OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 03:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROCOR Western Rite dead? It appears so...  (Read 1734 times) Average Rating: 0
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« on: July 13, 2013, 08:09:46 AM »

A sad day if this is true:

http://www.synod.com/synod/eng2013/20130712_ensynodmeeting.html
Tony

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:12:46 AM »

Looks like it
WPM
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:21:49 AM »

It still exists in the Antiochian Archdiocese.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:23:25 AM »

It still exists in the Antiochian Archdiocese.

Indeed. And may it always!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 03:53:38 PM »

Another thread has a more in-depth discussion which seems to question the idea that the Holy Synod killed its WR.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »

Another thread has a more in-depth discussion which seems to question the idea that the Holy Synod killed its WR.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that until after I created this thread. I hope that's the case and that this is more of a house cleaning, so to speak.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 05:03:10 PM »

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that until after I created this thread. I hope that's the case and that this is more of a house cleaning, so to speak.

It has been a long overdo house cleaning. Bishop Jerome really needed to be put in his place.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »

What did Bishop Jerome do that angered the Synod? I heard that he might have ordained hastily, but what exactly was his fault?
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 10:00:43 PM »

What did Bishop Jerome do that angered the Synod? I heard that he might have ordained hastily, but what exactly was his fault?

He violated church canons by ordaining several men during a single liturgy. That, to my knowledge, was the largest issue. The over-eagerness to ordain so many priests without existing parishes seems to be another.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »

He violated church canons by ordaining several men during a single liturgy. That, to my knowledge, was the largest issue. The over-eagerness to ordain so many priests without existing parishes seems to be another.

In the Orthodox Church only one person at a time is ordained to a priestly rank. Bishop Jerome knew this and disregarded it. What else did he disregard and why?
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »

He violated church canons by ordaining several men during a single liturgy. That, to my knowledge, was the largest issue.

AFAIK, the only tradition that has such a canon is the Byzantine tradition, and it's a later canon.  Every other tradition routinely and for centuries has ordained multiple men to the same rank in the same Liturgy.  Should Bp Jerome be held responsible for violating a canon that ostensibly doesn't apply to the WR? 

And if so, why not the Antiochians?  Not that it is ROCOR's responsibility to be an enforcer for anyone but themselves, but the Antiochians have performed such ordinations (Byzantine tradition) with no incident.     

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 11:21:26 PM »

I didn't know it wasn't allowed to ordain more than one person at once. Hmmm.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 11:26:36 PM »

Can you please cite the canon(s) he violated by ordaining multiple people to the same order in the same liturgy?

Joseph
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 11:28:25 PM »

He violated church canons by ordaining several men during a single liturgy. That, to my knowledge, was the largest issue.

AFAIK, the only tradition that has such a canon is the Byzantine tradition, and it's a later canon.  Every other tradition routinely and for centuries has ordained multiple men to the same rank in the same Liturgy.  Should Bp Jerome be held responsible for violating a canon that ostensibly doesn't apply to the WR? 

And if so, why not the Antiochians?  Not that it is ROCOR's responsibility to be an enforcer for anyone but themselves, but the Antiochians have performed such ordinations (Byzantine tradition) with no incident.     

There is no canon forbidding it.  However, most local ordinances do prescribe one of each rank per day per bishop.  ROCOR's local ordinances forbid it, and Bishop Jerome transgressed this without discussing it with the Synod.  Not good.  
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 11:53:57 PM »

It has been a long overdo house cleaning. Bishop Jerome really needed to be put in his place.

And this is how to put a Vicar Bishop in his place? I would imagine that a simple phone call from his Metropolitan would have been enough to clarify what his instructions/limits are. Why is there a need to call an emergency council and forcibly retire him?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 06:03:58 AM »

And this is how to put a Vicar Bishop in his place? I would imagine that a simple phone call from his Metropolitan would have been enough to clarify what his instructions/limits are. Why is there a need to call an emergency council and forcibly retire him?

Perhaps this wasn't his only transgression, and he hadn't paid any mind to previous admonishments.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »

Perhaps this wasn't his only transgression, and he hadn't paid any mind to previous admonishments.
Possible but I am not sure what transgression occurred. I am not a member of ROCOR and am not trying to pass judgement on them. i like most people are just trying to understand what is going on and what the decree actually means. I have watched as members of clergy have been going at it online arguing as to what this all means. It is not good... I will believe those clergy in RWRV that state there is nothing changing other than Bishop Jerome and Monk Anthony are no longer assistants to the Metropolitan and that they will be doing a better job vetting those allowed to join as clergy.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:32:00 PM by ICXCNIKA » Logged
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »

From what I understand the main problem was Bishop Jerome writing public letters to others against Bishop Peter and making a public spectacle and even creating a bit of scandal.  I think the ordinations per se were not what caused the forced retirement.   
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 05:53:51 PM »

Having permission to celebrate the Divine Liturgy and other services according to a particular liturgical tradition does not mean you have permission to follow a different set of administrative rules than those prescribed by your Holy Synod.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »

Sure, I get that as a general principle.  But it seems strange to me to prohibit something normal in the Western Rite based on a specifically Byzantine, non-canonical (as in there is no canon referring to it) custom. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »

There is no canon forbidding it.  However, most local ordinances do prescribe one of each rank per day per bishop.  ROCOR's local ordinances forbid it, and Bishop Jerome transgressed this without discussing it with the Synod.  Not good.  

Interesting, Father, thanks.  I could never locate a canon to this effect myself, but people I've discussed this with all seemed to think there was one, so I just presumed I didn't look carefully. 

Where/when did this custom originate? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »

Sure, I get that as a general principle.  But it seems strange to me to prohibit something normal in the Western Rite based on a specifically Byzantine, non-canonical (as in there is no canon referring to it) custom. 

Some of us, who as a condition of our "unfortunate" backgrounds, are unusually "sensitive" to such matters,  and would thus identify this as as an example of "reverse uniatism." You know, if it looks and smells like a rose......
age234
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »

Two weeks on, how are things going in the Western Rite?

I saw that Metr. Hilarion issued a letter that basically says the WR parishes are under his direct jurisdiction now, but I didn't see any indication that he is shutting down the WR.

I recently talked to a priest who is involved with the WR, and I got the sense that there could be schism brewing. I hope it doesn't come to that.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 06:50:17 PM »

I recently talked to a priest who is involved with the WR, and I got the sense that there could be schism brewing. I hope it doesn't come to that.

The impression that he (or others) was contemplating schism from Orthodoxy entirely, or just jumping the jurisdictional ship?
Tags: multiple ordinations 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: