OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:56:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friend with Serious Illness  (Read 1256 times) Average Rating: 0
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: July 07, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »

Hello All,

If you could all please say a prayer for a friend of mine.  He just found out that he is HIV positive.  He is quite young and is in complete shock.  He lives with his parents and unfortunately he is certain that if he told them about this new information they would kick him out of the house rendering him homeless.  The fact that they have let him reside with them at all is a miracle.  They hold to a very warped view of the Gospel.  He is a good man with a good heart, but very young and naive, and unfortunately he made a bad decision that will affect him for the rest of his life.  It is just devastating.  Please pray for both his physical and spiritual health.  He is understandably in a very dark place right now.  And pray for me, that I am able to provide the emotional support he needs during this time.  Unfortunately, I have had difficulty managing my own grief response as it pertains to this new reality. 

Thank you.

John

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
WPM
Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »

Lord have mercy
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »

Lord have mercy.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »

Lord have mercy.

St. Pantaleimon, pray for us.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »

Lord, have mercy on John and his friend.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »

May the Lord show mercy to all, grant health and understanding to this young man, his family and loved ones.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »

Lord, Have Mercy!
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »

Thank you all!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »

Lord have mercy on Ionnis and his friend!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 11:57:16 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »

Thank you for your prayers.

Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 12:12:55 AM »

Hello All,

I have a bit of an update.  As you know, it has been over two months since my friend tested positive for HIV.  Since that time he has not followed up with any medical care.  Last week he finally admitted to me that he had no intention of seeking out treatment.  He stated that he wanted to die as quickly as possible.  He is only in his 20s!  After a long conversation and a day spent together he seems to be in a better place, so much so that he went ahead and scheduled an appointment to see a doctor, but I am still very worried about him.  He seems to have little hope left.  His home situation is horrible and his church situation even worse.  I think he has stopped believing that God loves him.  I fear he has fallen into a state of self-hatred.  It is very scary.  Please, please pray.  If anyone of you knew him, you'd love him the instant you met him.  He is a truly sweet, kind person.  I beg you to remember him continually in your prayers.  Please. 

John   

Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 12:27:05 AM »

Continued prayers. Lord, have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 03:03:58 AM »

Lord, have mercy on your friend.
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 03:58:36 AM »

Lord have mercy!
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 07:01:12 AM »

Lord, have mercy on John's friend. Lead him out of despondency and into constructive action.
Have mercy also on John, that he may stay strong to help his friend.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 07:50:21 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 07:57:34 AM »

Lord have mercy!

A lot have happened in recent years. With the right treatment, your friend would have good chances for a relatively normal life.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 08:13:23 AM »

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:21 AM »

May the Lord have mercy upon this young man, grant him fortitude to trust in God and seek His help, give him strength to seek medical assistance, , and may his family be loving towards him.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 07:48:02 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 02:28:50 AM »

Lord have mercy
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »

Hello All,

I have a bit of an update.  As you know, it has been over two months since my friend tested positive for HIV.  Since that time he has not followed up with any medical care.  Last week he finally admitted to me that he had no intention of seeking out treatment.  He stated that he wanted to die as quickly as possible.  He is only in his 20s!  After a long conversation and a day spent together he seems to be in a better place, so much so that he went ahead and scheduled an appointment to see a doctor, but I am still very worried about him.  He seems to have little hope left.  His home situation is horrible and his church situation even worse.  I think he has stopped believing that God loves him.  I fear he has fallen into a state of self-hatred.  It is very scary.  Please, please pray.  If anyone of you knew him, you'd love him the instant you met him.  He is a truly sweet, kind person.  I beg you to remember him continually in your prayers.  Please. 

John   

Through the prayers of the Most Holy Theotokos, of Saints Nectarios of Aegina and Saint John of San Francisco, have mercy, O Lord, on your servant and grant him health and salvation.

Any updates?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 11:57:49 PM »

Thanks again to all of you who have been praying for my friend.  And Maria, thank you for inquiring into my friend's situation.  The good news is that he has attended two doctors appointments thus far.  Unfortunately, upon going to his second appointment he was informed he owed $172 for the services previously rendered.  He paid it and now has less than $20 in his checking account.  He has no savings account.  During that second appointment the doctor ordered a whole host of labs.  My friend went to the lab and found out that the labs costs nearly $2,000.  Fortunately, he has medical coverage, but I reviewed his policy and well, he will be left with several hundred dollars in bills just from the second visit and the lab work, which he cannot afford whatsoever.  A short-term solution has been found to have the medical bills paid, but long-term there are some issues.  We were able to find him a case manager with the county in which he resides that deals with patients with HIV/AIDS.  This person might be able to connect him to some government programs that will assist with the medical costs associated with treating the HIV.  Unfortunately, his meeting with the case manager is not until next week and from my brief look at some of the criteria, I'm not sure if he meets eligibility requirements.  My friend was/is very close to giving up, especially after the second appointment.  He finally got the courage to go to the medical appointment and then was crushed (to say the least) when he realized he wouldn't be able to afford the necessary medical care.  Also, his t-cell count is shockingly, dangerously low.  The family situation has not changed either.  Please continue to pray.  Now more than ever.  Thank you again.

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 05:16:44 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 05:23:24 AM »

Thanks again to all of you who have been praying for my friend.  And Maria, thank you for inquiring into my friend's situation.  The good news is that he has attended two doctors appointments thus far.  Unfortunately, upon going to his second appointment he was informed he owed $172 for the services previously rendered.  He paid it and now has less than $20 in his checking account.  He has no savings account.  During that second appointment the doctor ordered a whole host of labs.  My friend went to the lab and found out that the labs costs nearly $2,000.  Fortunately, he has medical coverage, but I reviewed his policy and well, he will be left with several hundred dollars in bills just from the second visit and the lab work, which he cannot afford whatsoever.  A short-term solution has been found to have the medical bills paid, but long-term there are some issues.  We were able to find him a case manager with the county in which he resides that deals with patients with HIV/AIDS.  This person might be able to connect him to some government programs that will assist with the medical costs associated with treating the HIV.  Unfortunately, his meeting with the case manager is not until next week and from my brief look at some of the criteria, I'm not sure if he meets eligibility requirements.  My friend was/is very close to giving up, especially after the second appointment.  He finally got the courage to go to the medical appointment and then was crushed (to say the least) when he realized he wouldn't be able to afford the necessary medical care.  Also, his t-cell count is shockingly, dangerously low.  The family situation has not changed either.  Please continue to pray.  Now more than ever.  Thank you again.

Your friend is truly blessed to have you as a friend. You are a very good man. If you argue, you will answer for being proud in your sinfulness. So, accept it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 06:02:33 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Anything we can do?

-St Silouan the athonite
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

What can I do for you/him?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »

Mercy

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 09:44:21 PM »

Continued prayers. Lord, have mercy.

Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 11:30:07 PM »

Lord have mercy
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 11:38:02 PM »

Lord have Mercy.

As others have asked...is there something physical that we can do?  I always have a bit of spare cash going if that would assist even a tiny bit.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 11:44:14 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Most Holy Theotokos, save us.
Grant him healing and peace, O Lord.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »

Lord have mercy.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »

Lord Have Mercy.

The Lord never punishes nor does He hate. We believe in a merciful God that loves all His children the same. Please remind your friend of this. Tell him to seek solace in our holy Theotokos and all our Saints.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:50:01 PM by Faith2545 » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 05:16:13 PM »

may God have mercy on your friend and give him His divine love and care and courage.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 10:56:38 PM »

Thank you all for your continued prayers.  And for those of you who offered financial assistance, thank you, but arrangements have been made for the time being.  Please just continue to pray.  If I have not mentioned this already (shame on me, if I haven't), he is not Orthodox.  He is LDS.  Pray regarding that as well. 

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 10:33:31 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 10:34:57 PM »

May the Lord continue to watch over him.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:32 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »

That's really sad.

Lord, have mercy!

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: