OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:32:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I know about meeting a Priest?  (Read 513 times) Average Rating: 0
Demian

« on: July 10, 2013, 02:50:23 AM »

Is there any etiquette I should know about when I meet the Priest at the church I've been going to? Should I kiss his hand? That would be very awkward for me.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:34:38 AM »

Just be courteous and respectful. 
Demian

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:19:26 AM »

What about the whole hand kissing thing? When is that appropriate?
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:54:57 AM »

You should ask him when you chat.  I wouldn't worry about it right now.  I'm sure he isn't going to expect anything. 
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »

Indeed, ask him.  But don't worry too much about it.  I have rarely seen it here in the USA outside of liturgical settings.  Indeed, most often the priests I've met have first extended their hands for a friendly handshake, or, in the case of priests long-known, a kiss on the cheek.  In Europe and elsewhere it is probably more formal.  Bishops are generally a different story!
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:01:05 AM »

Dear Demian,

He's not going to expect it at all!  But I would call him "Father XXXX".  May your meeting be fruitful!

Love, elephant
Demian

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the responses!
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »

I've seen a lot of converts talk to a priest, shaking their hand and treating them like their palmigo from long back. It's fun to watch as they get more and more humble through the months as they learn more. If you ask, the priest will explain and show you how to get a blessing. Don't worry, he isn't going to kick you out of the Church or anything, he might chuckle a bit, not because he is laughing at you but mostly because a lot of priest in America are converts also and they might have gone through the same thing.

This user is no longer active.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 05:54:16 AM »

Just remember that he is a human like all other humans. However, he is meant to represent Christ, so even though by himself he is just a human like any other, we do have to show proper respect, or a certain kind of "spiritual immunity". Otherwise, The Church becomes a circus. Well, we should show everybody this kind of respect, but at least start with the priest. Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: