music in bands f or festivals all over the midwest and have seen the insides of most of them. 
And now that I think back there may have been a advanced sunday school class where that was discussed, but that was so long ago, I forgot about the issue.
Well I thank you , I learned something today.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:35:12 PM »

There is the icon that is called "the trinity" and it depicts Jesus seated at the right hand of God and the Holy spirit. I dont know if its canonical or alowed. i also was under the inpression that God cannot be depicted.

BUT and this topics timeing and subject is perfect for what i saw last sunday.
I went to St. Nikolaos cathedral, in Tarpon springs florida, and while its been a while since i have been there i was noticing a few changes to the iconography on the side walls by the doors. acutually i think it has been completly redone on both side doorways. when i noticed the changes i started looking around for more changes, and i looked up on the dome (from inside) and realised thet Jesus is no longer depicted on the dome, it is now the immage of...........God!!!?
does anyoe know anything abt this. The church had a very diffrent vibe this sunday that i and my mother noticed. the priest was a lot more meek and or humble. he is usually kinda on the assertive side. they also had what i belive was a special icon of the virgin with child but i belive it is a russian icon. oh and they also had a large glass box with two bottles of holy water and what looked to be like a bone piece of saint Nikolas. would love more info on anhy of this if someone knows anything.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »

There is the icon that is called "the trinity" and it depicts Jesus seated at the right hand of God and the Holy spirit. I dont know if its canonical or alowed. i also was under the inpression that God cannot be depicted.

Yes, such images exist, and many Orthodox churches and homes have them. However, such images are not proper, as they express false teachings about God the Father, and of the Holy Trinity.
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »

“Christ is the icon of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation” (Col 1:15)

That said then it is also God who we see when we look at an icon of Jesus.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 11:22:02 PM »

“Christ is the icon of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation” (Col 1:15)

That said then it is also God who we see when we look at an icon of Jesus.

Precisely.
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »

oh and they also had a large glass box with two bottles of holy water and what looked to be like a bone piece of saint Nikolas. would love more info on anhy of this if someone knows anything.

Those two bottles may be the "myrrh" which "sweats" from the relics of St Nicholas in Bari, Italy.  I don't know enough to write about it here, but information is available online.  About twelve years ago, I obtained two bottles of it from the shrine in Bari.  Back then, you could request it online; when I looked for it on their site last year, I couldn't find it.  

I presume the "myrrh" is diluted in water and that this water is what is distributed in bottles.  If the entire contents of the bottles are myrrh, well then I feel a lot more special.  Tongue  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 05:34:58 AM »

No, because The Father is unseen. Christ is actually unseen, too; He is physical only by taking on human nature, as well. So, The Holy Trinity is only knowable noetically, can only be seen with the eyes of the soul. Depicting The Father takes one very far from The Truth. Even icons of Christ should be approached as not to think that He is only human, or that He somehow mixed Himself with human nature (He only united Himself with human nature to teach us how be like Him, how to be gods).

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 05:44:08 AM »

No, because The Father is unseen. Christ is actually unseen, too; He is physical only by taking on human nature, as well. So, The Holy Trinity is only knowable noetically, can only be seen with the eyes of the soul. Depicting The Father takes one very far from The Truth. Even icons of Christ should be approached as not to think that He is only human, or that He somehow mixed Himself with human nature (He only united Himself with human nature to teach us how be like Him, how to be gods).

I'd be interested in seeing you justify your understanding of the Incarnation, by appealing to Orthodox sources.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 06:02:53 AM »

I'd be interested in seeing you justify your understanding of the Incarnation, by appealing to Orthodox sources.

Which part do you need justified? That Christ has two natures and is Theantropos, not anthropos?

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »

I'm sure Ioan can answer for himself, but here's just one Orthodox source, and there are many more I could quote from the inestimable St John of Damascus, other iconodule Fathers, and, of course, from the hymns of the Sunday of Orthodoxy:

Of old, the incorporeal and uncircumscribed God was not depicted at all. But now that God has appeared in the flesh and lived among men, I make an image of God who can be seen. I do not worship matter, but I worship the Creator of matter, who through matter effected my salvation. I will not cease to venerate the matter through which my salvation has been effected.

Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 09:59:48 AM »

Which part do you need justified? That Christ has two natures and is Theantropos, not anthropos?

I don't know about James, but I find the way you've expressed yourself at the end rather unclear.  Specifically this: "Even icons of Christ should be approached as not to think that He is only human, or that He somehow mixed Himself with human nature (He only united Himself with human nature to teach us how be like Him, how to be gods)."  Well, sure, there was no mixing of divinity with humanity, but when you say "He ONLY united Himself with human nature", what do you mean by that?   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »

Is it appropriate to depict God the Father in a image?...

It's not according to the canonical norms, but it can be found in some of our iconography.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »

I don't know about James, but I find the way you've expressed yourself at the end rather unclear.  Specifically this: "Even icons of Christ should be approached as not to think that He is only human, or that He somehow mixed Himself with human nature (He only united Himself with human nature to teach us how be like Him, how to be gods)."  Well, sure, there was no mixing of divinity with humanity, but when you say "He ONLY united Himself with human nature", what do you mean by that?   

I only meant to underline that there is no mixing with human nature (just union). I was trying to emphasize the fact that Christ has a distinct divine nature that leads the human. Humans don't have a divine nature, but are deified by God.  I know that human imagination is easily impressionable and it might start to think that Christ is actually some sort of hybrid of God and man, that His human nature adds something that His divine existence needs. However, I am not suggesting that His human nature is to be treated with disregard and is not worthy of being considered holy.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »

I only meant to underline that there is no mixing with human nature (just union). I was trying to emphasize the fact that Christ has a distinct divine nature that leads the human. Humans don't have a divine nature, but are deified by God.  I know that human imagination is easily impressionable and it might start to think that Christ is actually some sort of hybrid of God and man, that His human nature adds something that His divine existence needs. However, I am not suggesting that His human nature is to be treated with disregard and is not worthy of being considered holy.

My biggest problem was your claim that "Christ is actually unseen, too."  Christ was unseen.  Christ cannot be described as unseen from the point of the Incarnation onward.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

My biggest problem was your claim that "Christ is actually unseen, too."  Christ was unseen.  Christ cannot be described as unseen from the point of the Incarnation onward.

He was unseen when he hid in the temple from the Jews wanting to stone him. Smiley

For the OP's question, what about icons of the trinity, that would depict the Father - more or less directly?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 12:35:45 AM »

For the OP's question, what about icons of the trinity, that would depict the Father - more or less directly?

Have you not read all the posts in this thread?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 12:51:40 AM »

What one thinks of as the quintessential icon of the Holy Trinity, by St. Andrei Rublev, is not explicitly of the Holy Trinity, but of the Hospitality of Abraham. But St. Andrei used that theme and the understanding thereof to make an icon of the Holy Trinity. So it isn't, and yet it is, but it still isn't, and still is. Get it? Good.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »

A real icon is about $700 dollars for a parish

Print icons are not real and are reproductions
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:28:27 PM by WPM » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »

All the laity, clergy, and even saints who pray before reproduced/cheap/whatever icons will be quite shocked to hear this. Some even use paper icons--no wood involved... what a scandal!  Kiss
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:04:44 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 11:54:28 PM »

Nonsense. If this were so, then what of the myrrh-streaming icon of St Nicholas of Myra, which is a mounted print? It is one of innumerable miraculous icons that are mounted or framed prints. Your comment is also a huge insult to the countless Orthodox folks all over the world who have never had the chance to "own" painted icons.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »

A real icon has historic value and usually belongs to a famous monastery. (Nizni Novgorod or Our Lady of Tikvin)

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 02:31:56 PM »

A real icon has historic value and usually belongs to a famous monastery. (Nizni Novgorod or Our Lady of Tikvin)

You really need to stop getting your theological information from the Greek Tourism Bureau.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »

The icon of The Holy Trinity as angels, as they revealed themselves in The Old Testament, basically shows Christ in the posture of an angel. And we know that Christ is The Angel of Great Council (to the angels in heaven). I say this with regards to previous comments I made about Christ divine/spiritual nature. Also notable is that The Father and The Spirit appeared together with Christ, as angels as well, whereas They never revealed themselves as humans -- and this makes me think it is (among other things) because They are rather spirits than men (yet they are not angels either, but God, in reality).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:45:01 PM by IoanC » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »

You really need to stop getting your theological information from the Greek Tourism Bureau.

QFT

And start attending a church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »

Nonsense. If this were so, then what of the myrrh-streaming icon of St Nicholas of Myra, which is a mounted print? It is one of innumerable miraculous icons that are mounted or framed prints. Your comment is also a huge insult to the countless Orthodox folks all over the world who have never had the chance to "own" painted icons.
Funny that this is an adequate defense for printed icons, but not for uncanonical ones.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »

I think I would fit in (among people) in Greece.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:39:31 PM by WPM » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 07:43:19 PM »

Funny that this is an adequate defense for printed icons, but not for uncanonical ones.

The Church has, repeatedly and often, denounced certain imagery as uncanonical and unsuitable for veneration. The Church has never denounced printed icons of canonical content as unsuitable for veneration.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »

I think I would fit in (among people) in Greece.  Smiley

I doubt it. The vast majority of people there have only prints in their icon corners, and their churches have large numbers of printed icons.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:45:29 PM by LBK » Logged
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »

WPM is definitely my favorite poster on OC.net  police
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »

Isn't it done with the Hospitality of Abraham?

Thank you.
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »

Isn't it done with the Hospitality of Abraham?
They are in the form of angels, so it is not the Father in "original form."
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »

Telling the truth is not an insult
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 11:12:02 PM »

Tell us why you think printed icons aren't "real". When I write about icons, I give my reasons. Time for you to explain and defend your position.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:25 AM »

What one thinks of as the quintessential icon of the Holy Trinity, by St. Andrei Rublev, is not explicitly of the Holy Trinity, but of the Hospitality of Abraham. But St. Andrei used that theme and the understanding thereof to make an icon of the Holy Trinity. So it isn't, and yet it is, but it still isn't, and still is. Get it? Good.

Haha, I get it. Smiley   

What about icons such as these depicting God the Father?

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »

Haha, I get it. Smiley  

Yes, they exist, yesh. No, they are not canonical. Anyway, why do you care, with your attitude to icons?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:45:00 AM by LBK » Logged
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 01:40:31 AM »

The Church has, repeatedly and often, denounced certain imagery as uncanonical and unsuitable for veneration. The Church has never denounced printed icons of canonical content as unsuitable for veneration.
Oh I very much agree, I find that a better defense.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »

Haha, I get it. Smiley  

Yes, they exist, yesh. No, they are not canonical. Anyway, why do you care, with your attitude to icons?

Nothing is in concrete brother.   I know it may make me sound like I suffer from multiple personality disorder.  LOL.   But I go to the depths of my arguments on other sections here on the forum.  Perhaps some would see it as I'm gushing out deep faith issues...  I think I see it as I seek answers because I haven't closed the door on EO.

If I return to the church someday, I want to do it knowing I left no stone unturned, that my questions are either answered, with peace, or put to rest. - and that's really the honest & fair way I can do it.  I don't know if it will happen, but obviously I've been on here for a while now.  Often reading more than posting.   When one of my questions goes to the limits and everybody wants to ring my neck, I try to take a break.  Wink

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 02:39:19 AM »

Haha, I get it. Smiley  

Nothing is in concrete brother.   I know it may make me sound like I suffer from multiple personality disorder.  LOL.   But I go to the depths of my arguments on other sections here on the forum.  Perhaps some would see it as I'm gushing out deep faith issues...  I think I see it as I seek answers because I haven't closed the door on EO.

If I return to the church someday, I want to do it knowing I left no stone unturned, that my questions are either answered, with peace, or put to rest. - and that's really the honest & fair way I can do it.  I don't know if it will happen, but obviously I've been on here for a while now.  Often reading more than posting.   When one of my questions goes to the limits and everybody wants to ring my neck, I try to take a break.  Wink

You've started, and/or contributed to, several threads where iconography is the theme. Many folks here have bent over backwards in providing answers to your questions, including ample refutations from history the writings of the Fathers, from scripture, and from the liturgical deposit, of your repeated refusal to accept icons as a proper and necessary part of Orthodox devotional practice.

Yet, in the face of all this evidence, you continue to reject icons and their veneration, most recently in the thread you yourself started.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »

Tell us why you think printed icons aren't "real". When I write about icons, I give my reasons. Time for you to explain and defend your position.

Gold Tempura eggshell paint adds the quality luxor touch
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »

Gold Tempura eggshell paint adds the quality luxor touch

Whelp, I'm convinced.
Tags: Ancient of Days 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: