OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 08:08:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Political correctness as heres?  (Read 936 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« on: July 07, 2013, 08:35:06 AM »

[...]political correctness is a Christian heresy on steroids

Sorry, I don't see this. It's a political heresy to the libertarians, but it's not the amplified version of any old heresy.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »

Depends how you define it. Everyone does it differently.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »

I love being politically incorrect in everything I say and do.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »

Towards what end? Would you say something "politically incorrect" to someone you wanted to date? How about the girl at your parish you want/wanted to date? What politically incorrect things have you said to her?

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:54:59 PM »

Saying this is not to your credit.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »

Political correctness is a social construct, and largely appears Marxist in origin. I suspect that on occasion it may not differ too much from politeness and common courtesy. That anyone might rejoice in neither being polite or courteous and see that as a virtue strikes me as perverse. Rejoicing in offending others directly conflicts with the teaching of the Apostle Paul on love.

As such political correctness and Christian values, institutions or beliefs might at times conflict. After all political correctness is a thing very much of this world and Christianity and worldly wisdom have long clashed. But calling it a heresy might be going too far.

One of the problems I sometimes experience with supposedly liberal and progressively minded people is their intolerance and unwillingness to engage in an honest and open debate faced with views or values different than their own. The labelling and dismissing of others, without debate, is the common tactic. In turn I'd be reluctant to readily label another simply because her or his views were different from my own when dealing with secular matters.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »

One of the problems I sometimes experience with supposedly liberal and progressively minded people is their intolerance and unwillingness to engage in an honest and open debate faced with views or values different than their own. The labelling and dismissing of others, without debate, is the common tactic. In turn I'd be reluctant to readily label another simply because her or his views were different from my own when dealing with secular matters.

I have the same issues, though with conservatives people from all backgrounds/ideologies.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:45:46 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »

I have the same issues, though with conservatives people from all backgrounds/ideologies.
Good for you, man.

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:06:16 PM »

LOL. Your version of political incorrectness is very much of the "We need two Stalins! No, fifty Stalins!" variety.

(Link is to a blog post at Slate Star Codex explaining, among other things, the context of that reference.)

Okay, back up. Suppose you went back to Stalinist Russia and you said “You know, people just don’t respect Comrade Stalin enough. There isn’t enough Stalinism in this country! I say we need two Stalins! No, fifty Stalins!”
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:08:23 PM by OrthoNoob » Logged

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »

The idea that we can't offend people offends me.

Thank you.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:07 PM »

Take it up with Paul.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »

It isn't often I find myself in total agreement with Michal, but this is one of those moments. Grin
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 03:10:10 AM »

Take it up with Paul.
St. Paul isn't a member of this forum and is therefore unavailable to defend his opinion. Is it okay, then, if we take up your interpretation of St. Paul with you?
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 06:27:56 AM »

It isn't often I find myself in total agreement with Michal, but this is one of those moments. Grin

Me too.

When I was a teen in the early 1970's, the use of derogatory terms to describe groups or individuals was common in the USA. From the infamous "n" word, to calling Italians "dagos", Poles "pollacks" , treating women with disrespect in the workplace etc...all things no longer acceptable. That is positive change.

However, routinely calling opinions you disagree with "hateful" or twisting language to be so "inclusive" as to be meaningless, is absurd...but not "heresy."
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 06:57:02 AM »

Me too.

When I was a teen in the early 1970's, the use of derogatory terms to describe groups or individuals was common in the USA. From the infamous "n" word, to calling Italians "dagos", Poles "pollacks" , treating women with disrespect in the workplace etc...all things no longer acceptable. That is positive change.

However, routinely calling opinions you disagree with "hateful" or twisting language to be so "inclusive" as to be meaningless, is absurd...but not "heresy."

I agree with that
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »

Political correctness is a social construct, and largely appears Marxist in origin. I suspect that on occasion it may not differ too much from politeness and common courtesy. That anyone might rejoice in neither being polite or courteous and see that as a virtue strikes me as perverse. Rejoicing in offending others directly conflicts with the teaching of the Apostle Paul on love.

I was writing sort of figuratively. It's the values of a Christian culture – politeness, common courtesy, helping the weak and oppressed (women, minorities) – distorted because they've been separated from Christian theology.

A Christian heresy on steroids because it's replaced the churches for many/most people. It grew out of the mainline and is replacing it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:30:25 PM by The young fogey » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: