OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:24:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite Ecclesiastical Music  (Read 1978 times) Average Rating: 0
KostaC

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« on: July 07, 2013, 03:18:16 AM »

Does anyone know where I can find any Western Rite hymns and music? Preferably, I'd like to know if I can find any that exist as MP3 files that I could download onto an iPhone as I cannot find any examples on iTunes, but even just listening to Western Rite hymns on Youtube or something else would be fine as well.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:29:23 AM »

Does anyone know where I can find any Western Rite hymns and music? Preferably, I'd like to know if I can find any that exist as MP3 files that I could download onto an iPhone as I cannot find any examples on iTunes, but even just listening to Western Rite hymns on Youtube or something else would be fine as well.

Youtube is filled with all kinds of Latin chant and there are several sites from which you can turn Youtube videos into mp3s.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:33:01 AM »

Youtube is filled with all kinds of Latin chant and there are several sites from which you can turn Youtube videos into mp3s.

Not all Latin chants are orthodox. Even some of the more popular ones are often heretical.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 06:42:28 AM »

Not all Latin chants are orthodox. Even some of the more popular ones are often heretical.

*Shrugs* But many of them are.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:37:50 AM »

Chant styles = heresy? Or do you mean hymnologyy may contain lyrics expressing heterodox teachings?
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »

Chant styles = heresy? Or do you mean hymnologyy may contain lyrics expressing heterodox teachings?

The latter.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »

I'm aware of that, thank you. I'm not looking for Roman Catholic ecclesiastical music, I'm looking for music written/rewritten by honest-to-God Western Rite Orthodox Christians.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »

I'm aware of that, thank you. I'm not looking for Roman Catholic ecclesiastical music, I'm looking for music written/rewritten by honest-to-God Western Rite Orthodox Christians.

AFAIK that's what many Latin hymns are. See for example Victimae paschali laudes. IMO the most beautiful Christian hymn of all time.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »

A lot of WRO music is exactly the same as Anglican and Roman Catholic music. Some tweaking, some different translations, but very much the same. You might could find vids from St. Gregory the Great parish in Washington, D.C. or St. Mark's in Colorado, but WRO tend to be conservative and might not have taken to recording their liturgies. I've seen some odd Milan Synod (and other groups') liturgical snippets. Our Fr. Aidan from ROCOR had posted a while back a lovely Christmas introit, which was basically an English translation of the Latin.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »

Actually, there are lots of WRO vids on You Tube. I just typed in "Western Rite Orthodox" and got this: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Western+Rite+Orthodox&oq=Western+Rite+Orthodox&gs_l=youtube.3...1964.1964.0.2232.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
ROCORWRVUK

Jurisdiction: ROCOR Western Rite Vicariate

Official account of the ROCOR Western Rite - UK

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 06:01:37 PM »

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Liturgy/Culture.html

There are some mp3 recordings of Sarum Chant on this page.

Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »

Sounds almost exactly the same as the Gregorian style chants we used in the Lutheran Church before I became Orthodox.
KostaC

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 02:22:28 AM »

Well, I forgot about all of those videos, I must admit. My apologies.

That being said, I shouldn't have tried to be so soft in my initial message. I really am looking for Western Rite hymns in MP3 files that are clear and can go on an iPod. I could just convert a Youtube video of the Divine Liturgy of Saint Gregory, but the quality just isn't there. I mean, converted Youtube files just can't compete. Now, you still might think I'm odd for looking for Latin (or English) hymns sung and/or produced by Western Orthodox Christians. I'm being odd about it because I see it as my 99¢ or $1.29 going to a good place. Not that I object to paying Catholic organisations, no, not at all! I'd just rather see any money for an album going to my own people.

I realise that my response is incredibly convoluted. I'm sure that it barely makes any sense as is currently. I'll check this over in the morning and correct any and all errors.

Oh, thank you, thank you very much!

Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 11:21:04 PM »

As far as latin goes, the skies the limit, there are hundreds of academic quality gregorian chant cd's out there, many of them somewhat obscure and hard to find, but those who collect them or did collect them in the 90's have great collections. Psaltis John Michael Boyer has a spectular collection of both byzantine and gregorian chant cd's (500 to 1000??) that he lets friends and visitors peruse through and listen to with permission.

Most university librarys that have good music schools have excellent selections of western chant cd's too.

However, as for English, I have come to the conclusion that there needs to be made a professional recording of the Office or Mass with english language gregorian chant sung well and as it would have been at least before the reformation (if not before the schism itself).

Dr. William Renwick is someone who'd be very happy to help produce such a cd. I suspect Capella Romana would also have an interest in this. It's reaching a point where this is an important step for showcasing a respectable and mature Western rite liturgy, as the hundreds of english language byzantine rite chant cd's have done to expose many to the Byzantine liturgies.

There's been english language chants recorded by anglicans over the years, but I'm not aware of a single cd that features it properly or exclusively, except for one....but it uses a poor translation!
However, here are two examples from the audio cassette that came with it, which I recorded a few years ago (back when the Roman Catholic Church (and many Anglican Churches) used the "intentionally less accurate" 1973 ICEL translations):

http://www.amazon.com/An-English-Kyriale-Music-Eucharist/dp/0005992699/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1373416732&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=An+english+kyriale

06 - GLORIA V - Salisbury V (Vatican V, PMMS IX) (12th c)
https://www.box.com/s/z9xjwqc810xtlzfhp3h2

15 - SANCTUS I - Salisbury I (Vatican II, PMMS I)
https://www.box.com/s/nyauqwjom4hkvne4dtkx

26 - AGNUS DEI I - Salisbury I (Vatican XII, PMMS I)
https://www.box.com/s/v4nesjbldi4v3kqszfde

The early organum and 2 voice polyphony from before 1300 AD can be especially interesting.
This one is from the 900's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGJvzJvqo_c
this one from the 1100's "In praise of St. John the Baptist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuMZEvg2fSk

(Musica Enchiriadis, 9th century) - sequence: Rex caeli Domine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOMcd-O6Urs

This CD made by Mary Berry showcases even better pieces, though.
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Royal-Anglo-Saxon-Winchester-Century/dp/B000002GT7

The Rev. Benjamin Mayes, a Missouri Synod Lutheran minister did a fine job singing many divine office hymns and simple chants.
The only issue of notice is that a number of the hymn translations are not the most accurate paraphrased translations, but they're not too far off.

We praise Thee, O God (Te Deum laudamus) Mode III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfSl9or0j3s
http://www.llpb.us/Seasonal%20Propers-Sung.htm
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:29:30 PM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 11:40:55 PM »

This is news to me.

I can think of a certain acclamation to the Pope in the "Christus Vincit" litany that would be seen that way, however, in all the chants I have ever seen (I've seen/sung thousands) that is extraordinarily rare circumstance.

I would bet a million dollars that less than 1% of the Latin chants are heretical or inappropriate for Orthodox use.
NOT including post-schism saints. (Even than, what about them is heretical??? other than they are not recognized as saints by Our Church)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:42:32 PM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »

This is news to me.

I can think of a certain acclamation to the Pope in the "Christus Vincit" litany that would be seen that way, however, in all the chants I have ever seen (I've seen/sung thousands) that is extraordinarily rare circumstance.

I would bet a million dollars that less than 1% of the Latin chants are heretical or inappropriate for Orthodox use.
NOT including post-schism saints. (Even than, what about them is heretical??? other than they are not recognized as saints by Our Church)

The doxology at the end of Veni Creator Spiritus needed changing due to a filioque interpolation or whatever.

Christopher McAvoy
Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 01:29:53 AM »

I do not believe that the filioque being suggested in a hymn is heretical, even if Rabanus Maurus may have intentionally composed it to suggest the orthodoxy of the filioque.

The only thing I believe is heretical is it's addition to the creed without the authority of an ecumenical council.

Sergei Bulgakov's work The Comforter states:

"It is a difference of theological opinions which was dogmatized prematurely and erroneously. There is no dogma of the relation of the Holy Spirit to the Son and therefore particular opinions on this subject are not heresies but merely dogmatic hypotheses, which have been transformed into heresies by the schismatic spirit that has established itself in the Church and that eagerly exploits all sorts of liturgical and even cultural differences" pg80 ISBN 9781444337310[213]

(I also recognize that some Sergei Bulgakov's theology was condemned by the Karlovtsy Synod (ROCOR) as heretical)

However, irregardless, I would guess that the number of latin rite hymns, sequences, antiphons & responsories suggesting the filioque remains under %1.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:32:14 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 08:12:11 AM »

I do not believe that the filioque being suggested in a hymn is heretical, even if Rabanus Maurus may have intentionally composed it to suggest the orthodoxy of the filioque.

The only thing I believe is heretical is it's addition to the creed without the authority of an ecumenical council.

"It is a difference of theological opinions which was dogmatized prematurely and erroneously. There is no dogma of the relation of the Holy Spirit to the Son and therefore particular opinions on this subject are not heresies but merely dogmatic hypotheses, which have been transformed into heresies by the schismatic spirit that has established itself in the Church and that eagerly exploits all sorts of liturgical and even cultural differences" pg80 ISBN 9781444337310[213]

(I also recognize that some Sergei Bulgakov's theology was condemned by the Karlovtsy Synod (ROCOR) as heretical)

However, irregardless, I would guess that the number of latin rite hymns, sequences, antiphons & responsories suggesting the filioque remains under %1.

What about Pange Lingua? If I remember correctly, there is a Filioque interpolation there, too. Otherwise, it's a beautiful hymn. The version by Ensemble Organum brings me to tears.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 08:20:59 AM »

Without knowing just about anything about the issue at hand, Filioque is problematic only in case we are talking about the origin of the Holy Spirit. Therefore outside of the Nicean Creed it can be completely acceptable theologoumenon.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »

Without knowing just about anything about the issue at hand, Filioque is problematic only in case we are talking about the origin of the Holy Spirit. Therefore outside of the Nicean Creed it can be completely acceptable theologoumenon.
The end of the hymn, at least the Thomas Aquinas version, isn't too subtle about the procession of the Holy Spirit. Funnily enough, the phrase 'sola fides' is in there, too. :p Though I doubt Thomas Aquinas is asserting the same thing as Luther.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »

This is news to me.

I was thinking of Veni Creator Spiritus.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 11:39:20 AM »

This is news to me.

Cyrillic clarified that back at reply # 5.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »

What about Pange Lingua? If I remember correctly, there is a Filioque interpolation there, too. Otherwise, it's a beautiful hymn. The version by Ensemble Organum brings me to tears.

In Christ,
Andrew

In Polish version (which I really appreciate) there is no Filioque in this hymn, but "the Spirit, equal to Them". And it's one of my favourite hymns, very like to listen to it on Maundy Thursday. I wonder, if WRO sing it then, and if they yes, do they change anything?...

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 04:21:05 PM »

That's one opinion.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »

That's one opinion.

You beg to differ? Why?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »

That's one opinion.

You beg to differ? Why?

I think you go beyond the bounds when you say that outside the creed, it's completely acceptable, and also when you assume that there are times filioque does not talk about the "origin" (not a good word in this case for a Person who exists before all eternity, eternally proceeding from the Father) of the Holy Spirit. Maybe I'm missing an instance when filioque (procession from the Father and the Son) means something else in terms actually worth articulating.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:37:32 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 06:50:07 AM »

That's one opinion.

You beg to differ? Why?

I think you go beyond the bounds when you say that outside the creed, it's completely acceptable, and also when you assume that there are times filioque does not talk about the "origin" (not a good word in this case for a Person who exists before all eternity, eternally proceeding from the Father) of the Holy Spirit. Maybe I'm missing an instance when filioque (procession from the Father and the Son) means something else in terms actually worth articulating.

You misunderstood my point which is probably due to flawed English on my part. Sorry about that. Embarrassed

I actually agree with you. I assumed there might be some hymns that contain Filioque without meaning the double procession of the Holy Spirit within the Trinity itself and in that context a case can be made that is not heretical.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

In Polish version (which I really appreciate) there is no Filioque in this hymn, but "the Spirit, equal to Them". And it's one of my favourite hymns, very like to listen to it on Maundy Thursday. I wonder, if WRO sing it then, and if they yes, do they change anything?...
yes, they sing it.  IIRC, no, they do not change anything in it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 07:58:18 AM »

The end of the hymn, at least the Thomas Aquinas version, isn't too subtle about the procession of the Holy Spirit. Funnily enough, the phrase 'sola fides' is in there, too. :p Though I doubt Thomas Aquinas is asserting the same thing as Luther.

In Christ,
Andrew
No, the hymn for Maundy Thursday is Pange Lingua Gloriosi Proelium Certaminis.  Pange Lingua Gloriosi Corporis Mysterium is Aquinas' (and I think it is for Corpus Christi) with the scholasticism.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »

This is news to me.

a lot of them are "visionaries" which promote cults of dubious origins (angels of light and all).

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »

No, the hymn for Maundy Thursday is Pange Lingua Gloriosi Proelium Certaminis.  Pange Lingua Gloriosi Corporis Mysterium is Aquinas' (and I think it is for Corpus Christi) with the scholasticism.

No. Pange Lingua Gloriosi Corporis Mysterium (if somebody uses the name "Pange lingua", usually thinks about this one) is used on Maundy Thursday (it ends the Liturgy of the Lord's Supper) and Corpus Christi. The full version of it is always chanted on Maundy Thursday, while on Corpus Christi only last 2 strophes (at least this tradition of shortening this hymn is here, in Poland, so it starts with "Tantum ergo"). So I'm just a bit astonished by the fact that this hymns isn't so old, as latin rites, including Novus Ordo, have preserved very old hymns (and customs) only for the time of Holy Week and Easter. I wonder how had been the Vesperal Liturgy in latin rites before this hymn was written

The second Pange lingua should be sung on Good Friday, but now it's done only by those RC, who follow Tridentine Mass and its traditions and rites.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »

And some more MP3s from WRO: http://www.stgregoryoc.org/article/audio-files/

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »

Perhaps it varies, but my parish sings Pange, lingua, gloriosi Corporis mysterium on Maundy Thursday, the ending of which says:

Glory, let us give, and blessing, to the Father and the Son; Honour, might, and praise addressing, While eternal ages run: Ever too His love confessing, Who from One, with both, is one.

This indeed is altered from:

Glory let us give, and blessing To the Father and the Son; Honour, might, and praise addressing, While eternal ages run; Ever too his love confessing, Who, from both, with both is one.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »

That is your problem. Personal opinion is irrelevant when it comes to dogma and doctrine. The Filioque and its inclusion is heresy according to our Church, and if we are to be Orthodox, we cannot question that.
Christopher McAvoy
Elder

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 11:09:40 PM »

That is your problem. Personal opinion is irrelevant when it comes to dogma and doctrine. The Filioque and its inclusion is heresy according to our Church, and if we are to be Orthodox, we cannot question that.

If this is true, than the entire concept of "Western rite Orthodox" is bogus because the byzantine rite majority will never end in finding ways to alter and modify it beyond recognition of what it was before 1100. I do not believe it is possible to have a western rite with this high degree of criticism.

No one ever told me that there was a schism was over the inclusion of the filioque in the an office hymn.
All the books and people I've read and heard said it the schism was because of it's use within the creed.
I am a surprised that it is even possible to have the filioque outside the nicene creed.

It seems to me that this is why some people want nothing to do with the western rite at all.
They feel that the entire concept smells like heresy to a hopeless degree.

I'll ask my bishop about this matter, it is true that it should not be peoples opinions, neither mine nor yours but the bishops.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:16:41 PM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »

If this is true, than the entire concept of "Western rite Orthodox" is bogus because the byzantine rite majority will never end in finding ways to alter and modify it beyond recognition of what it was before 1100. I do not believe it is possible to have a western rite with this high degree of criticism.

No one ever told me that there was a schism was over the inclusion of the filioque in the an office hymn.
All the books and people I've read and heard said it the schism was because of it's use within the creed.
I am a surprised that it is even possible to have the filioque outside the nicene creed.

It seems to me that this is why some people want nothing to do with the western rite at all.

I'll ask my bishop about this matter, it is true that it should not be peoples opinions, neither mine nor yours but the bishops.

Will you switch to the Antiochians now that the ROCOR Western Rite has been surpressed?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »

Fr. Sergius may consider the Flioque a theological opinion, but he certainly doesn't seem to agree with it. I've just recently started reading The Comforter, and in it he makes a couple attempts at least to demonstrate that it's false and does in fact harm a proper understanding of the Trinity (e.g. subordinationism, impersonalism, etc.). That said, he seems to criticize the imprecision of many early Eastern Fathers too that frankly neglected a developed pneumatology and sometimes their triadology (subordinationism from viewing the Father as the Absolute Divine Subject, etc.). If you notice, the second half of the Creed is intentionally ambiguous about the Holy Spirit's Divinity unlike the first half about Christ's Divinity ("very God of very God"). He doesn't seem to go so far as to call any of it heresy, apart from the neoplatonic triadology of folks like Origen IIRC.

Anyway, while I don't personally agree with the Filioque theologically, I do agree that it is not heresy in itself.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 12:57:14 AM »

You've no clue what you're talking about. The Filioque IS heresy. The Spirit doesn't, in any way, proceed from the Son as well as the Father. Such an idea is against apostolic teaching AND against scripture no less.

Heresy shouldn't be included in any hymnography whether its western or eastern. As Orthodox, we have no heresy in our hymns, and the Western Rite shouldn't be any different.

There's a reason our church warns us against joining heretics in prayer and song. I have no problem singing wonderful western hymns. But as soon as we come to one with heresy, I shut my mouth so I don't praise that which is evil.

It simply isn't possible to be Orthodox and also accept that the Filioque is okay. Anyone who does so puts their very soul at danger.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 01:42:25 AM »

Denouncing heresy is a rather low bar to pass.

Now you have learned better.
If we had the WRO the same way the Vatican went about getting its Eastern ecclesiastical communities to submit to it-keeping prayers that do not only do not reflect the newly adopted faith but contradict it-they would be right.
The bishop is not free to overturn the boundary marker our Fathers have set up.

Tags: Western Rite  Hymns  music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: