OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 01:26:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I'm converting.  (Read 998 times) Average Rating: 0
gueranger

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: July 16, 2013, 11:36:15 PM »

Hey everybody. I'm a Roman Catholic, but I'm pretty sure I'm converting to Orthodoxy. The two closest churches to me are about 45-50 minutes away in opposite directions. Of course I will visit both, and make arrangements to speak with the priests there, but I was wondering if anyone could share insights on what to expect based on the jurisdictions. If that is a stupid thing to ask, just ignore me.

One is ACROD, the other is GOA.

About an hour to an hour and a half away I could also drive to a ROCOR parish.

Thanks for your insights. 

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:42:34 PM »

I can't comment on much. I like Carpatho Russian (ACROD) plain chant, but maybe that's just me. Good luck!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »

God bless you in your journey.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ErmyCath

Faith: Roman Catholic (inquiring with GOA)
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Mobile

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:05:13 AM »

Welcome back!

"You must have an opinion on everything and loudly confront everyone with it." - Cyrillic
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »

I have never attended parishes of either of those jurisdictions, but I would definitely recommend contacting the priests of both and speaking with them.  IMHO, the quality of the priest is much more important than the jurisdiction.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:29:34 AM »

Hey everybody. I'm a Roman Catholic, but I'm pretty sure I'm converting to Orthodoxy. The two closest churches to me are about 45-50 minutes away in opposite directions. Of course I will visit both, and make arrangements to speak with the priests there, but I was wondering if anyone could share insights on what to expect based on the jurisdictions. If that is a stupid thing to ask, just ignore me.

One is ACROD, the other is GOA.

About an hour to an hour and a half away I could also drive to a ROCOR parish.

Thanks for your insights. 

I would visit all 3.  The best parishes I have attended have been ROCOR parishes, but in these parishes the priests were not Russian, the services were done mostly in English, and the parishes had many converts from other backgrounds.  Some ROCOR parishes are mostly Russian, use mostly Slavonic, and may be very difficult for a convert. 
gueranger

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »

Jah, what would you say made ROCOR "best" in your experience? Was it the liturgy, homilies, community, etc.?

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »

Welcome!  I'm so glad to hear this!  Glory be to God!!!!

Definitely check out all three parishes.  An extra 30 minute drive may well be worth it, if you find that you feel more "at home" in the ROCOR parish than the others.

Either go with no expectations and see which one "feels" right, or have a list of expectations...and observe which one meets them the best.

One cannot say that ACROD, is better than GOA (GOARCH), than ROCOR.  They are all part of the Church.  What will vary are their small T traditions.  The way they look, sound and feel.  If you are not ethnically drawn to a particular one than simply go visit each one, pick up a bulletin, read up on them, listen to them, see if they offer classes (if that's what you are interested in), how many services they have during the week, etc.

You won't go wrong at either one.

God bless you on your journey Home!

I'm very happy for you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Martyr Eugenia

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »

Jah, what would you say made ROCOR "best" in your experience? Was it the liturgy, homilies, community, etc.?

I'm not Jah, but as a baptized-but-never-confirmed former Roman Catholic inquiring into Orthodoxy I settled on ROCOR. The liturgy is the same, the singing is different (not chant but harmonized 4-part) it just more familiar to my westernized ears. It came down to having a priest that was available and the community was mostly cradle Orthodox/Old-World (I was raised by cradle, Old-World Catholics) so it fits better.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 12:44:05 AM »

I'm not Jah

You're not? Darn. I was hoping you could tell me what happens to ecumenists when they die. Grin

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
gueranger

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:37:19 PM »

Although it is the furthest from my location, I think I've decided on ROCOR. I was extremely impressed with the priest and the faithful there.

The Greek Church I visited celebrates the liturgy mostly in Greek. I didn't think that would be an issue for me, having been so attached to the TLM, but its a little different with the Divine Liturgy. I liked hearing it in English at the ROCOR Church. The Carpatho Russian Church was beautiful and all in English, but is not as conveniently located at the ROCOR Church. (wrong direction from where I usually travel) 

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:50 PM »

Independent American Orthodox
#1Sinner
Moderated

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 06:28:07 PM »

Although it is the furthest from my location, I think I've decided on ROCOR. I was extremely impressed with the priest and the faithful there.

The Greek Church I visited celebrates the liturgy mostly in Greek. I didn't think that would be an issue for me, having been so attached to the TLM, but its a little different with the Divine Liturgy. I liked hearing it in English at the ROCOR Church. The Carpatho Russian Church was beautiful and all in English, but is not as conveniently located at the ROCOR Church. (wrong direction from where I usually travel) 

Excellent! God Bless you on your journey.

I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.
gueranger

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »

Independent American Orthodox

What does that mean?

VarangianGuard

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:18:33 AM »

Interesting that language actually turned out to be an issue, with your background and all.
You are probably more advanced in Orthodoxy than I am at this point, so there may be something surprising in store for me as well regarding that.
So far, though, it has not been an issue. I either hear the Liturgy in my native language(when at home) or in Russian, Polish or Ukrainian (when I abroad working) and since I cannot speak neither of those 3 mentioned, I hear the Liturgy in the same way I heard the TLM, focusing on what takes place rather than understanding the language, since that is impossible at this point. (I understand maybe 10%)
I've also attended when Old Slavonic has been used and I have to say that I was impressed by it without actually understanding. That could be only the fact that it is so old, since I am genetically disposed to favour the old and ancient in any case Smiley
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »

@VarangianGuard, where do you attend Liturrgy in Polish?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
VarangianGuard

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »

@VarangianGuard, where do you attend Liturrgy in Polish?

I am not attending in Polish normally, but once, around a year ago, I briefly attended in Swidnica. They used some Polish that time (as far as I could tell)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: