OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:47:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Valley fever' a potential threat in the U.S. Southwest  (Read 156 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »

Valley fever is multiplying in the U.S. Southwest. The condition involves a fungal spore that carries coccidioidomycosis; once breathed in through contact with soil, it apparently has no cure. When gusts of wind rise up, the spores can be brought through town, infecting new sufferers. Cases have skyrocketed in the last several years.

From the article:
Described by the Centers for Disease Control as a silent epidemic, 22,401 new infections were recorded across the US in 2011, mostly in the south-west, up tenfold from 1998.

Although two-thirds of those infected suffer no symptoms, and the illness is not contagious, about 160 people die each year when the fungus spreads beyond the lungs to the brain.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »

Yikes!  Poor people who live there.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »

Yikes!  Poor people who live there.

I just knew there was a reason I live in Maryland  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »

Bakersfield, California, and Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona are not cities in which you would want to live especially with the dry wind/dust storms carrying Valley Fever and all the agricultural-chemical spraying that goes on.

I wonder if the monks at St. Anthony Monastery in Arizona are being affected? Perhaps being out in the sticks helps.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:22:37 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Antonis
Prodigal
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

"My Lord and my God!"

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »

Bakersfield, California, and Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona are not cities in which you would want to live especially with the dry wind/dust storms carrying Valley Fever and all the agricultural-chemical spraying that goes on.

I wonder if the monks at St. Anthony Monastery in Arizona are being affected? Perhaps being out in the sticks helps.
I personally do not know anyone who has suffered from it, including the monks at St. Anthony's, though I had a dog that acquired it once.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:30:41 PM by Antonis » Logged

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
Tags: valley fever  health 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: