OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 11:23:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Francis Urges Mutual Respect in His Ramadan Greetings to Muslims Read more  (Read 1136 times) Average Rating: 0
Balthasar
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« on: August 05, 2013, 06:37:13 AM »

http://www.christianpost.com/news/pope-francis-urges-mutual-respect-in-his-ramadan-greetings-to-muslims-101502/

What mutual respect, when they are murdering more and more Christians?  Roll Eyes

Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:59:23 AM »

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum: Habemus IMAM!  laugh

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »

Love your enemies, but respect ?    We are their Infidels, and are not worthy to live our lives as Christians. If they would only leave us alone.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:31:39 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:05:51 AM »

So because barbarians are being barbarians we should be barbarians too?

Also, there is no "they". Ther are various Afghans, Persians, Indonesians, Uyghurs, Saudis etc. Muslims are not a unified group.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:08:26 AM by Alpo » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »

I'm not certain I would call those who slaughter our brothers and sisters "friends", at this point.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:10:33 AM »

Why does the Pope need to send Ramadan greetings in the first place?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 09:21:28 AM »

Ditto

Antiochian OC N.A.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »

Well you might as well be nice to your eventual replacement of the world's dominant religion. Wink

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 11:09:27 AM »

Well you might as well be nice to your eventual replacement of the world's dominant religion. Wink

What did I just read? Huh

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 11:45:28 AM »

Great question! Why does he not greet Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Hindus, Buddhists... in the same way for the sake of establishing dialogue and friendship? Roll Eyes

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »

Or we have an Ishmaelite/Hagarene Pope in disguise who may soon declare that the only canonical Gospel is the Gospel of Barnabas.  Roll Eyes

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »

Or we have an Ishmaelite/Hagarene Pope in disguise who may soon declare that the only canonical Gospel is the Gospel of Barnabas.  Roll Eyes

You don't have a Pope.

What he did was called being diplomatic.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 12:09:14 PM »

Why is the Roman Catholics' Pope not being diplomatic for Jews and all Christian denominations? Is it because diplomatic means scared in this context?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:10:58 PM by Theophilos78 » Logged

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »

Why is YOUR Pope not being diplomatic for Jews and all Christian denominations? Is it because diplomatic means scared in this context?

I'd rather say servile than scared. Unless the Pope routinely gets Christmas cards from all high imams.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »

Great question! Why does he not greet Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Hindus, Buddhists... in the same way for the sake of establishing dialogue and friendship? Roll Eyes

He does.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:36 PM »

He does.

What about the Mormons and JWs?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »

Why is the Roman Catholics' Pope not being diplomatic for Jews and all Christian denominations? Is it because diplomatic means scared in this context?

Because he doesn't have to, Theo. He isn't responsible for everyone. Why would you even expect him to be? He's responsible for his own organization, none other.

Please get the chip off your shoulder.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »

What about the Mormons and JWs?

Do they even have holidays that are different from those of other Christians? 

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »

Why is YOUR Pope not being diplomatic for Jews and all Christian denominations? Is it because diplomatic means scared in this context?

I'd rather say servile than scared. Unless the Pope routinely gets Christmas cards from all high imams.

He may. They don't all hate each other, you know.

What did anyone expect the Roman Catholic Pope to say, after all? "Screw your stupid Ramadan, I hope you burn in Hell"?

Doesn't anyone have a right to address matters of faith and politics in a kind and merciful way? Or, let's forget all that Jesus stuff, it's too sissy...

spcasuncoast.org
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 12:19:52 PM »

Why did he have to say anything? As you said, he's only responsible for his own organisation.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »

Because he doesn't have to, Theo. He isn't responsible for everyone. Why would you even expect him to be? He's responsible for his own organization, none other.

You imply that he HAS TO do so about Muslims. He's scared. He probably lacks the spirit of courage, which was mentioned by St. Paul.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »

What did anyone expect the Roman Catholic Pope to say, after all? "Screw your stupid Ramadan, I hope you burn in Hell"?

Doesn't anyone have a right to address matters of faith and politics in a kind and merciful way? Or, let's forget all that Jesus stuff, it's too sissy...

Straw man arguments show that you are out of logical arguments. The best thing to do in this case is to keep silent. The Pope could have done the same.  Grin

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »

You imply that he HAS TO do so about Muslims. He's scared. He probably lacks the spirit of courage, which was mentioned by St. Paul.

Nice slander. Keep talking about people you don't know.

And let's just insult people from other religions as much as we can. I bet nothing bad will come out of that.

I should have known what to expect from this board.

spcasuncoast.org
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »

Straw man arguments show that you are out of logical arguments. The best thing to do in this case is to keep silent. The Pope could have done the same.  Grin

You aren't going to tell me when to keep silent, Theo. How about you watch your mouth?

spcasuncoast.org
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »

You aren't going to tell me when to keep silent, Theo. How about you watch your mouth?

Impressed by your answer, which has nothing to do with the Pope's so-called diplomacy.

gueranger
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexis of Wilkes Barre, pray for me a sinner.

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »

Vatican II.

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 12:34:51 PM »

I'm curious.  Does anyone know if he sent out Paschal greetings?  If so, to whom were they addressed?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »

Why did he have to say anything? As you said, he's only responsible for his own organisation.

He doesn't have to say anything, but I think it's just diplomacy.  He's responsible for his organisation as you say, but his organisation operates in countries (and has for centuries in some cases) where those religions are a) the official religion, b) the religion of the majority, or c) influential in the country.  Also, in some of these countries, the RC's (and Protestants, to an extent) are viewed as problematic not just because they're Christians but because their highest religious allegiance after God belongs to a foreign national (in fact, a foreign head of state when it comes to the Pope).  Even if they are natives, they're also looked at as foreigners, a sort of Trojan horse within "our country".  In parts of the world, their priests and religious are martyred for this allegiance, if not overtly for the faith itself.  

It's understandable for the Pope of Rome to want to get ahead of all that and be friendly and diplomatic.  Those messages don't typically affirm people in their paganism, even if they don't outright preach the gospel of Jesus Christ.  They're usually a kind of PR fluff that's aimed at easing relations, helping others see the RCC as a friend and not a threat, etc.  I don't know if any Orthodox leaders put out "official greetings" the way the Pope does, but there are plenty that will go to public functions on the occasion of holidays not to be a syncretist or a fundamentalist, but to be a friend and an actively engaged member of society.      

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 12:52:42 PM »

I have to say this thread is beyond absurd. I was sent a comment by an acquaintance who was in the middle of fevered outrage on a Catholic board. I couldn't have said it better myself and with his consent, here are his words:

"There is no compromise in faith in being courteous to others. Jews wish you a Merry Christmas, you wish them a Happy Chanukah. A Muslim wishes me a happy Easter, I will offer him a happy Ramadan. True belief cannot be coerced, but, on the other hand, one act of kindness and courtesy to others is an evangelical and escatological action. We should be Christians, not jerks."

The Emperors of old, including the Tsars issued such platitudes for centuries. It's called diplomacy and common sense. Similar statements come out of the MP&EP regularly.

Would a call from the Vatican to Crusade be better?
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »

I have to say this thread is beyond absurd. I was sent a comment by an acquaintance who was in the middle of fevered outrage on a Catholic board. I couldn't have said it better myself and with his consent, here are his words:

"There is no compromise in faith in being courteous to others. Jews wish you a Merry Christmas, you wish them a Happy Chanukah. A Muslim wishes me a happy Easter, I will offer him a happy Ramadan. True belief cannot be coerced, but, on the other hand, one act of kindness and courtesy to others is an evangelical and escatological action. We should be Christians, not jerks."

The Emperors of old, including the Tsars issued such platitudes for centuries. It's called diplomacy and common sense. Similar statements come out of the MP&EP regularly.

Would a call from the Vatican to Crusade be better?

I have to somewhat agree with this statement, the problem is not cohesion or politeness between the world's religions, quite the contrary, it's actually the lack of it. I believe the in the end, the world system will not any competeing religions because that is what builds a nation and keeps a culture and people  intact. They want the opposite, eradicate all religion and make the state or man a god and be totally dependant on the secular things of this world, not some vague deity outsdie the realm of reality.

That is the goal.

But I do see a problem down the line with this current ecumenism being more in the form of  a religious "big tent-ism" to bring all faiths in under an umbrella in order to more easily conform or indoctrinate all adherents into the ultimate heresy.

The Abomination of Desolation if you will.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »

balthasar and martel and a few others of you guys, you display the mentality of a taliban .
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:56:12 PM by augustin717 » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »

bartasar and martel and a few others of you, guys, you display the mentality of a taliban .

Zealotry, mixed with intolerance and fear can morph into something more extreme, but that's a cheap shot.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 01:54:54 PM »

Congratulations pagan on your festival which shows us all the glory of God! God's blessing to you!

said no pope ever

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 01:57:45 PM »

bartasar and martel and a few others of you, guys, you display the mentality of a taliban .

Zealotry, mixed with intolerance and fear can morph into something more extreme, but that's a cheap shot.

what does lukewarm, mixed with tolerance and love morph into?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »

anyway, this is not much of news compared to what popes have done before

that is, when the pope kissed the koran

(at least they didn't gift the koran like a certain patriarch...  police police police police police police )
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:18:21 PM by Gunnarr » Logged

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »

balthasar and martel and a few others of you guys, you display the mentality of a taliban .

لسلام عليكم to you too my brother...... Grin

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »

Congratulations pagan on your festival which shows us all the glory of God! God's blessing to you!

said no pope ever

I think you could call them Modern Arians of a sort,,,,,,maybe....
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »

(at least they didn't gift the koran like a certain patriarch...  police police police police police police )

Im sure the Imam responded in kind by kissing the Holy Bible.....correct?   NO.....oh never mind.
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »

Im sure the Imam responded in kind by kissing the Holy Bible.....correct?   NO.....oh never mind.

I hope he did not do in front of the Pope what his shariah allows him to do:

Ash-Shams[ad-Din] Ar-Ramli [d.1004 A.D.] said in [his book of fiqh] Nihayat al-Muhtaj: "It is impermissible to use respected books like those of hadith and fiqh for anal cleansing after defecation (al-istinja',الأستنجاء ), but non-respected books like philosophy, Torah and the New Testament, which are known as corrupt and which do not contain exalted names, can be used for anal cleansing after defecation." Mawsu'at al-Fatawi, Islamweb, Fatwa No. 40378, November 23, 2003  http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Qur%27an,_Hadith_and_Scholars:People_of_the_Book

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 04:16:36 PM »

and you display the mentality of a moderate Islamist.  Grin

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »

AIRC EO pope also issues similar letters. And Patriarch Cyril too, probably. Wouldn't be surprised  if the OO pope also did. Or the EP.
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »

AIRC EO pope also issues similar letters. And Patriarch Cyril too, probably. Wouldn't be surprised  if the OO pope also did. Or the EP.

So what? No Christian clergyman is infallible. Remember that Nestorius was once the Patriarch of Constantinople.  Roll Eyes

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »

(at least they didn't gift the koran like a certain patriarch...  police police police police police police )

Im sure the Imam responded in kind by kissing the Holy Bible.....correct?   NO.....oh never mind.

I hope he did not do in front of the Pope what his shariah allows him to do:

Ash-Shams[ad-Din] Ar-Ramli [d.1004 A.D.] said in [his book of fiqh] Nihayat al-Muhtaj: "It is impermissible to use respected books like those of hadith and fiqh for anal cleansing after defecation (al-istinja',الأستنجاء ), but non-respected books like philosophy, Torah and the New Testament, which are known as corrupt and which do not contain exalted names, can be used for anal cleansing after defecation." Mawsu'at al-Fatawi, Islamweb, Fatwa No. 40378, November 23, 2003   http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Qur%27an,_Hadith_and_Scholars:People_of_the_Book

That's it, Im buying the first Sear and Roebuck Koran I see and for the same reason......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:22:47 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 07:00:51 AM »

Are May Day greetings sent to the followers of the Marxist faith?

Antiochian OC N.A.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: