Author Topic: Addressing Protestant Influence in Oriental Orthodoxy  (Read 24011 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Addressing Protestant Influence in Oriental Orthodoxy
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2018, 08:20:11 AM »
Why not? Brown is beautiful ;)
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »
It is beautiful the only problem was the mix with islamic singing. At the end it is a concert they do such mixing in our country to say that we love each other and there is no problem.

Bleh, kitschy at best. Just listen to some Céline Dion and leave Orthodoxy out of it :p

At least it's not in the liturgy, though, I guess.

It was just a concert. they are doing some religious song. I don't like Celine dion ;D. Maybe we should add some blues to liurgy it is transcendent

Yes, why not? Then lets add snake handling. Then lets make clothing optional. Then lets sacrifice a goat. Then lets...

"Transcendence" is a subjective moving target. At least tradition offers a standard that more than a handful of people can agree on at any one time.

Can we say that the quran offer a standard for many years for so much people. So what?

Offline LoveJoyPeace

• Servant of Christ
  • Unworthy soul, sustained by Grace and Mercy
  • Faith: Oriental (Coptic) Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New York & New England
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2018, 01:18:55 PM »
It is beautiful the only problem was the mix with islamic singing. At the end it is a concert they do such mixing in our country to say that we love each other and there is no problem.

Bleh, kitschy at best. Just listen to some Céline Dion and leave Orthodoxy out of it :p

It was just a concert. they are doing some religious song. I don't like Celine dion ;D. Maybe we should add some blues to liurgy it is transcendent

Yes, why not? Then lets add snake handling. Then lets make clothing optional. Then lets sacrifice a goat. Then lets...

"Transcendence" is a subjective moving target. At least tradition offers a standard that more than a handful of people can agree on at any one time.

Can we say that the quran offer a standard for many years for so much people. So what?

No one mentioned the qur'an. What does the qur'an have to do with anything?
Christos Anesti!

I'm forever still learning. If I say something wrong, please let me know. :)

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »

No one mentioned the qur'an. What does the qur'an have to do with anything?

I am just saying having standard and being old doesn't mean anything. In general time make stuff to look more sacred
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:33:25 PM by youssef »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »

A false standard, yes. Are you saying that you consider Orthodoxy to be as false as Islam?

My point is that Christian worship needs standards and that modern Low Church Evangelicals have little to none of those.

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2018, 07:40:19 AM »

A false standard, yes. Are you saying that you consider Orthodoxy to be as false as Islam?

My point is that Christian worship needs standards and that modern Low Church Evangelicals have little to none of those.

Sure no. they are a little better ;D I am kidding.
My point is worshipping a something we should do it every day in our work, and people can pray the way they like. Imagine if christianity start in a shamanism culture i think the standard will change

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2018, 08:13:55 AM »
Worshiping is something we should do everyday, yes. Our whole lives should be an act of worship. But there is also something special about the coming together of the Body of Christ in worship.

It's something that needs to be carefully tended and guarded because there's a million ways that it can and has gone astray over the years.

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2018, 06:56:22 PM »
Worshiping is something we should do everyday, yes. Our whole lives should be an act of worship. But there is also something special about the coming together of the Body of Christ in worship.

It's something that needs to be carefully tended and guarded because there's a million ways that it can and has gone astray over the years.

In mass we should become together taking out all my personal identity and praise God in respectful way.
In general now I don't go to Mass for many reason and contradiction in my mind, but sometimes I go with friends to their liturgy. The first time I had go with my Protestant friend a responsible of the church has say to me, we are all here the son of God we are not Latin, Greek , Russian or Syriac. I appreciate when he say that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2018, 07:45:43 PM »

In mass we should become together taking out all my personal identity and praise God in respectful way.

Right. And adding CCM to the corporate worship is the opposite of that. Listen to it on your own time if you must.

And I agree, there is neither Jew nor Greek in Christ.

Offline LoveJoyPeace

• Servant of Christ
  • Unworthy soul, sustained by Grace and Mercy
  • Faith: Oriental (Coptic) Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New York & New England
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2018, 11:50:42 PM »

In general now I don't go to Mass for many reason and contradiction in my mind, but sometimes I go with friends to their liturgy. The first time I had go with my Protestant friend a responsible of the church has say to me, we are all here the son of God we are not Latin, Greek , Russian or Syriac. I appreciate when he say that.

I've always been Orthodox. When I came to college in the middle of my second semester of sophomore year I started getting involved with this Protestant group on campus. I really loved it and actually bought into the culture hype for SEVERAL months. A few weeks in I even made the grave mistake of receiving communion at one of their parishes on the Western Good Friday (which was obviously differnt from Orthodox that year). I've repented and confessed of that now, thank God. It was partially an ignorance thing as to the state of their bread and partially a rebellious/prideful thing since I knew I wasn't supposed to.

Interestingly, something happened (or rather has been happening), and I've been being pushed into an almost hyper-orthodox culture now. I still sometimes go to this fellowship mostly for social reasons, but I usually don't go there for spiritual nourishment anymore as I did in the beginning. (This was in addition to my Orthodox Fellowship even then. Not instead of).

The reverence for God that I've seen in Orthodox (And even Catholic) Churches is beautiful, and necessary, and I don't particularly see such reverence among protestant communities. A lot of protestant "worship nights" or "worship services" strongly resemble a rock concert. I don't think our worship should be resembling worldly things.

Not to mention, the lack of a Eucharist and other major flaws in theology. Many of which present themselves in the songs.
Christos Anesti!

I'm forever still learning. If I say something wrong, please let me know. :)