OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 08:06:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autocephaly problem: history and present  (Read 240 times) Average Rating: 0
orthoreader
Elder

Faith: orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Los Angeles and the West

« on: July 17, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »

I found this lecture by Fr. John Erickson pretty interesting and wished to share it. He talks pretty openly about teaching on Autocephaly and a future Council.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaFhJGj1kh4&feature=youtu.be

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »

I found this lecture by Fr. John Erickson pretty interesting and wished to share it. He talks pretty openly about teaching on Autocephaly and a future Council.

I'll have to check that out!

Honestly, I think it should be a system that only Autocephalous Patriarchates can grant Autocephaly. But historically, from what I've seen, it is quite vague. Many have unilaterally declared autocephaly or autonomy, which leads to a schism, which is later repaired and autocephaly is granted anyway later. So for them it could be debated whether it came from the unilateral act, or the official recognition.

I know today that many Orthodox Churches, at least here in America, commune Macedonian Orthodox, recognizing that the schism is political and just having to do with autocephaly vs. autonomy.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »

Awww, Erickson!  A wonderful man.  I look forward to watching this. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
orthoreader
Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »

Yes Fr. John is great!

This is actually the second time I've heard the notion that there was a period in the Church's history that Autocephaly was not granted just occurred and that it wasn't used as a means for hegemony.

Makes me think that with some of these 'pending' Churches that an EC should just pull an ecclesiastical-audit to see if they're working within the canons and then just grant a sweeping autocephaly for all of them so they can start working things out Eucharistically.
orthoreader
Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »

I'll have to check that out!

Honestly, I think it should be a system that only Autocephalous Patriarchates can grant Autocephaly. But historically, from what I've seen, it is quite vague. Many have unilaterally declared autocephaly or autonomy, which leads to a schism, which is later repaired and autocephaly is granted anyway later. So for them it could be debated whether it came from the unilateral act, or the official recognition.

I know today that many Orthodox Churches, at least here in America, commune Macedonian Orthodox, recognizing that the schism is political and just having to do with autocephaly vs. autonomy.

I know that most Macedonian Orthodox have been treated with the greatest of respect in NA. I also have knowledge that the MOC's mysteries are not in question.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »

"...related not as parts of a whole but on the principle of mutual identity..."
THAT's it!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: