OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 06:06:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting  (Read 1436 times) Average Rating: 0
WeepingProphet

OC.net

« on: January 27, 2005, 11:18:28 AM »

I am setting out on an elogated fast. It is mainly for repentance and restoration. Lately, because of recent events it seems the hurt and disillusionment of the years has crashed down on me. I am prayerless and sinful and I feel God has abandoned me. Pray for me, don't just wish me well.

But I remain undaunted-but where is he who my soul loves? That is why I fast. I require God's presence, I need his touch on my life. Without it I am useless and worthless. All I know to do is this desperate act-fast until the heavens are no longer brass. Physical danger does not even matter-what good is my life without God's presence and anointing? Will God answer me? What must I do?

I am not a psycho-, I am not witless or brainless but what else can I do?

How do I begin-practical and spiritual?

Has anyone here fasted longer than seven days (on just liquids-water, organic juice, herbal tea)?

I appreciate the loving advice anyone can give me.

SG

" My mother's sons were angry with me and made me take care of the vineyards; my own vineyard I have neglected."
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 12:18:00 PM »

Dear SG,

I would encourage you, before you start, to speak with a priest/monastic/spiritual director about all this, and see what he (or she, if you see a nun) advises.  Also, I suppose I'd ask my doctor before I started a fast from all solid food for an extended period of time; I've only gone without solid food and drink during the day, breaking it after sunset with both solids and liquids.  That's the only thing I can recommend: I'm not a good faster, and I'm an even worse pray-er. 

We will pray for you.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 12:44:42 PM »

I agree with Mor Ephrem, seek cousul with preist/similar and physician first.  The health of the body can affect the mind, and you need to make sure your mind is clear to recieve God's presence...so you must be wise in the way that you fast.

I will pray for you, and still i wish you well, for it is plain that you are hurting badly.

Aurelia
WeepingProphet

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 03:44:08 PM »

Brethren:

Thanks you for your concern and prayers.

" My mother's sons were angry with me and made me take care of the vineyards; my own vineyard I have neglected."
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 04:02:34 PM »

I agree with what Mor wrote.  Get guidance for a priest first.  Fasting is so hard and IMHO it's impossible to do by yourself.  Of course fasting is 'solitary' but it should be done as part of the Church.   Does that make sense? 

And the kind of fast you're describing is even harder than the usual lenten fast. 

My experience with fasting is that it makes you very vulnerable.  That's partially why we fast, to become vulnerable so we realize how much we need God.  But if we don't some good spiritual guidance it makes us vulernable to bad things as well. 
WeepingProphet

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 04:08:31 PM »

Jen:

I agree. Maybe I was not clear but I fasted (just drinking liquids juice, herbal tea, water) for 16 days before. It was awesome.

I am meeting with Father garretson as Russian Orthodox priest next week.

I will see what happens. right now I am so uncomfortable talking about a fast because...you know.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 04:08:58 PM by WeepingProphet » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: