OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 02:39:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is needing, or wanting to worshiping a God a human defect or benefit?  (Read 4612 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »

Our present secular systems of governance have bested the Gods in the moral and legal senses

Indeed, under secularism we have reached the pinnacle of morality now that we can murder babies and sick people. Only ignorant, old-fashioned rednecks would oppose such improvements.

In the story od David and Bathsheba, they sinned yet God punished their child.
Do you prefer God's method of torture for 7 days before the killing?

At least we do not encourage rape and slavery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx7irFN2gdI

Would you prefer living by God's barbaric laws?
Are you ready to pick up stones to stone unruly children or people wearing two different clots?

Regards
DL
Rape, torture and slavery?  What are you talking about?

Punch those word and bible into google and read.

I see that you are not upset with God torturing a child for 7 days before killing it.

Nice morals pal.

Regards
DL
You have no idea what you are talking about.  Nice way of looking at things with an extremely narrow and personal view of what you want things to be instead of how they are.  You have come to the wrong corner of the Internet universe to attempt slander against Orthodoxy. 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2013, 09:16:08 PM »

You seem to have used "G" rather than "g" several times.

Your point?

Regards
DL
You should fix yourself. There is one God and many false gods.

If God did not want false Gods then he would not sin by lying to prophets now would he.

Care to tell us why he would do such a thing?

Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee.
1Kings 22:23

Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets.
2 Chron 18:22

Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people.
Jer 4:10

O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived. Jer 20:7

And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet.
Ezekiel 14:9

For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie.
Thessalonians 2:11

To me, God’s worse lie was to Adam and Eve. He told them they could eat of the tree of life and then reneged and in a real sense murdered them by denying them a remedy.

Regards
DL
What bothers me are the lies you spread.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »

That was a decent movie, too bad there's only a 10 minute clip there. Have you seen the end of it, btw? The ending might surprise you if you are going only by that clip taken out of context...

I have seen it all and it is on the net for all to see.

I was surprised a bit on the ending but as a Gnostic Christian, I promote spiritual seeking and have no problem with their stance.

I have spoken to many Jews and most seem brighter than the average Christian.

The more literal or fundamental believers are, from any religion, the less they seem able to think for themselves.

Regards
DL
The irony is, you interpret Scripture exactly how fundamentalist protestants do.

As an FYI, your post walk dangerously close to proselytizing which is banned as per forum rules.  Wouldn't want you to get whapped with the ban stick.  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Gnostic

« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »

You forget that a loving and moral God would not create an immoral construct called hell.

That certainly is an opinion, even if its incorrect.  Tell me, just how is it you can dictate how, what and the reasoning of God?

I expect a God to take the moral high ground. Don't you?

Judgment and punishment go hand in hand.

Our human laws have a form of punishment where the penalty is graduated to fit the crime. An eye for an eye type of justice.
God‘s punishment seems to surpass this standard.

The definition I am comparing here is the eternal fire and torture type of hell and I am not particularly interested in the myriad of other definitions and theories that some use to supplant this traditional view.

To ascertain if hell would be a moral construct or not, all you need do is answer these
simple question for yourself.

1. Is it good justice for a soul to be able to sin for only 120 years and then have to suffer torture for 12000000000000000000000000 + years?

2. Is it good justice for small or mediocre sinners to have to bear the same sentence as Hitler, Stalin and other genocidal maniacs?

This might actually include God if you see Noah’s flood as God using genocide and not justice against man. Pardon the digression.

Punishment is usually only given to change attitude or actions and cause the sinner to repent.

3. Is it good justice to continue to torture a soul in hell if no change in attitude or actions are to result?

4. If you answered yes to these questions, then would killing the soul not be a better form of justice than to torture it for no possible good result or purpose?

Is hell a moral construct or not?

Please explain your reasons and know that ---just because you think God created it ---does not explain your moral judgment. It is your view I seek and not God’s as no one can speak for God.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »

The question is based on a false premise, I believe. Just as God gave us His Only Son out of love and I believe He is loved neither out of some mechanical need or defect. If there is a defect anywhere maybe it is the inability or unwillingness to grasp this.

Gave us Jesus out of love. How droll.

It was God's plan from the beginning to have Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit. This can be demonstrated by the fact that the bible says that Jesus "was crucified from the foundations of the Earth," that is to say, God planned to crucify Jesus as atonement for sin before he even created human beings or God damned sin.

1Peter 1:20 0 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

This indicates that Jesus had no choice.

If God had not intended humans to sin from the beginning, why did he build into the Creation this "solution" for sin? Why create a solution for a problem you do not anticipate?

God knew that the moment he said "don't eat from that tree," the die was cast. The eating was inevitable. Eve was merely following the plan.

This then begs the question.

What kind of God would plan and execute the murder of his own son when there was absolutely no need to?

Only an insane God. That’s who.

The cornerstone of Christianity is human sacrifice, thus showing it‘s immorality.

One of Christianity's highest form of immorality is what they have done to women.
They have denied them equality and subjugated them to men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN8EYIIR3g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dspWh9g3hU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c0RFxXrYzg&feature=related

Tell us all my friend.

If you had God's powers and decided a barbaric human sacrifice was needed, would you do the right thing and step up to your own requirements or would you send your child?

Should sons bury fathers or should fathers bury sons.

You do not like your answers. Right?

That is why I do not like your God.

Regards
DL

It's a good thing the world has you to clarify how insane God is.

You agree and that is why you do not like your own answers to the simple questions I pose and you refuse to answer.

Regards
DL
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2013, 09:22:34 PM »

You forget that a loving and moral God would not create an immoral construct called hell.

That certainly is an opinion, even if its incorrect.  Tell me, just how is it you can dictate how, what and the reasoning of God?

Our human laws have a form of punishment where the penalty is graduated to fit the crime. An eye for an eye type of justice.

The definition I am comparing here is the eternal fire and torture type of hell and I am not particularly interested in the myriad of other definitions and theories that some use to supplant this traditional view.

To ascertain if hell would be a moral construct or not, all you need do is answer these

1. Is it good justice for a soul to be able to sin for only 120 years and then have to suffer torture for 12000000000000000000000000 + years?

2. Is it good justice for small or mediocre sinners to have to bear the same sentence as Hitler, Stalin and other genocidal maniacs?

This might actually include God if you see Noah’s flood as God using genocide and not justice against man. Pardon the digression.

Punishment is usually only given to change attitude or actions and cause the sinner to repent.

3. Is it good justice to continue to torture a soul in hell if no change in attitude or actions are to result?

4. If you answered yes to these questions, then would killing the soul not be a better form of justice than to torture it for no possible good result or purpose?

Please explain your reasons and know that ---just because you think God created it ---does not explain your moral judgment. It is your view I seek and not God’s as no one can speak for God.

Regards
DL

When you are interested in learning about Orthodoxy, let me know.  Until then, I'll pass on the spreading of your version of Gnosticism, which we know as a heretical religion.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2013, 09:22:50 PM »

The light within me when I activate it just as Jesus says it is. A realm of nothing but though. A cosmic consciousness.

Light may be seen as enlightenment because in reality, that place is not bright at all.

This is it for me today. Duty calls.

How convenient. 

Where does Jesus say that the light you activate within is "a realm of nothing but though (sic)...A cosmic consciousness"?  Nothing you quoted from his words in the Gospels is nearly that esoteric.   

Now I get hell for visiting one of my sons in the hospital.

A good way to draw me to your religion.

Listen. Learn. If you are capable. It is all from Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

Regards
DL

Oh, boo hoo. Where did anyone here "give you hell for visiting one of your own sons in the hospital"?  Angry

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:18 PM »

I usually disagree with Kerdy on most things, but this is one of those threads that I appreciate his bluntness and unevasive approach to the nonsense that spews forth.  Grin

But like him, I do not see you answering simple questions because they show God's true colors and morals.

Regards
DL
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »

Regards
DL

1. Is it good justice for a soul to be able to sin for only 120 years and then have to suffer torture for 12000000000000000000000000 + years? - Orthodoxy does not teach this

2. Is it good justice for small or mediocre sinners to have to bear the same sentence as Hitler, Stalin and other genocidal maniacs? - Orthodoxy does not teach this.

3. Is it good justice to continue to torture a soul in hell if no change in attitude or actions are to result? - Orthodoxy does not teach this.

4. If you answered yes to these questions, then would killing the soul not be a better form of justice than to torture it for no possible good result or purpose? - Since none of your premises are taught by Orthodoxy, this question is moot.

Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2013, 09:25:11 PM »

Martin who?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qnsTr7I04

Regards
DL
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »

I usually disagree with Kerdy on most things, but this is one of those threads that I appreciate his bluntness and unevasive approach to the nonsense that spews forth.  Grin

But like him, I do not see you answering simple questions because they show God's true colors and morals.

Regards
DL
I really can't answer your questions because they aren't what we believe.  It is like me stating the grass is green and you countering by arguing that a Ford F-150 is a better truck than a Dodge Ram.  Your questions have nothing to do with our faith.

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »

As I said, who?  He was not Orthodox. In the event that you haven't noticed you are on orthodoxchristianity.net, not lutheranchristianity.net

Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »

I like to use the term evolving perfection for nature. Otherwise, a perfect God or nature becomes a stagnant pool of information and our souls and consciousness as a part of that perfection would be useless to the universe.

Evolving, the perfection of whatever God and nature was, to whatever God and nature will be, means we have to think this way, unless you see God as somehow losing his initial perfection. This is not allowed in a perfect God’s or natures repertoire.
To say that God evolves or changes means that there are limitations to this God.  I would say that perhaps men's understanding of God evolves, but for God Himself to evolve, you remove a basic essence of who God is, the Unmoved Mover, in the words of Aristotle.

Your God had to break his own commandment of coveting another man's woman to reproduce and then became a deadbeat dad and shunned his reproductive responsibility. Quite immoral that.

This shows definitively that God has limits. He cannot reproduce true.

Refute that if you can.

Then again, you guys do not seem refute much of anything. You just deny like children.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »

I did not postulate anything. I asked a question and above I wrote that self-serving was natural between a child and parent. That does not apply to a God and thus I wanted clarification.

You did not provide it.

No prayer's more natural than "Our Father in heaven", don't you think?

Some deserve love and some hate.
Or are you saying that those that God hates he is wrong for hating?

God does not deal with us according to our merits. His mercy outweighs His justice, as well as our "merits".

Sure. He showed that mercy to A & E the first time they did their will and not his. He murdered them by neglect and keeping them from what would keep them alive.

Today, any judge would slide his immoral ass into a jail cell and he would be well justified.

Or do you think that was anything other than murder?

Regards
DL

It is comments like these that demonstrate you don't really have any understanding of Orthodox teachings.  If you want to criticize Scripture based on outright literal interpretations, perhaps your time would be better spent at the Fundamentalist Christian forums here: http://www.christianforums.com/f370/ You will at least be speaking the same language as them.

You do not believe that Adam and Eve were real?

Someone else here talked about them as real.
No wonder you guys do not liker to inform. Some here do not know their own dogma.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2013, 09:37:58 PM »

Our present secular systems of governance have bested the Gods in the moral and legal senses

Indeed, under secularism we have reached the pinnacle of morality now that we can murder babies and sick people. Only ignorant, old-fashioned rednecks would oppose such improvements.

In the story od David and Bathsheba, they sinned yet God punished their child.
Do you prefer God's method of torture for 7 days before the killing?

Would you prefer living by God's barbaric laws?
Are you ready to pick up stones to stone unruly children or people wearing two different clots?

Regards
DL
Rape, torture and slavery?  What are you talking about?

Punch those word and bible into google and read.

I see that you are not upset with God torturing a child for 7 days before killing it.

Nice morals pal.

Regards
DL
You have no idea what you are talking about.  Nice way of looking at things with an extremely narrow and personal view of what you want things to be instead of how they are.  You have come to the wrong corner of the Internet universe to attempt slander against Orthodoxy. 

At least you are bright enough to not bother denying your poor morals.

Regards
DL
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »

I like to use the term evolving perfection for nature. Otherwise, a perfect God or nature becomes a stagnant pool of information and our souls and consciousness as a part of that perfection would be useless to the universe.

Evolving, the perfection of whatever God and nature was, to whatever God and nature will be, means we have to think this way, unless you see God as somehow losing his initial perfection. This is not allowed in a perfect God’s or natures repertoire.
To say that God evolves or changes means that there are limitations to this God.  I would say that perhaps men's understanding of God evolves, but for God Himself to evolve, you remove a basic essence of who God is, the Unmoved Mover, in the words of Aristotle.

Your God had to break his own commandment of coveting another man's woman to reproduce and then became a deadbeat dad and shunned his reproductive responsibility. Quite immoral that.
At first I laughed loudly, then I realized you were serious and became very sad.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »

So, proselytizing, ad hominems- anyone want to start a poll on how long until Flick Flack/GIA/whoever gets the big red blot?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »

You seem to have used "G" rather than "g" several times.

Your point?

Regards
DL
You should fix yourself. There is one God and many false gods.

If God did not want false Gods then he would not sin by lying to prophets now would he.

Care to tell us why he would do such a thing?

Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee.
1Kings 22:23

Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets.
2 Chron 18:22

Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people.
Jer 4:10

O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived. Jer 20:7

And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet.
Ezekiel 14:9

For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie.
Thessalonians 2:11

To me, God’s worse lie was to Adam and Eve. He told them they could eat of the tree of life and then reneged and in a real sense murdered them by denying them a remedy.

Regards
DL
What bothers me are the lies you spread.

Name one and let's debate liar.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »

That was a decent movie, too bad there's only a 10 minute clip there. Have you seen the end of it, btw? The ending might surprise you if you are going only by that clip taken out of context...

I have seen it all and it is on the net for all to see.

I was surprised a bit on the ending but as a Gnostic Christian, I promote spiritual seeking and have no problem with their stance.

I have spoken to many Jews and most seem brighter than the average Christian.

The more literal or fundamental believers are, from any religion, the less they seem able to think for themselves.

Regards
DL
The irony is, you interpret Scripture exactly how fundamentalist protestants do.

As an FYI, your post walk dangerously close to proselytizing which is banned as per forum rules.  Wouldn't want you to get whapped with the ban stick.  Wink

If my preaching Jesus and his methods offends those here who can ban then I do not want to be here.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2013, 09:45:54 PM »

Regards
DL

When you are interested in learning about Orthodoxy, let me know.  Until then, I'll pass on the spreading of your version of Gnosticism, which we know as a heretical religion.

Is that synonymous with more moral?

Yet morally, I put the run on you I see.

Pathetic you are.

And you think God will let you into heaven. How droll.

Regards
DL

Let's see... In just the last few posts you called a poster pathetic and a liar. You also did this within hours of coming off Post Moderation that you drew for being similarly rude and disrespectful. You have thus shown that you are here only to flame us and that you have no intent of making yourself a welcome member of our community. Therefore, you are being placed back on Post Moderation for the duration of 99 days. Engage in this behavior again so soon after you come off Moderated status, and you will likely be muted or banned.

If you feel this action is wrong, please appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:48:34 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »

Regards
DL

1. Is it good justice for a soul to be able to sin for only 120 years and then have to suffer torture for 12000000000000000000000000 + years? - Orthodoxy does not teach this

2. Is it good justice for small or mediocre sinners to have to bear the same sentence as Hitler, Stalin and other genocidal maniacs? - Orthodoxy does not teach this.

3. Is it good justice to continue to torture a soul in hell if no change in attitude or actions are to result? - Orthodoxy does not teach this.

4. If you answered yes to these questions, then would killing the soul not be a better form of justice than to torture it for no possible good result or purpose? - Since none of your premises are taught by Orthodoxy, this question is moot.

Thanks for not telling me what you do teach. Perhaps you guys just don't know.

Regards
DL
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »

Well, to date, you haven't seemed much interested in what we teach.  I've only seen you endlessly begging the question, throwing out ad hominems and attacking strawmen.  Between all the logical fallacies you are throwing around, you haven't had time to demonstrate interest in what Orthodoxy teaches.  Unlike gnosticism, it's not really a concept that can be taught by throwing out sneering questions and insulting one-liners.

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »

Thanks for not telling me what you do teach. Perhaps you guys just don't know.

Regards
DL

More likely, you really don't want to know.  Roll Eyes

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2013, 11:08:59 PM »

Now I get hell for visiting one of my sons in the hospital.

A good way to draw me to your religion.

Though there was nothing in your posts to indicate this was the reason you were leaving, you are right to call me on my rudeness.  I ask your forgiveness. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2013, 11:24:29 PM »

The light within me when I activate it just as Jesus says it is. A realm of nothing but though. A cosmic consciousness.

Light may be seen as enlightenment because in reality, that place is not bright at all.

How convenient. 

Where does Jesus say that the light you activate within is "a realm of nothing but though (sic)...A cosmic consciousness"?  Nothing you quoted from his words in the Gospels is nearly that esoteric.   

With my apology made, I do want to note that nothing in that video (and as I said before, I watched the whole thing) indicates that Jesus said the light one activates within is "a realm of nothing but though (sic)...A cosmic consciousness".  Mr Donohue may draw those conclusions based on presuppositions he's attaching to his selective quoting of some of Jesus' sayings (but not others).  But the Jesus presented in the NT is not saying those things, and Mr Donohue is not Jesus--unless Gnosticism has picked up a few more beliefs since I last studied it.

In other words, you haven't addressed my question in any remotely meaningful way.  You just posted a Youtube link. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4AmLcBLZWY       

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2013, 01:11:35 AM »

So I checked this thread this morning, saw barely a few replies. Didn't think it would go further, and saw it at 128 replies tonight.

Didn't think the OP would be so active. Or rather too much shooting from the hip.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2013, 02:20:29 AM »

Remember that in the Moses myth, esoterically speaking, he had to get past the burning bush which is Satan.
God dwells behind his most trusted angel.  

Right?

Wrong. Meetly and rightly speaking the Burning Bush is the all-holy Theotokos: God dwells in his most humble handmaid.

Earth - water - air - fire - Godhead.

Think Kundalini. Better still. Think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUV_Xtzz3CQ

"These portentous and profound mysteries do not fall within the range of every intellect, because all have not sufficiently purged their brains."

Quote from: St. Irenaeus, Against Heresies, Preface
These men falsify the oracles of God, and prove themselves evil interpreters of the good word of revelation. They also overthrow the faith of many, by drawing them away, under a pretence of [superior] knowledge, from Him who rounded and adorned the universe; as if, forsooth, they had something more excellent and sublime to reveal, than that God who created the heaven and the earth, and all things that are therein. By means of specious and plausible words, they cunningly allure the simple-minded to inquire into their system; but they nevertheless clumsily destroy them, while they initiate them into their blasphemous and impious opinions respecting the Demiurge; and these simple ones are unable, even in such a matter, to distinguish falsehood from truth.

Source
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:22:17 AM by Romaios » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »

Romaios,

That's too much reading, would you be so kind as to post the Youtube video of St Irenaeus reading Book I of Against Heresies?  Thanks.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »

Romaios,

That's too much reading, would you be so kind as to post the Youtube video of St Irenaeus reading Book I of Against Heresies?  Thanks.
BEST QUOTE EVER!  laugh

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2013, 11:03:41 AM »

Romaios,

No yt video, but there is an audio recording by Maria Lectrix.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »

Romaios,

Unacceptable.  If St. Irenaeus isn't the one reading it, it isn't worth listening to.  laugh

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »

Unacceptable.  If St. Irenaeus isn't the one reading it, it isn't worth listening to.  laugh

Oh, I don't know about that...Maria Lectrix sounds a lot sexier than St Irenaeus of Lyons (even when you pronounce Lyons as Lions).  Maybe we should give it a try.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »

Oh, I don't know about that...Maria Lectrix sounds a lot sexier than St Irenaeus of Lyons (even when you pronounce Lyons as Lions).  Maybe we should give it a try.  Tongue

I end up finding the best links for my blogroll through thoroughly disreputable sources... Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »

How convenient. 

With my apology made, I do want to note that nothing in that video (and as I said before, I watched the whole thing) indicates that Jesus said the light one activates within is "a realm of nothing but though (sic)...A cosmic consciousness".  Mr Donohue may draw those conclusions based on presuppositions he's attaching to his selective quoting of some of Jesus' sayings (but not others).  But the Jesus presented in the NT is not saying those things, and Mr Donohue is not Jesus--unless Gnosticism has picked up a few more beliefs since I last studied it.

In other words, you haven't addressed my question in any remotely meaningful way.  You just posted a Youtube link. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4AmLcBLZWY       

Thank you for watching it. I am not surprised that you did not quite understand it because of your mind set.

Let me give you mine and perhaps that will help.

John 6 ; 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

This quote is telling me that Jesus always speaks in spirit/parables/esoteric language.

He is telling me to think esoterically with his ---It is the spirit that quickeneth. He reinforces that notion with his ---the flesh profiteth nothing. He wants us to go into the sesoteric spirit type of thinking.

He is speaking of spirit life with his --- they are spirit, and they are life.

"indicates that Jesus said the light one activates within is "a realm of nothing but though (sic)..."

Nothing in word tied to reality but it is said esoterically.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

Can your human body light up from inside?
No.

Can your spiritual body light up?
No.

Can your spiritual soul and consciousness gain the light from God that esoterically speaking is en-light-tenement?

Yes. And that is how Jesus meant it.

Let me reinforce this esoteric notion by telling you that one of the largest statues in the Vatican is that of an acorn and that that acorn represents the pineal gland which is what activates the single eye that Jesus speaks of. The third eye to the Eastern religions that seek enlightenment.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »

So I checked this thread this morning, saw barely a few replies. Didn't think it would go further, and saw it at 128 replies tonight.

Didn't think the OP would be so active. Or rather too much shooting from the hip.

Nothing better to do than throw stones and run eh.

Regards
DL
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: