OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:13:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the merits of pole dancing...  (Read 823 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: July 16, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »

So my wife's friend has decided to take up pole dancing as a fun form of exercise.  It is taught by a local instructor and many helpful tips and techniques are taught and explained.  Because of my great concern for my wife's cardiac health, I recommended she join her friend in this aerobic exercise as a means of staying fit.  I even offered to install a pole in our home wherever she would prefer to have it.  To my shock and disappointment, my wife has notified me that she does not intend to take advantage of my offer even when I said I would pay for these lesson out of my own private spending account.  Fellow brothers and sisters, please help me come up with the best possible argument to convince my wife of the benefits of this fun-filled hobby.

Asteriktos, I have high hopes for your recommendations on how to deal with this unfortunate set of circumstances.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

I'm not gonna touch this with my ten foot pole.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:10:53 PM »

I'm not gonna touch this with my ten foot pole.
So you recommend a 10 foot pole?  This is good to know.  I was wondering on the height of such poles.  I might have to take out a piece of the ceiling to make it fit though...

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »

No offense, but does your wife think that you are more interested in watching her pole dance rather than having her pole dance for her health?  Drop the pole dance idea and suggest she try walking, jogging, biking, swimming, or some other cardio workout, which her doctor would approve.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »

Some women are not ready for the rigors of pole dancing. Even the mid-level techniques takes a certain level of muscularity and unheaviness that some women haven't achieved. Perhaps have her start on something that is easier to get into, like nude yoga? There will be little up front cost, and she can invite some of the ladies from the neighborhood over to the house to do it with her. Now, one word of advice: there is a ton of misinformation on the internet about yoga making you "long and lean" and stuff like that, so if she reads that stuff by all means encourage her, and don't let more factual information get in the way.

I would be willing to waive my normal fee and give your wife advice, just have her email me pics of the yoga sessions. Good luck!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »

No offense, but does your wife think that you are more interested in watching her pole dance rather than having her pole dance for her health?  Drop the pole dance idea and suggest she try walking, jogging, biking, swimming, or some other cardio workout, which her doctor would approve.
what?  WHAT?  What would possibly give you that idea?  Wink

Clearly, my only motivation for this is to allow a good workout of both upper and lower body muscles while developing balance and muscle control.  I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that anyone would even contemplate other possibilities.  Grin

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »

Some women are not ready for the rigors of pole dancing. Even the mid-level techniques takes a certain level of muscularity and unheaviness that some women haven't achieved. Perhaps have her start on something that is easier to get into, like nude yoga? There will be little up front cost, and she can invite some of the ladies from the neighborhood over to the house to do it with her. Now, one word of advice: there is a ton of misinformation on the internet about yoga making you "long and lean" and stuff like that, so if she reads that stuff by all means encourage her, and don't let more factual information get in the way.

I would be willing to waive my normal fee and give your wife advice, just have her email me pics of the yoga sessions. Good luck!
This is most generous, Asteriktos.  I appreciate you being willing to give up your fee just to help the wife of a fellow forumer.  Truly, you have a a heart of gold.  I shall approach her with your suggestion and will notify you of her response.  No doubt, she will be equally grateful of such generosity on your part.

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:16:24 PM »

here's video of some pole dancing (it's pretty tame):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdrjEW44UTQ
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:17:00 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »

here's video of some pole dancing (it's pretty tame):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdrjEW44UTQ
LOL, that is awesome!  I'll bet MK would be into this.  laugh

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:38:16 PM »

All that Gnosticism's really got you going, doesn't it?

When I read this thread, the first thing that popped into my mind was that bizarre, lanky "Sex Magic" guy out in New Mexico.  An Orthodox version of that would be interesting.  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 08:24:53 AM »

All that Gnosticism's really got you going, doesn't it?

When I read this thread, the first thing that popped into my mind was that bizarre, lanky "Sex Magic" guy out in New Mexico.  An Orthodox version of that would be interesting.  Tongue

LOL, this is what happens when I get wound up by gnostics, apparently.  Cheesy

elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »

Dear Trisagion,

I agree that the lively tempo and the energetic steps of the polka should provide both enjoyment and cardivascular benefits.  It is interesting to note that the polka was introduced as a wholesome alternative to the licentious waltz.  Since the polka is designed for couples, you will be able to get in shape as well.

Love, elephant
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:04:17 AM »

I need to report this thread to a moderator.  I think Asteriktos hacked TheTrisigion's account.  This has all the makings of an *tos story.  He even responded to himself just to throw you off.  This is a grave violation of forum rules.  Please look into this.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »

I need to report this thread to a moderator.  I think Asteriktos hacked TheTrisigion's account.  This has all the makings of an *tos story.  He even responded to himself just to throw you off.  This is a grave violation of forum rules.  Please look into this.
Hey!  Where did this thread come from?  Who made such an unholy thread dedicated to the licentious dancing of my wife in my name.  IS OUTRAGE!  Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »

The polka is a gateway dance to the true national pastime: the horizontal polka. Let's get busy and shake like an accordion!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »

I need to report this thread to a moderator.  I think Asteriktos hacked TheTrisigion's account.  This has all the makings of an *tos story.  He even responded to himself just to throw you off.  This is a grave violation of forum rules.  Please look into this.
Hey!  Where did this thread come from?  Who made such an unholy thread dedicated to the licentious dancing of my wife in my name.  IS OUTRAGE!  Grin

Hacking? There was no hacking involved. I am outraged! After I slipped him the knockout drug I asked several times whether it was ok to post using his user name. He did nothing but drool in approval.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:11:37 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »

The polka is a gateway dance to the true national pastime: the horizontal polka. Let's get busy and shake like an accordion!

LOL!  Curse you Asteriktos, I laughed out loud at work and now I'm receiving strange sideways glances from my coworkers.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »

You can always suggest putting up a trellis in the garden and have fun all around multiple poles... angel

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommending giving up entirely on the pole dancing thing. It is a very useful skill to have, very practical.

Haven't we all found ourselves in a situation like this?

Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »

Alright, some of you guys need to go and take a cold shower and come back when you are ready to post something germaine to a Christian forum.  I'm going to lock this thread for now until there is more of a consensus amongst the moderators on whether to leave it locked or to open it again.

Pravoslavbob

Non-religious topics moderator

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »

The moderatorial team has decided that this thread shall remain locked.

Pravoslavbob
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:04:15 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: